• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Nesting Robin (1 Viewer)

WelshWarbler

Welsh Warbler
I was surprised to see our resident robin start building a nest last Friday 11 February in an open fronted nest box in our Leylandi hedge. She continued adding material Saturday, had a rest on Sunday (weather wet all day) and continued today.

This robin is quite tame and will take dried mealworms from your hand. She raised 5 chicks last year but started much later - in April. The previous year she was unsuccessful, as her chicks were predated (Magpie I suspect) just after they had hatched. Again that was an April start.

Fingers crossed that she will be successful with this early attempt.

Wishing them the best of luck. However, as you said it is particularly early.

I must admit I regularly have a pair of Robins visiting the garden together and I do hope they begin to nest somewhere nearby.

Hi,
I too have a pair of Robins in my garden, them and 4 or 5 previous generations have nested in my garden. Last year I had two pairs nesting, both males took mealworms from my hand and their territorial boundaries appeared to be my patio. They kept me amused for hours with their sparring, never getting into serious disputes ( each knowing their own territory. )
Speaking of early nesting, mine do not appear to have started yet, but on Monday I found a half of a eggshell from a Collared Dove. Allowing for two weeks for hatching, these eggs must have been laid in January.
Dave

Hi,
I too have a pair of Robins in my garden, them and 4 or 5 previous generations have nested in my garden. Last year I had two pairs nesting, both males took mealworms from my hand and their territorial boundaries appeared to be my patio. They kept me amused for hours with their sparring, never getting into serious disputes ( each knowing their own territory. )
Speaking of early nesting, mine do not appear to have started yet, but on Monday I found a half of a eggshell from a Collared Dove. Allowing for two weeks for hatching, these eggs must have been laid in January.
Dave

Haven't seen my Robins busy yet, but both Blackbird and Buzzard seen carrying nesting material in the last couple of days nearby.

Found a juvenile Collared Dove fresh out of the nest last week!

Wonderful to watch I can imagine.
if cold weather kicks in again it will be hard to raise the young.

That's what concerns me!

With a number of birds appearing to be nesting early this year, I hope we don't suddenly get a cold snap. I wonder if the early snow we had in November is anything to do with it.

I saw a robin yesterday with a bill full of moss popping into my garden shed; methinks the finishing touches to the nest. I'm keeping well away to give them the best chance.

I wonder if giving insect-eating birds insects, 'off season', has any affect on their breeding habits? I think many of these birds don't begin their clutches until there are readily available sufficient stores of suitable nourishment for their offspring. This concern is one of the reasons I avoid giving my lovely and friendly Carolina wrens worms, during the winter. The one winter I made meal worms available, it seemed to me the wren began her nest far too soon (nearer St. Valentine's Day, than St. Pat's Day) - in my horses' shed - and the clutch she began did not hatch out. She did go on to successfully raise a second clutch, in a different location - but two clutches per year has been the norm, anyway - just starting later. The wrens do stay here (Elkton, Maryland, USA) year 'round, but make do with berries and the occasional bit of suet (plain, not 'insect laced') in the winter. I admit I always feel a bit 'guilty', when I'm putting out so much sunflower seed, and peanuts, for the seed eaters, during the winter months. Caught the wren in 'hovercraft' position, a few days ago ... ;~}

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 60
I wonder if giving insect-eating birds insects, 'off season', has any affect on their breeding habits? I think many of these birds don't begin their clutches until there are readily available sufficient stores of suitable nourishment for their offspring. This concern is one of the reasons I avoid giving my lovely and friendly Carolina wrens worms, during the winter. The one winter I made meal worms available, it seemed to me the wren began her nest far too soon (nearer St. Valentine's Day, than St. Pat's Day) - in my horses' shed - and the clutch she began did not hatch out. She did go on to successfully raise a second clutch, in a different location - but two clutches per year has been the norm, anyway - just starting later. The wrens do stay here (Elkton, Maryland, USA) year 'round, but make do with berries and the occasional bit of suet (plain, not 'insect laced') in the winter. I admit I always feel a bit 'guilty', when I'm putting out so much sunflower seed, and peanuts, for the seed eaters, during the winter months. Caught the wren in 'hovercraft' position, a few days ago ... ;~}

We have a pair of wren's who last year nested 3 times in..our old 2 grills. :p As far as I know all 3 were sucessful, I'll say 2 out of the three were because I dont exactly remember the 3rd brood.

Also, we had robins in may of '08 nest on our meter on the house, all went well, the babies hatched and then unfortunately a snake found the nest. |:(|
Hoping that the Robins will come back and nest somewhere where I can see them, but far away where the snake cant.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back