• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Flock of 50 Goldfinch at Ridings Lane (nr.Ouston) yesterday, seems early me thinks?

Ray

Excellent thread btw.

I've had a few Goldfinch in and around the Chester le Street area, but not in any great numbers.

Chester le Street park is usually a good place for them, in the past I've had flocks of 20-30 birds.

(o)<

various sources this week....

x1 Ad Little Gull on Rainton Meadows on Wednesday

Med Gull at Shields 27th Ad Roseate Tern on Whitburn Steel 28th

x5 Hawfinch at Ryton (traditional venue), feeding in a cherry tree .

Shibdon Barnacle Geese free flying feral pair with a gosling.

Wrote this a while ago now about an evening at one of my local patches:-
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=5827

Last edited:
I don't often report bird sightings, because i'm more interested in insects, however, when out on the moors near Muggleswick this afternoon i saw the following birds of prey.

Kestral x 2. Common enough I know.
Sparrowhawk, being mobbed by one meadow pipit, and it didn't like it a bit.
Peregrine, possibly an immature, as it stooped at a Wood Pigeon and missed. I didn't know that pigeons had built in turbo chargers, fantastic accelleration.

Harry

Midday: Found an adult Long-eared Owl roosting in a likely looking pieceof habitat, initialy visible with naked eye ;-/

Pair of summering Black-necked Grebes dont look to bothered about trying to breed.

17:30 Tawny Owl feeding 3 well developed young out of the nest. Adult looked totall shocked to see me & was very vocal untill i moved away.
Mobbed by pair of Blackcaps.

Barn Owl carrying prey this evening, heading to last years secure nest site.

Little Owl x1 juvenile appeared to be already independant at same site as BO.

(Barn Owl confirmed to have bred in West Gateshead)

Took 160+ digital photos.... but somehow seem to have erased them all..!
SE

Rainton Meadows.
Adult Common Gull - a decent July bird, picked it up being mobbed by the Common Tern pair, defending their one chick.
18+ LBBGull, 1ad & 2 1st sum BHGull
Ad L.R.Plover, 40+ Lapwing, mostly juvs, x1 ad Redshank
pr + 2 Swallow, 10 Swift 3-4 each of House & Sand Martin.
pr +5 Pied Wagtail, Reed Bunting several males still singing & a juv seen.
adult Water Rail heard twice on pool III.
64 Canadas (only 1 gosling), x1 ad Greylag.
Treecreeper, Bullfinch, male & 1 juv. 3juvvy Kestrel.
warblers still singing included Chiffchaff (strange songster with double quick tempo), Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Sedge warbler, Blackcap.

& Sunday
male Lesser Whitethroat singing at Joes Pond
Grasshopper Warbler singing from nettle patch at RM's
Reed Warbler adult feeding a fledged juv at RM I, & singing bird at Joes Pond.
Crossbill single low over heading west.
Swift 50=Chilton C.Club, & 10+feeding over Nicholsons hill, 1 had a piece of white material approx 4" long trailing from its rump (possibly roof insulation material)
GCGrebe with a large juv.
Dabchicks on 3 waters
Kestrel male feeding two fledglings perched on top of bat boxes.

Attachments

• RMS 010.jpg
    RMS 010.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Waldridge Fell and surrounding area this morning

Kestrel
Whitethroat
Linnet
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Garden Warbler
Yellowhammer
Skylark
Meadow Pipit
Mistle Thrush
Black Headed Gull
Common Gull
Coot
Mallard
Robin
Dunnock
Wood Pigeon
Lapwing
Rook
Carrion Crow
Blackbird
Starling
Magpie
Pheasant
Cuckoo

Also several Grey Squirrel's and a few Hare's.

(o)<

Attachments

• Skylark.JPG
    Skylark.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Grey Squirrel1.JPG
    Grey Squirrel1.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Grey Squirrel2.JPG
    Grey Squirrel2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Grey Squirrel3.JPG
    Grey Squirrel3.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 163
Little Owl in hedgerow on the Langley Park to Quebec road.
Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Snipe, Oystercatcher, Curlew, Lapwing, Bullfinch, Stock Dove and Grey Partridge at Salter's Gate today.

Can I ask if anyone ever checks Saltwell Park in Gateshead? - Or is it so full of picnickers and daytrippers to be of any use to birders?

Steve

Quacker said:
Can I ask if anyone ever checks Saltwell Park in Gateshead? - Or is it so full of picnickers and daytrippers to be of any use to birders?

Steve
There's a few mentions of it in Salty's Gateshead birding thread, but I've never checked it out.

(o)<

Night Heron still around this evening at Holme Fleet. Cracking views of it circling several times before landing in the ditch beside the bus stop sign 50 yards north of Holme Fleet entrance. Also flying to Holme Fleet left side into the reeds and ditch beside the wood at Greatham Creek.

I wish I'd had the Panasonic FZ20 with me - still got a photo of it though - yes I do have a sense of humour ;)

Attachments

• DSCN7653a.JPG
    DSCN7653a.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 224
Little Owl seen near Plawsworth last night.

Also good numbers of Whitethroat, Reed Bunting, Meadow Pipit, Linnet and Willow Warbler at Waldridge Fell.

Just heard on the news that 30 Red Kites are getting released today, as long as the weather stays fine. Wonder how many stay in the region and how many head down to the Chilterns?

(o)<

Friday 8th

Night Heron - Adult seen near Holme Fleet, Cowpen Marsh at 07:45 when it flew over at very close range. (seen to be unringed, trailing one leg)
NB. Bird then continued on at height, flying South Westwards at least as far as Billingham, where it began to descend before going out of sight.

Common Terns - several chicks on the rafts at Holme Fleet
Short eared Owl - single hunting on tip at Cowpen 07:00
2 Greenshank & Common Sandpiper on Salthome West.
Peregrine - family of 5 watched on the wing in an active quarry, (awesome & far more impressive than the NH.)

SE.

Attachments

• 3536nightheron3017-thumb.jpg
    3536nightheron3017-thumb.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Quacker said:
Steve
Hi Steve
nice goose collection there......
have seen gsw & nuthatch, gets wild poch & tuft in winter.
im sure doctor gadwall will know....
[email protected]
se.

Roadside Pool, Bishop Middleham. (Stoneybeck Lake)
15mins in the sun at roadside (17:00) produced:-
Redshank pr & 3 very well grown juvs.
Lapwing 60+ mostly juvs
Yellow Wagtail 2ad & 1 juv
Tree Sparrow 5-6ads & 1juv
Corn Bunting 3 singing birds
Little Owl adult in usual Ash tree

Last edited:
Kite release

Skelly said:
Little Owl seen near Plawsworth last night.

Also good numbers of Whitethroat, Reed Bunting, Meadow Pipit, Linnet and Willow Warbler at Waldridge Fell.

Just heard on the news that 30 Red Kites are getting released today, as long as the weather stays fine. Wonder how many stay in the region and how many head down to the Chilterns?

(o)<

We released 8 kites this morning. With another volunteer I had the privilege of opening the pen for the first batch of three. The first one out was, in fact, Phoenix, No 21, the kite given to the children of Winlaton School to replace Flash ,their kite which was poisoned last year.

It was a wonderful opportunity to see these young kites fly off to total freedom. One stayed for some time at the top of a conifer, and we could clearly see his wing tag 26. nother landed on a very fine branch and ended up clinging on upside down, but he soon regained his composure and flew away strongly across the fields.
:clap:
I shall post some pictures soon............

Bearpark (on western edge of Durham City)

1.5hr stroll with baby & pram this evening:-

14 Crossbill - feeding in Scots pines then off West up valley.
Lesser Redpoll - 2. A male in display flight & a 2nd over contact calling.
Tree Pipit - an adult carrying food. Coal Tit - adult Great Spotted Woodpecker - 1male & 1juv

Green Woodpecker - family party of 5+ in area of open Oaks on edge of pit heap. One of spreckly juvs seen especially well feeding on lower trunk of large dead tree.

Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch all seen.
Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Blackbird
Yellowhammer - couple of males still singing & one carrying food. Skylark - single singing over pit heap. Linnet / MPipit - both numerous, several juvs.
Kestrel - Male & 2 fledged juvs.
Stock Dove - 2pair & 2 singles. Wood Pigeon - numerous. Magpie, Crow, Jackdaw, Rook all present.

Little Owl - Adult perched on ruins & juvs heard nearby. Long-eared Owl - Adult hunting unsuccessfully over freshly cut hay.

Heron - adult flying up following Browney. Moorhen - 1adult.
Grey Wagtail - 1 fledged juv. Pied Wagtail 3. Kingfisher heard only.
Few warblers, singing Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap & Whitethroats.
LBBGull - 2ads

(No sign of:- Gropper, SedgeWarb, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, R.Bunting!, Partridge, Pheasant, Willow tit)

SE.

Photos taken on Sunday by PH ;)

Attachments

• Yaffle juv Bearpark.jpg
    Yaffle juv Bearpark.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Yaffle Bearpark.jpg
    Yaffle Bearpark.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Green Wpkr & juvs

2Taken by PH on sunday in prominant dead oak from public bridleway, showing juvenile female & same bird with the adult female & 3rd pic JF. showing juvenile male.
(more excellent photos on DBC website)
NZ 241 436.
se

Attachments

• Yaffle juv Bearpark.jpg
    Yaffle juv Bearpark.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Yaffle Bearpark.jpg
    Yaffle Bearpark.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Yaffle Bearpark 13july JFoster.jpg
    Yaffle Bearpark 13july JFoster.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Long-eareds

Just had a message saying one of our very keen surveyors has 2 successfull breeding pairs of Long-eared Owls (with 2 & 3 juvs) only 400metres apart at a moorland edge habitat.
We have also had a similar situation at a lowland site too.
Not especially large broods though.
SE

Attachments

• Long-eared Owl.jpg
    Long-eared Owl.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
2 singing Corn Buntings at Sherburn Hill from 2 barley fields

Families of Swifts on the wing.

Grey Wagtail at Littletown, non breeding area

Greenfinch pair feeding young in the nest whilst another male was in calling in display flight nearby

Garden & Grasshopper Warblers & Whitethroats still singing.

Barn Owls hunting last 2 evenings & carrying prey back to 2 seperate quarry nest sites (1 active & 1 disused)

Attachments

• 8711Barn_Owl5-thumb.jpg
    8711Barn_Owl5-thumb.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Little Owl seen and juvs heard near Dairy Lane, Brandon at 7:45pm last night.

Also male Bullfinch and several Red Legged Partridge's of dubious origin.

Swifts - large wheeling feeding flock (350+) close to Elemore Hall.

Ian- pure Red legs breeding freely now, how many did you see/where.
se.

Attachments

• 3294swiftflight04-thumb.jpg
    3294swiftflight04-thumb.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 304
  • RLPartedit.jpg
    RLPartedit.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back