• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Nest - what is in that nest? (1 Viewer)

LifeIsGood2

Show-Me Missouri
I couldn't tell what the Eagle was doing in the nest, but it seemed to be tending to something. Do they have eggs right now?

Attachments

• EagleCrawfordNesting20140413.jpg
    EagleCrawfordNesting20140413.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 98
did not disturb

I noticed that the gallery says not to post photos of nests etc. Does that include those that are from a distance taken by zooming the lens?

For the gallery, yes. If it is posted here with a behavioural/identification question, I do not see anything wrong, especially as you a zoomed in from a safe distance and not disturbed the bird on the nest.

I think I heard that the eagles in IA (nest widely viewed on www - decora?) have hatched their young in the last week or two.

Its an interesting question. I thought that taking photos of 'rare' nesting birds was illegal - as it could be construed as disturbance. However, I asked the national parks guys here and they said that with modern camera equipment photos taken from a distance were permitted even of Lammer etc...

Also I think some birds are more prone to disturbance than others. This photo here seems, even accounting for zoom, to be taken from fairly close but the bird seems completely oblivious to photographer...

I don't know how rare nesting Bald Eagles are in MO (Missouri?) but I would not consider them "rare" generally. The photo might have been taken "fairly" close but the bird does not seem bothered in the slightest. Lifeisgood2 has good fieldcraft and knows what (s)he is doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back