• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Nest webcam through telescope? (1 Viewer)

Isaac-1

United States
We have a pair of bald eagles building a nest in a tree about 300 feet behind the house, so far I have been using a ten year old 600mm equiv Superzoom camera to snap pictures of the nest, but even with this I need to crop the photos down a bit as even in portrait orientation the nest only takes up about 1/3 of the frame.

Therefore my thought is to use my 480mm Televue Pronto 70mm telescope along with an as yet to be purchased probably mirrorless digital camera with either a micro 4/3 or APS-C size imager to do prime focus photography of the nest. Selection to be based on a combination of budget (as little as possible), along with the desire for features like USB web cam mode, live clean HDMI mode with no timeout, and availability of a battery eliminator power adapter. This would allow me to set up the telescope and camera and watch the live view from TV's, tablets, etc. around the house as well as potentially record it.

Any suggestions on camera models to use? I am thinking perhaps something like a Panasonic Lumix GH3, the weather sealed body sounds nice if it will be left outside on the covered porch a lot. Any other models that I should consider, also what adapters will I need for prime focus photography with this setup?

thanks

Hi,

prime focus with APS-C will not be a lot larger than your 600mm effective superzoom - 480*1.6=768... m43 with a 2x crop factor is better...

Joachim

Those were my thoughts also, however it is not all about cropped image size, other features come into play here as well, sensor resolution, low light performance, stay awake timeout, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back