• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (13 Viewers)

Ermine moths

On the topic of ermine moths, I took these pictures in June, at Derwent reservoir, they may be ermine moths too. I am not usually very interested in moths I find it a little daunting, but both Dee and I found these quite interesting, there were several trees like this. Pete

Attachments

• Slaley 198 (Large).JPG
    Slaley 198 (Large).JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Slaley 199 (Large).JPG
    Slaley 199 (Large).JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Slaley 200 (Large).JPG
    Slaley 200 (Large).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 160
There's been a few butterflies in the garden today highlight being a Holly Blue.It's only the second one i have seen in the garden this year.Other butterflies seen 4 Small Tort,Peacock,2 GV Whites and Red Admiral.Here is a pic of the Poplar Hawkmoth from the other night.

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Thats some moth!!! My moth trap comes tomorrow. I am, to say the least, a teeny bit excited.
Jas i bet Maria isn't a teeny bit excited. If you bring any moths into the house you will be sleeping in the garden. You should some of the other hawkmoths they are bigger.

Last edited:
Derwent Walk

After hunting in one area and giving up I stumbled across the Hairstreak by chance couldn't believe my luck! I might go to kibblesworth for the purple next week :t:.

Attachments

• THORNLEY 051 - Copy.JPG
    THORNLEY 051 - Copy.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 142
Hi Pete i am pleased you saw one and managed to get a pic.

Thanks Martin, I'm going to record it, along with the grayling I saw last week some one I spoke to last week at kibblesworth told me of one location and I found these at a different location about a mile away so it's good to know there are a few in this area. also saw 3 commas, a peacock, numerous gv whites and a pair of small whites.

Not so many butterflies around at the moment.Had a quick look in Marsden Quarry this afternoon.Saw a few Meadow Browns,Small Copper,Small Skipper,6 Small Torts,2 GV Whites, several Small White and Large Whites.And in the garden this afternoon there were 5 Small Torts,Peacock and Red Admiral.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 140
So Martin you were a secret photographer all along before we know it we'll be seeing you lugging a 500mm lens around everywhere you go:-O

I have seen the odd Poplar and Lime Hawk also a few Humming bird Hawks there are all pretty impressive, I'd love to see an Eyed Hawk or an Elephant hawk though.
Never seen Lime Hawk moth in the wild that's another species which is moving north.I used to breed Eyed Hawkmoths and Elephant Hawkmoths.

loads of whites, peacocks and meadow browns on the thistles at west pastures yesterday and moths some quite large around the camp fire last night along with afew bats (common pips).

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 158
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back