• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

IanF said:
Were they ringed - they weren't when this one was taken on 15th July 2006 a week after hatching.

I seem to remember us publishing a picture of a chick in the hand, being rung (its leg not its neck) in The Lek ;)

IanF said:
Great news that they're back and so soon!

14th April 2006 a pair turned up on North Tees Marshes and I think it was a few days later before they turned up at Wshington.

Were they ringed - they weren't when this one was taken on 15th July 2006 a week after hatching.

The Washington ones Turned up first week in June. The chicks were ringed (LEK photo's confirmed this) one of the chicks disappeared, as did one of the adults, then the remaining chick and adult flew and were relocated on Tees Marshes the next day (or 2 of the 3 were).

Great to think they are earlier this time (assuming the same pair) and certainly more experienced :t:

waste of money??

Bonsaibirder said:
Interesting goings on above Dawdon Blast Beach on the cliffs. At least two separate pools have been dug-out and filled with water, one just next to the more southerly path down to the beach (opposite the stack) and the other at the northern end of the grassy field near the metal foot-bridge. The pools are pretty small and may struggle to hold birds until there is some serious vegetation around them. On the other hand, they may be designed for other wildlife perhaps.

Cheers,
hi steve we were down there yesterday and seen the pools i bet they are for something worthless and nothing to do with the birds.did you see anything while you were there? we seen plenty of skylarks linnets yellowhammers and the little owl but not our target wheatear. we seen a very very pale female chaffinch today that had us going for a while. looked almost white.these snaps are of the Usual quality… pin sharp..just like stevie likes them!! jbee you only have to ask and i will give you some tips!

Attachments

• snowy chaff.JPG
    snowy chaff.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 157
  • snowy chaff2.JPG
    snowy chaff2.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 152
  • snowy chaff3.JPG
    snowy chaff3.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Yep! Just checked the Avocets were ringed in July :t:

Maybe the article from the Autumn Lek 2006 should be reproduced on the web site as it was perhaps one of the most notable events in County Durham that year. The Red Kites are already featured.

A few pics I forgot about from the weekend; Far Pasture on Sunday afternoon.

Quick checks of Rainton Meadows and Herrington CP this afternoon didn't produce many migrants, just a couple of Chiffchaffs at Joe's Pond, even though it did feel rather spring-like in the sun. 8 Goldeneye were still at Rainton too.

Pablo Hugelist was the voice of Durham Bird Club on the radio this afternoon. He was involved in an interview for Radio Newcastle on the return of the Avocets to Washington, along with Dean from WWT. PH did very well and coped with the questions admirably, especially when the interviewer asked him if it wasn't cheating by counting the Avocets in a reserve where there's loads of captive ducks! Paul carefully explained that although many ducks were plastic, the Avocets weren't...

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpg
    IMG_5678.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5671.jpg
    IMG_5671.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5657.jpg
    IMG_5657.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 105
On looking at marks photo of a buzzard ,i`ve noticed a few flights missing.
One of the buzzards at elemore has missing flights in one wing as well,at first i thought some idiot had took a potshot at it , but perhaps they have a partial moult this time of year, anybody know? :stuck:

Things that go bump.....

Barnes Park, S'land
singing Chiffchaff, drumming GSW, pr Grey Wagtail & several Meadow Pipits over north.

Last nights owling nr Durham City brought 4 Littles, 2 roding Woodcock & a surprise encounter while watching a Leo pair.....

I was creeping closer to see where the female Leo was calling from, when i heard something bounding towards me through the long grass.......
(there had been a free-range Doberman on this site a few year back so i imagined the worst case scenario.....! :eek!: )

i stood up & was stunned to see a Roe Buck in full flight !

He quickly veered off barking loudly at the same time. He stopped to stare at me only 25 metres away & barked again, before calmly walking off. He barked again 5 mins later.
It put the wind up me to say the least.... i climbed up an easy Silver Birch (just to be on the safe side) & waited for the owls to recommence their activity. After 10 mins the female began calling again, by this time it was just about dark, although the half moon was casting shadow, combined with Durhams intense light pollution gave good silhouetted views as the male came in wing clapping & deliberately altered course to flush a pair of Mallard of a small pool.
First time i can remember being scared of a British mammal.

Hetton Lyons 2day
1 Per, 3 LO, 1 LEO, 5 Chiffchaff
SE

Barn Owl Survey 2007

Survey is yet to "officially" commence, but another report in last night of a Barn Owl seen flying from an active central quarry location at 20:31, whilst screeching noisily. :t:
SE

StevieEvans said:
Survey is yet to "officially" commence, but another report in last night of a Barn Owl seen flying from an active central quarry location at 20:31, whilst screeching noisily. :t:
SE
Can't imagine you being scared of any night creatures Stevie!
Just back from my evening walk, B.O. heard but not seen

Paul

will@bill said:
hi steve we were down there yesterday and seen the pools i bet they are for something worthless and nothing to do with the birds.did you see anything while you were there? we seen plenty of skylarks linnets yellowhammers and the little owl but not our target wheatear. we seen a very very pale female chaffinch today that had us going for a while. looked almost white.these snaps are of the Usual quality… pin sharp..just like stevie likes them!! jbee you only have to ask and i will give you some tips!

Hi Will,
Surprising how Great Grey Shrike-like the photos looks! PH is down that way later today and was going to call in for a look at it. Where abouts did you see the 'odd Chaffinch'? By the look of the conifer, I presume it wasn't Dawdon?

Last edited:
whitburnmark said:
Hi Will,
Surprising how Great Grey Shrike-like the photos looks! PH is down that way later today and was going to call in for a look at it. Where abouts did you see the odd Chaffinch? By the look of the conifer, I presume it wasn't Dawdon?
Lol! I thought the same when I first saw it. Even blown up, it still looks possible.

Attachments

• snowy chaff3.JPG
    snowy chaff3.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 156
IanF said:
Lol! I thought the same when I first saw it. Even blown up, it still looks possible.
I agree ian, it looks like a g g s to me, its markings look the same ,
Meanwhile i`ve found out that buzzards moult gradually between march and november, with the females losing flight feathers around the time of incubation.
Well at least i neednt worry about them being shot at now

Last edited:
Pair of Avocets feeding on Wader Lake 9.30 this morning and a single Black-Tailed Godwit in summer breeding plumage. Also plenty of Shelduck, Mallard, Teal, Tufted Duck, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Grey Heron and Snipe.

DEREK.C. said:
I agree ian, it looks like a g g s to me, its markings look the same ,
Meanwhile i`ve found out that buzzards moult gradually between march and november, with the females losing flight feathers around the time of incubation.
Well at least i neednt worry about them being shot at now
in ageement derek looks like a great grey shrike to me also.

Whitburn Steel;
1 grey heron
10 eider (8 drakes 2 females)
oystercatcher
5 ringed plover
4 sanderling also 14 at roker
3 dunlin
curlew
50+redshank
turnstone

durham fantastic for wildlife

Skelly said:
Thought I'd create a new thread for those Birders in and around the Durham area, it'll probably go down like a lead balloon though.
Waldridge Fell was my birding choice for last night and tonight. Managed to get Green Woodpecker (1st for the year), Linnet, Yellowhammer, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Grey Partridge, Mallard, Swallow, Swift and a pair of Wheatears.
I had a solitary Red Kite last Tuesday at the Fell, flew off towards Gateshead.
I'm going to try Chester le Street riverside tomorrow, to see if I can get Kingfisher, Dipper, Goosander and Grey Wagtail.
I did have a Wheatear at the Riverside Sports Complex the other night, it was sitting on the skip next to the running track which was a pleasant surprise.
I will try to update every day, that's if I get the chance to get out birding.
Please feel free to post your sightings and words of wisdom.
Til the next time.
B :)
i live on durhams industrial coast and am an ex coalminer .amazing how wildlife and birds especially are returning in large numbers.the coast is now becomming much cleaner,due to the turning of the tide campaign and countryside management.i have just bought myself a nikon d80 and was wondering if anyone can advise on suitable lenses to buy i :hi:

Hi ronaldo,

As this is your first post - welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Lens wise then it really depends on budget and whether you want a birding lens or one for more general use. Personally I find 400mm is about the minimum reach for bird photos - you can get away with 300mm but you need to get really close to the birds (6'-10').

For Nikon mount cameras the Sigma and Tamron ranges are very popular.

The Sigma 400mm prime lens is very sharp and the 170-500mm is pretty good for a zoom as is the 80-400mm. The 50-500mm is a top lens as well but a little heavier. Mind you JBee on here has perhaps the best of all Sigmas for birding the 300-800mm - you need strong arms and a big wallet though!

From Tamron then the 200-500mm is very highly regarded.

This forum has plenty more discussion on various lenses for Nikon Cameras

Got out nice eventually so got back round my local patch again.
Not suprisingly the way things have been lately the first bird seen at elemore is a buzzard been chased by a curlew. I`ve noticed most of the lapwings and curlews seem to have moved off since monday with only 3 pair each left,but the snipe remain ,with lots of noise coming from the marsh . 2 male meadow pipit involved in their parachute display have been joined by 2 pair of reed bunting. Definately a kingfisher about but i`ve yet to see the blighter.
Chiff chaffs have come on this week, only 2 seen last week but heard 10 singing males today.
2 woodpeckers heard druming from near elemore hall school,with another 2 buzzards nearby soaring with a pair of sparrowhawk. A goldcrest right next to me busy nestbuilding, also nice to see the hares doing well in the area with 4-5 seen . 3 pair of stock dove gliding about in display letting me get pretty close which is unusual for them .
I dont know what the tawny owls are up to but there are some wierd noises coming from them at the moment hidden in spruce trees.
Finally i thought i`d try to count the singing robins today and got to 32 then got sick. ;)

DEREK.C. said:
...I dont know what the tawny owls are up to but there are some wierd noises coming from them at the moment hidden in spruce trees...

Are you SURE it's Tawny Owls that are making the noises? From what I've been reading on here lately, strange moaning noises and things hiding in trees could also point to Stevie Evans, still worried about being charged by a Roe Deer!

Come on Will@Bill - get yourself on the computer and put us all out of our misery over the location of the 'Great Grey Chaffinch'! :h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back