• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

Great morning at rainton yesterday, met a couple of birders who pointed out where the stint was- thanks very much. One bird was constantly on the far side and my mum picked up another in the 'scope, so two seen in total. Also 2x drake shoveler, 2 so of hirindines round-a-bout, swifts and a few commoner waders and coot chicks also warmed up our time in the bitter hide (I assume that was the freezer?)
Sadly overwhelmed with coursework and gcses until the end of June so unless something special turns up there won't be any county birding.

Hoped the stormy weather might have dropped a few waders into Bishop Middleham this afternoon but certainly wasn't expecting to find this, first on Stoneybeck Lake then later it relocated to Castle Lake.

Attachments

• bm23052011 002.jpg
    bm23052011 002.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 88
  • bm23052011 008.jpg
    bm23052011 008.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 99
As I was putting my bins back in my bag, I found this empty shotgun cartridge in one of the corners on the floor:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckivitt/5751339111/
Hopefully just blown in by the wind, but you never know!!

I very much doubt it would have been fired inside the hide,even if someone was up to no good i doubt they'd be doing it from inside the hide.
Its really a Clay pigeon cartridge 1oz of 71/2's is not much of a game load.

Looks like its been used recently,Maybe just dropped out of someone's pocket?

I very much doubt it would have been fired inside the hide,even if someone was up to no good i doubt they'd be doing it from inside the hide.
Its really a Clay pigeon cartridge 1oz of 71/2's is not much of a game load.

Looks like its been used recently,Maybe just dropped out of someone's pocket?

That would make perfect sense then - there's a clay pigeon shooting place on a farm that's visible from there, and in that wind I wouldn't have been surprised if a few guns hadn't been blown across...

Cheers for the response and putting my (overactive) mind at ease!

That would make perfect sense then - there's a clay pigeon shooting place on a farm that's visible from there, and in that wind I wouldn't have been surprised if a few guns hadn't been blown across...

Cheers for the response and putting my (overactive) mind at ease!

Ah that would seem to make sense then,lets hope thats the answer.

Quick visit to Rainton Meadows at dinner didn't produce anything new. Looks like the Stints have all departed now (McKivitt didn't see any this morning either on his fleeting visit) but did have Ringed Plover, Redshank, 2 LRP's, 2 Oystercatchers and a Curlew.

Quick visit to Rainton Meadows at dinner didn't produce anything new. Looks like the Stints have all departed now (McKivitt didn't see any this morning either on his fleeting visit) but did have Ringed Plover, Redshank, 2 LRP's, 2 Oystercatchers and a Curlew.
I was in from 9am to 11.15am with nothing of note other than what you listed above.

Durham visit

Hi Guys,
coming up to Durham for 3 days from Yorkshire staying at Bowburn anything of interest in the area that i should get to see? have got transport.

Durham

Hi Guys,
coming up to Durham for 3 days from Yorkshire staying at Bowburn anything of interest in the area that i should get to see? have got transport.

Depends on how much time you have each day and how far you are willing to travel from Bowburn. You are very close to a number of really good local sites such as Castle Lakes at Bishop Middleham,Rainton Meadows,Marsden Rock,Durham Dales etc. Let us know how mobile you want to be and the time you have and I am sure many who read this forum will help you.We are a friendly bunch up here !

Last edited:
Depends on how much time you have each day and how far you are willing to travel from Bowburn. You are very close to a number of really good local sites such as Castle Lakes at Bishop Middleham,Rainton Meadows,Marsden Rock,Durham Dales etc. Let us know how mobile you want to be and the time you have and I am sure many who read this forum will help you.We are a friendly bunch up here !f

Many thanks Andy i knew i could rely on you guys.

will check my times for next week sadly got the family in tow!! B :)

I popped over to Bishop Middleham first thing this morning hoping the Spoonbill maybe still around but no sign. Pretty quiet really apart from lots of Coot and Gadwall. Blackcap, Meadow Pipit, Skylark and Tree Sparrow along the farm track. Also quite a few Yellow Wagtail still including brief views of a Blue-headed Wagtail in the windy conditions still.

Tilery Wood - am - Spotted Flycatcher x4, Garden Warbler x4, Bullfinch x6, Jay x2, Long-tailed Tit x6, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Marsh Tit, Treecreeper x2 - all within 100m either side of scout hut. Crossbill x4 and x2 seen but could have been more around in conifer stand 100m after scout hut.

For info I've seen no sign of Nightingale at Cowpen Bewley since last Friday (20th May).

RSPB Saltholme - pm - pretty quiet on the whole. Only one Oystercatcher and one Redshank at the Phil Stead Hide plus the usual Lapwing, Shelduck, Gadwall, Greylags, Swallows, Swifts, BH Gull etc. Worth looking out for the possible transitiva/savignii type Swallows, one in particular is very red underneath and at least two others are reddish buff.

Saltholme Hide - Ringed Plover x4, Redshank x6, Grey Heron, Little Ringed Plover.

Nice to see the Oystercatchers on the main pool viewed from the visitor centre window with four fluffy youngsters, though taking a beatnig in the strong winds and squally shwoers.

At least a dozen Yellow Wagtails along the track to Saltholme hide.

Attachments

• IMG_5195a.jpg
    IMG_5195a.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5030a.jpg
    IMG_5030a.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5605b.jpg
    IMG_5605b.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5634a.jpg
    IMG_5634a.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5453a.jpg
    IMG_5453a.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 63
Depends on how much time you have each day and how far you are willing to travel from Bowburn. You are very close to a number of really good local sites such as Castle Lakes at Bishop Middleham,Rainton Meadows,Marsden Rock,Durham Dales etc. Let us know how mobile you want to be and the time you have and I am sure many who read this forum will help you.We are a friendly bunch up here !f

Andy
I've PM'd you with some info you were after (even though you've just called the North Pennines the 'Durham Dales');)
Regards
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back