• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Elite's (6 Viewers)

James,

I think we can, with reasonable certainty. As the Browning, being a 99% copy of the B&L 7x35 Classic, has an Uppendahl prism cluster, the 7x35 Classic will have one too. With respect to its twin brother, the 8x42 1st gen. Elite, I would be greatly surprised if B&L would have chosen for a different - S&P - prism cluster for it.

Renze

What about the 2nd generation, like the 7x36? They look physically very similar to gen 1, only with rubber armour.

Your model was not phase-coated when originally released, but gained it in 1992. So whether your unit has phase coating depends on how old it is.

--AP

So the 2nd generation Elites were phase coated at some point in their production period. Possibly the small cosmetic difference observed by me (knurling and material of focusing wheel) coincides with this coating update?

Renze

Is there a way to tell by the serial number? Mine are 10x42 by the way.

Chad

I don't know if that info has been reported, and I can't remember if there were any cosmetic or labeling changes on the binocular. I don't own that generation of Elite, but I do have a lot of catalogs from that time period which I can check for clues. B&L calls their phase-coating PC-3, so if that is marked anywhere on your bin it would be a good sign. Otherwise, maybe the best course is to test for phase coating yourself. Here is a thread on that topic.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=164208

--AP

I held my binoculars up to my computer monitor with the front objectives facing me and put my polarizing filter between my eye and the binoculars. When I turned the filter a diagonal line appeared one side darker and the other lighter. Neither side goes completely dark but from light to green to purple and then switches sides.

I guess this means they are phase coated.

Thanks for the link.

Chad

Let me show you the different focus wheels of generation 2 in comparison to Chad's sample. They were most likely taken from eBay listings and archived by me as 7x36 and 8x42 Elite. However, now that I've looked them over more critically (sharpening up the picture) I think it's possible that the 8x42 is in fact a 10x42.

Afterthought. As the pictures show a likeness in material of the focus wheel and the eyecups it occurs to me that the rubber on the focus wheel could also be a kind of 'overshoe' to be put on the wheel to give it more grip. Anyone ever heard of this accessory (from B&L or some other manufacturer)?

Renze

Attachments

• Elite 7x36 type2 - kopie.jpg
    Elite 7x36 type2 - kopie.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Elite 8x42 type2 (1c) - kopie.jpg
    Elite 8x42 type2 (1c) - kopie.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Pardon my obsession with focus wheels, but I took a better look at generation 3 Elites and found their fw's seem to have much in common with the 'rubber type' from gen. 2.

Conclusions?

Renze

Attachments

• Elite 10x42 type3 (1b).jpg
    Elite 10x42 type3 (1b).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Here are some pictures. The focusing wheel is metal, not rubber. So is the diopter control.

Chad

Attachments

• binoculars.jpg
    binoculars.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 144
  • diopter.jpg
    diopter.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 112
  • eyecup.jpg
    eyecup.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 115
  • focusing knob.jpg
    focusing knob.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 115
Renze is correct about the material seen on the focus knob of the Elite 7X36 but it is a standard original part of the binocular and it is very similar to the "gen 3" focus knob of the 8 or 10X42 Elites.

Peter

Pardon my obsession with focus wheels, but I took a better look at generation 3 Elites and found their fw's seem to have much in common with the 'rubber type' from gen. 2.

Conclusions?

Renze

I own the 2nd generation Elites (all three, 7x36, 8x42 and 10x42) all purchased new from B&H in 1994, and all have PC-3 phase coatings, and all have the rubber gripped focus wheels (it is not an add-on), similar to the Gen 3 Waterproof Elite. I have that one, an 8x42 bought new in 1996 as well. The ribbed focus wheel without the rubber is an earlier version.

The model numbers on the PC-3 version add a P, so 61-7736P, 61-2843P and 61-1042P for 7x, 8x and 10x.

Mike

Last edited:
Mine must be a transitional model. It doesn't have a P model number or rubber gripped focus wheel, but it appears to be phase coated.

Chad

My 1992 B&L catalog lists the model numbers with the P following the number. The photo of the 8x42 model shows it with the ridged metal focus wheel, whereas the 7x36 model has the rubber covered design. The 7x36 is indicated as being a new model for 1992. The 1993 catalog shows the 8x42 with the rubber covered focus wheel. I know not to read too much into catalog photos, but I think it is likely that the change in the knob design lagged behind the introduction of p-coating in the 8x42 (and 10x42 models). The substrate under the bins suggests that the photo of the 8x42 was taken at the same time as the 7x36 (i.e. was not an older, recycled photo). B&L did a good job of portraying its products during times of transition. For example, the 1993 catalog list and shows both the older pebble finish 7x26 custom compact and the newer plastic and rubber armored model, and the 1996 catalog shows both the second and third generation 8x42 Elite models.

--AP

The 1994 B&L catalogue shows the 7x36 Elite (61-7736P) with rubber covered focus wheel, while the 8x42 Elite (61-2843P) is shown with the ridged metal focus wheel.
Editing was less than perfect. On the next page, my 'NEW' 7x42 Discoverer (61-0742) was described as 'Waterproof/fogproof roof prisms' in the heading, then in the text as '7x42 compact center focus, porro prism'! There are other errors elsewhere too...

Baush & Lomb Elite 8X42 Model Numbers

I have a B & L Elite 8X42 third generation (water proof, rear focus knob) and have enjoyed reading about the history and evolution of the product line. This thread left me with the impression there were three generations, but I have come across an old web page from Optics Planet that shows a fourth generation.

The old Optics Planet web page lists a B & L 8X42 with a Model No. of 62-0842. The picture looks just like my 61-0842. The decription calls them the new 2003 Elites.

Here is the Optics Planet web page:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bausch-and-lomb-elite-8x42mm-waterproof-binoculars.html

I found another posting by Alexis Powell mentioning that the newer 62-0842 has twist up eye cups and possibly rain guard. The Optics Planet page mentions the twist up eye cups but not the rain guard. The eye cups on the model in the Optics Planet picture looks like the rubber eye cups on mine. The Optics Planet description also says the 2003 is the brightest yet. I wonder if that means there was also a coating upgrade?

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=894657&postcount=2

Here is a summary of my understanding of the history of the 8X42:

1st Gen - Model No. ??-???? - Pebble cover, front focus, no phase coating , not water proof

2nd Gen
- Ver 1 - Model No. 61-2843? Same as first except changed to rubber coating.
- Ver 2 - Model No. 61-2843P - Added phase coating

3rd Gen - Model No. 61-0842 - Moved focus knob to rear, water proof, shorter body.

4th Gen - Model No. 62-0842 - Changed from rubber to twist-up eye cups, rain guard(?), coating upgrade(?)

I've attached a photo of my B & L Elite 8X42 Model 61-0842.

Attachments

• Baush & Lomb Elites.jpg
    Baush & Lomb Elites.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 334
Bruce
The Elites were updated in 2003 with the 8x42 (62-0842) and 10x42 (62-4210) roofs and feature FMC coatings, PC-3 Phase coating, Rainguard lens coating, and twist up eyecups, and the armoring is more of a matte finish. The inference is since they are claimed to be the brighest Elites yet, that the coatings were upgraded, possibly to what Bushnell referred to as SHR which was the predecessor to their more advanced XTR coatings.

I seem to remember that later production of the 61-0842 model had already added Rainguard coatings. I'll try to remember to check old catalogs when I get a chance.

--AP

Thanks for the followup.

Tom .... You mentioned that the newer 62-0842 (8X42) featured full multi-coating and PC-3 phase coating. Hope I am correct in thinking that you mean these are not new features that were added with this model, but are a couple of the full list of features. I believe my older 61-0842 (8X42) also has full multi-coating and is phase coated. (I do not know if Bushnell was using the PC-3 name then.) Please let me know if I am wrong.

Alexis ... I read on a post somewhere that you can put a drop of water on the lens and if it does not sheet, but remains a bead/drop, then the lens has rain protection. I tried it on my 61-0842 B & L Elite and it remained a bead. I did the same test on my Nikon EDG II which does not claim to have rain shield coating and the it also remained a bead! So, now I question if the test means anything. I also did the test on my newer (about 2005) Bushnell Elite 10X43 and it formed the same bead. The attached picture is the bead on the Baush & Lomb Elite 8X42 (61-0842).

Attachments

• B & L  Rain Guard Test.jpg
    B & L Rain Guard Test.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 170
Alexis ... I read on a post somewhere that you can put a drop of water on the lens and if it does not sheet, but remains a bead/drop, then the lens has rain protection.

I don't think that is quite right. The issue is whether it is easy to wet the surface. I think a better test is to pour water on the objective and then see if you can shake the bin free of the water, such that the objective is left dry, or with a few residual tiny beads of water.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back