• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dyfi Osprey Project (2 Viewers)

If you mean the Dyfi project then the answer is no. Monty has returned for a fifth year but Nora has not.

There have been a succession of females who are mostly treating Monty as a supplier of fish.

You're right Tiger, these females really are taking Monty's exquisite fishing skills for granted. However, the outlook now looks good and the hopes are for Seren to stay and for the two birds to mate. Nora did the exact same when she arrived in 2011. Nora stayed away from the nest site for a few days after she arrived, and it was only when there was activity at the nest site with another female that she decided to storm back and displace the other female. The rest is history..

Yes, the third pair in Wales (2nd pair in Snowdonia) have returned to their nest site.

Thanks Justin, saw these birds last year whilst sitting out looking for something else. I had a chat with a guy who knew about them. Obviously I won't put any further details on here. It's good news that with all the effort being put in these magnificent birds are getting a strong foot hold in Wales. One day hopefully they will colonize the South

Thanks Justin, saw these birds last year whilst sitting out looking for something else. I had a chat with a guy who knew about them. Obviously I won't put any further details on here. It's good news that with all the effort being put in these magnificent birds are getting a strong foot hold in Wales. One day hopefully they will colonize the South

That's good. Any idea who this guy was? Yes, thank you Minto, details on that pair are not to be made public knowledge due to obvious reasons. Ospreys are certainly doing well now, and there is plenty of scope for these magnificent birds to colonize not just South Wales, but Southern Britain. This is a long term project however.

Well blow me down! What a story-line at the Dyfi! 12 (10) - better known as Blue 12, a female from Rutland Water, who is Nora's niece, who was seen on numerous occasions last season has returned! Watch the live stream now - both Monty, Seren and Blue 12 are in the air, but keep watching and see who lands on the nest next!

Attachments

• blue 12.jpg
    blue 12.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 40
If you're not watching the live streaming, you're seriously missing out! There's at least 4 birds flying around the nest site. Seren has come back to the nest site, and so has Monty. They were both mantling but have since flown off. You can hear the birds call on the live stream now with the audio, it is incredible! There is a mystery bird who we're trying to identify. Help us by watching the stream!

http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/stream

Right, just an update to let you know what's happened. Blue 12 has arrived at the Dyfi, causing Seren to start 'shouting' which can be heard on the live stream. Monty has been busy chasing off Blue 12, and so has Seren I believe. However, there has also been another male in Monty's territory, and like always, Monty saw him off! Blue 12 is still hanging around though - Monty is chasing her off while Seren is making a hell of a noise at times on the nest and mantling to warn Blue 12 off.

A loss of electricity at the project means all the cameras are off, which means the live stream is also down. An electrician, Al Davies, is down there sorting out. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. As it stood, Seren was on the nest with Monty still trying to see off another male, 2 hours on!

Right, just an update to let you know what's happened. Blue 12 has arrived at the Dyfi, causing Seren to start 'shouting' which can be heard on the live stream. Monty has been busy chasing off Blue 12, and so has Seren I believe. However, there has also been another male in Monty's territory, and like always, Monty saw him off! Blue 12 is still hanging around though - Monty is chasing her off while Seren is making a hell of a noise at times on the nest and mantling to warn Blue 12 off.

It is highly unusual for a male to be chasing away a female. Unless of course Blue 12 is male.

Well that's what I thought. I heard there was 3 birds (Monty, Seren and Blue 12) in the air circling and both Monty and Seren were 'seeing off' Blue 12. Then, another bird appeared, which Monty started to 'see off', which must have been a male. So I assumed that this was the bird Monty was 'seeing off' (a male) and that Blue 12 had disappeared. I don't think anyone knows for sure who this bird Monty was chasing all afternoon.

Well that's what I thought. I heard there was 3 birds (Monty, Seren and Blue 12) in the air circling and both Monty and Seren were 'seeing off' Blue 12. Then, another bird appeared, which Monty started to 'see off', which must have been a male. So I assumed that this was the bird Monty was 'seeing off' (a male) and that Blue 12 had disappeared. I don't think anyone knows for sure who this bird Monty was chasing all afternoon.

It is all very odd. I believe that Seren has disappeared today.

Some data on Blue 12 strongly indicated that she is female. Does Monty remember that Blue 12 was around last year. Nothing makes sense any longer. Hope it will eventually.

It's very strange. As far as I'm aware, there has been no sign of Seren since early this morning.

You're right, she was quite a big bird when she was rung, which indicates female. However, it really is strange behaviour. I'm sure Monty recognises Blue 12, but it seems like he still sees her as a threat. Very hard to get my head around it all, and even more difficult without the live stream.

The team at the Dyfi have worked extremely hard over the last couple of days to get the live stream back up for you, and as Tiger has said, the live stream is now working again. The team have had to buy new parts to fix the cameras. I ask for you, the general public, to show your support for all the hard work put in my all at the Dyfi, by donating. It is very easy and quick, and you can donate online by clicking the banner in the top right of the screen on the live stream page (http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/stream)

Every little helps and it really is an excellent webcam - one of the best, even though I am slightly biased. Thank you if you have donated already.

The latest on the bird news is that Seren hasn't been seen since yesterday morning. Blue 12 looked like she may have disappeared, but she landed on the nest shortly after the live stream came back on (about an hour ago), and Monty is still chasing her away. It really is confusing all this behaviour - where has Seren gone? Why is Monty chasing away the female Blue 12? We'll have to wait and see what pans out in the next couple of days.

The team at the Dyfi have worked extremely hard over the last couple of days to get the live stream back up for you, and as Tiger has said, the live stream is now working again. The team have had to buy new parts to fix the cameras. I ask for you, the general public, to show your support for all the hard work put in my all at the Dyfi, by donating. It is very easy and quick, and you can donate online by clicking the banner in the top right of the screen on the live stream page (http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/stream)

Every little helps and it really is an excellent webcam - one of the best, even though I am slightly biased. Thank you if you have donated already.

The latest on the bird news is that Seren hasn't been seen since yesterday morning. Blue 12 looked like she may have disappeared, but she landed on the nest shortly after the live stream came back on (about an hour ago), and Monty is still chasing her away. It really is confusing all this behaviour - where has Seren gone? Why is Monty chasing away the female Blue 12? We'll have to wait and see what pans out in the next couple of days.

My view is that Blue 12 will not be giving up any time soon. She knows that the nest is viable from visits last year and now finds it with no resident female. She will be endeavouring to make herself that female in residence.

Only problems seems to be that Monty does not yet agree.

I'm in agreement with you. Blue 12 must know from her visits last year that this is a successful nest, and seeing that there is no resident female, she wants to take that position. Why Monty isn't allowing her to 'settle' in, and why he isn't 'accepting' her, I guess only Monty knows. He must still see her as a threat from last year.

Monty is sunning himself on the ash tree, in front of the live streaming camera. What a beautiful site it is. Would be a more beautiful site if there was a female there with him. Still no sign of Seren since yesterday morning, and it now looks like Blue 12 has disappeared - for now anyway, she could well be back later on today, or tomorrow - I don't think it's the last we've seen of her.

It has now become clear that Seren was back at the nest this morning. Monty was seen mating with a female on the nest this morning from the viewing hide, and one will assume it was Seren. Blue 12 then appeared and Monty was been trying to chase her away for most of the morning and early afternoon. It looks like Seren is still in the area, and her and Monty are trying to pair up, but Blue 12 is holding their pair bond apart - we've just got to wait and see what happens in the next few days - this isn't in any textbook, so we don't know what'll happen. Exciting times!

Also very confusing times Justin, time is moving on and the new Observatory should be nearing completion soon, should'nt it?

Also very confusing times Justin, time is moving on and the new Observatory should be nearing completion soon, should'nt it?

It is very confusing right now - only time will tell as to what happens. My view however is that Blue 12 knows this is a successful nest, and in seeing that there is no settled, resident female, she is desperate to take up that role. However, Monty believes he has a bond with Seren, and is trying to see off Blue 12. This is only my assumption - it is almost impossible to say for certain what Monty is thinking.

I am going up and volunteering over this weekend, so I will give updates on the observatory. As it stands, work to build the new boardwalk is well underway and should be completed by the end of the month, meaning the public can walk around the whole reserve again. The main observatory is due for completion in the autumn.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back