• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG 7/8/10 x42 still in production? (1 Viewer)

Brock, thank you very much for your research and for sharing this info. I will most definitely pick some up and test them, next time I'm at a retailer who stocks them. And who knows, it may be the beginning of a porro journey...🍻

James
You're welcome! The Traveller ED is actually a roof, but Opticron sells a variety of porros, some of which have high ER. Opticron bins are made in Japan, others in China. The prices reflect that but so does the fact that porros are less expensive to manufacture.

Chinese optics are "Getting Better All the Time," but I've found that Japanese optics have tighter QC.

Brock

Again two different animals. With the 8 x 30 you’re getting more reach and a wider field of view. But then your giving up a little depth of field. The optics on the E2 8 x 30 is also a step up from the 735. Now if Nikon made a 7 x 35 E2, I’d be all over that.
I'd love to see the same eyepiece used for a 7x35 E2. That would be an incredible instrument and half the price of the Leica 7x35. More like 1/3rd the price. For some reason the 7x35 E2 is not happening, we're left to forage around the internet looking for vintage ones in good condition.

I'd love to see the same eyepiece used for a 7x35 E2. That would be an incredible instrument and half the price of the Leica 7x35. More like 1/3rd the price. For some reason the 7x35 E2 is not happening, we're left to forage around the internet looking for vintage ones in good condition.
I liked the impressive depth of the 7x35 E. It was sharp nearly to the edge, but it's 7.3* FOV only provided a 51* AFOV, which felt tunnelesque compared to the Nikon 7x35 WF with 9.3* FOV. Despite the larger FOV, the sharpness at the edges weren't compromised. That's what impressed me and started me buying Nikons. That and the fact they didn't cost an arm and leg like Swaros, Leicas and Ziess bins.

I sold the 7x35 E, but I still think I have the Nikon 7x35 WF somewhere. It's been MIA for about a year. I also had a Nikon 8x35 WA but didn't like it because of its ultrafast focuser. Odd since it othewrise looked identical to the 7x35 WF. Both had very short ER. Didn't bother me, but not good for eyeglass wearers.

Then I bought an 8x30 E2, and I found "The Better View Desired" with its 70* AFOV and full mullticoatings. This was the first version E2 with the gray body and filmsy leatherette coverings. Then the black body version followed, and finally the 2017 Anniversary Edition with its much improved coatings (and perhaps upgraded glass). Those are the best but I rarely use them since they are a collectable.

Nikon could have upgraded the coatings and increased the ER on the Nikon WF, but instead chose to make lower priced 7x35s in its Action and Aculon series. The 7x35 Aculon had super sharp optics due to aspheric optics, but also steep field curvature and not even on both sides but offset to the left side, so the left barrels outer edge was out of focus and the right barrels inner edge. The twist-up eyecups were huge, couldn't get them in my eye sockets but fortunately, they had no kidney beaning, so I could put the eyecups all the way down and see the entire 9.3* FOV.

Hawke just came out with a 7x30 Marine Series bin (it has center focus), and there are tons of 6.5x roofs, but for the most part 7x30-something bins are no longer made. The last I remember before the Hawke was the Swaro 7x30 Habicht roofs that Steve Moore (mooreorless) had. He liked them for hunting since the focuser was at the bottom, so he didn't have to hike up his hat to focus in the cold (in addition to nature watching, he used them for hunting).

Given the aging population, I thought we'd see more 7x bins, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The 7x30-somethings and even the 7x42 are dying breeds.

So, it was refreshing to see Leica ressurect its 7x35 Trinnie. I look forward to trying one and seeing if the eyecups and ergonomcis work for me.

Brock

Seems like most people like Nikon's wider-field 7x35's from the 90's, but wide field doesn't excite me as much, I'm perfectly content with the classic 7.3 degree FOV. It's still wider than the 7.0 degree 8x42 LXL's I used for many years. From what I see in pictures, the WF 90's models like Action and Gold Sentinel don't have the gem-like build quality of the 7x35E's. Could say the same thing about the SE's, I much prefer the look of the classic E over them.

Wider fields are nice, but smaller ones appeal to me as well, they're somehow easier and comfortable on my brain. It frames the bird in the middle like a great painting in a picture frame. No rectilinear distortion for your brain to process, just a perfectly flat view like a porthole. I like them so much, I've got one 7x35 E being serviced right now, and when it gets back, my new/old 7x35 E-C will be going in for re-grease next.

Brock you should use those E2 anniversary editions! They'll be fine. I plan to use my E-C's and they're irreplaceable at this point. You can always find another 8x30 E2.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back