• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dust or Fungus inside binoculars (1 Viewer)

casscade

How do you tell if it’s dust, fungus or maybe even grease splatter? Also can this or will this affect the view?

1619727748755.jpeg
This is some Leica BN trinovids. Is this worth sending back to Leica and can it affect viewing or contrast. Thanks.

It seems like slightly out of focus dust, not fungus.

If the dust is in focus say on the eyepiece field lens, then it will affect the view.

If just general out of focus dust it may only slightly affect the view.
The light source seems to be very bright.

Professional Nikon camera lens users put up with amounts of dust I find intolerable.

Is the binocular still under warranty?
If so, and another binocular is available it may be a good idea to get the binocular cleaned.
If the binocular is fully sealed how did the dust get in?

Where is the dust situated?

I suppose it could be flakes of internal paint.

Regards,
B.

It appears to be smeared grease on the focus lens. Grease can occur over time from the moving elements of the focus mechanism! This reduces the contrast of the image!

Last edited:
That’s another thing that I thought of, I’ve noticed the bins have an ever so faint whiteish tinge to them. I’m going to send them back to Leica next week.

This is typical for the BAs and BNs which will vary in the amount of debris (dustlike). Leica will clean them up nicely. It just goes to show what I have learned is that some of them were not serviced for 25 years, truly a well built glass. Mine had the same issue (not as impacted, but close), a pair of 8X42 BAs, and they came back crystal clear.

Español
Inglés

Anything that gets into the optics will affect image quality. I usually clean them completely. Except when they are sealed and purged.
Whether the dirt is on the field lenses or the eyepiece package is trickier. In your case, I think the dirt is in the prisms, but in the same way, being a binocular with roof prisms, it is almost impossible to work with them if you are not a specialized technical service.
If you have the possibility of obtaining official Leica technical service, it would be best if you take advantage.
In Argentina a Leica is only for the rich.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back