• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG 7/8/10 x42 still in production? (1 Viewer)

I had the pleasure this week to try out another 10x42 EDG and a 7x42 I’ve never tried before. We had my 8x42EDG on hand as well as a 10x42 Noctivid and my Ultravid 7x42. It seems that I like specific configurations of models more than brands. As far as the 10x42, i liked the EDG better than the 10x Nocs, but its reverse on the 8x42‘s. As far as the 7x42, I preferred the Leica by far. I think a 10 EDG may be in my future.

I'm already there, believe me.

They are already one of my favourites, for their qualities, for sure. For me, I would choose them ahead of anything 8x currently offered by Zeiss or Swarovski. Whether I can really say the same for Leica, is more open to question, but in time there's every chance I'll come to the same conclusion as you. For now, I'm in awe of their control of light in difficult conditions, their ease of view and their natural rendition of colour. They present a very calm and controlled image, always. But, is that what I always want? I'm not sure...

Now, if I didn't wear glasses, the world of porros would open up to me, which could potentially turn all my perceptions/conclusions about binoculars I've tried, tested and owned, on their head.
The Fuji 6x30 has 20mm ER, though I'm not sure how much of that is usuable, but it's enough to close image blackouts if I'm too close. The 7x50 and 10x50 Fujis also have long ER. They are limited for birding in close but they provide a WOW! view that's alphaeseque plus a super 3-D view. The Nikon SE series have 17.5 mm ER, which seems to suit most eyeglass wearers as long as they are not bothered by image blackouts.

The new OB SE has 15mm of usuable ER if that's enough. There are 12 Oberwerk bins, mostly porros, which have 15mm ER or more:

I think he's in Utah, USA, so no fees. When I checked, Kyoie Osaka had a better price than any I could find In Europe. The exchange rates go up and down. It would be nice to not have a language barrier, but Kyoei's manager does communicate well in English.

Yes Brock, 7x35EC Eric Clapton, it's a signature model :) Wow, I do not keep up to date on birds around the East Coast, it sounds like bald eagles are settling in everywhere. Pennsylvania's got some nice land and rivers, pictures of the Susquehanna look beautiful. I think the eagles are fair game to turn up anywhere there's a lake or river these days.

Maybe your giant red-tail will come back. They seem to appear out of nowhere. I've got a medium-size one that stops by my back yard around lunchtime, to check the yard for rabbits & mice. I need to get better at owls, I think they're out there most nights too.
Goliatha appeared in 2015, which was the coldest February in State College, Pa., when the average temperature of 17.3 °F was 12 °F below normal. The lowest temp that year was -8*. The copper pipe that led to the outside spigot, though insulated, burst that night. I found two black and white mice in a bag I had hanging in the cellar with my plug for my electric lawn mower.

I poked a hole in the bag and fed them lactose-free milk through an eyedropper, and then they went up into the walls, and i feed them and gave them water for about a year (left the garage door open in the spring, so they could go out into my wooded backyard, where. they came from, but Blackie, a feral cat wandered in, not sure if they left or he got them, but they disapeared after that. I took Blackie inside. I had already taken in his mother two years earlier.

I miss the birds and squirrels, and I'm sure they miss me since I feed them every day, rain or shine, 0* or 100*, seeds and peanuts. The first winter I left, I went back once a week and feed them. I've got to post some photos, they are on my old computer. Got to transfer all those files off that 20-year-old PC to an external HD before it crashes, and I lose all my cat and wildlife photos and videos.

After the APM 6x30, I might eventually buy one more top banana before squirrling my money away for retirement and calling it quits on new bin purchases forever.

Not that I need another alpha. Even my second sample 8x32 Cabela Guide, which I think has upgraded prism coatings (dielectric) vs. my other samples with lower serial #s, competes very nicely with my 8x32 EDG II. In fact, when I was at the duck pond a few days ago, I found myself favoring it over the EDG due to its more open view (not much wider in actual FOV 8* vs. 7.8*) but perhaps due to greater pincushion and being able to set the eyecups lower than the EDG's before "blacks outs" appear, the view seems more open and easy.

And surprisingly, it doesn't give up much in sharpness and color rendition to the EDG. It's not sharp to the very EDG, but it has a large sweet spot and fall off at the edges is gradual and unobtrusive. It's also a bit easier to handle than the EDG since the bridge is smaller and set back farther. I don't have to think about where to put my hands, I just pick them up and my hands fall naturally in place like a good fitting pair of gloves.

It was chilly, and the Guide's focuser moved easier than the EDG's, which though buttery smooth in warm weather, has more resistance at lower temps.

This experience made me think about how much brand, marketing and reputation can increase the perceived value of binoculars. The EDG might be better than the Cabela Guide, but not thousands of dollars better. I don't think this is a knock against the EDG, which is outstanding, but rather kudos to Kamakura for making very good optics at a very afforable price.

Many hobbysts who use optics, be they amateur astronomers, photographers, birders, hunters or microscopists (they have a forum on Cloudy Nights!), are willing to spend increasingly more money for incremental improvements in thier instruments, which to those less informed and with less trained eyes would not notice any more than a tone deaf person would hear the difference in an audiophile's expensive home theater that aspires to recreate the 'immersive' experience they feel in concerts, stadiums and movie halls. "Yeah, it's loud." :)

With this in mind (and an eye on their continued employment), the Wizards of Wetzlar, Oberkochen, and Absam stir their cauldrens and add a few new magic ingredients to see how to incrementally improve on perfection and increase corpoarate profits.

Now to think about that one more alpha and apply for PayPal Credit. :)

Brock

Last edited:
Maybe we should start a thread titled "The One(s) that Got Away."

The Fuji 6x30 has 20mm ER, though I'm not sure how much of that is usuable, but it's enough to close image blackouts if I'm too close. The 7x50 and 10x50 Fujis also have long ER. They are limited for birding in close but they provide a WOW! view that's alphaeseque plus a super 3-D view. The Nikon SE series have 17.5 mm ER, which seems to suit most eyeglass wearers as long as they are not bothered by image blackouts.

The new OB SE has 15mm of usuable ER if that's enough. There are 12 Oberwerk bins, mostly porros, which have 15mm ER or more...

Brock
Brock, here am I comfortably avoiding the temptation to explore the undoubted joys of porros, using lack of eye relief as my excuse/justification, and you do everything in your power to drive a juggernaut through my defences! 😉

No, I refuse to be tempted...⛔️

🙂

I had the pleasure this week to try out another 10x42 EDG and a 7x42 I’ve never tried before. We had my 8x42EDG on hand as well as a 10x42 Noctivid and my Ultravid 7x42. It seems that I like specific configurations of models more than brands. As far as the 10x42, i liked the EDG better than the 10x Nocs, but its reverse on the 8x42‘s. As far as the 7x42, I preferred the Leica by far. I think a 10 EDG may be in my future.
Interesting. I think, broadly speaking, we're pretty much on the same page regarding this group of binoculars. I, likewise, feel no particular loyalty to a specific brand, but at the top of 'my' tree are the x42 EDG's in 8x and 10x formats, and the Noc's in the same formats. I also had no hesitation in rejecting the EDG in 7x42 format, the UVHD+ equivalent shines far more brightly (not literally 😉) for me.

When it comes to baby/pocket binoculars, my instinct is to look towards Austria and Germany, over Portugal and Japan.

I'm already there, believe me.

They are already one of my favourites, for their qualities, for sure. For me, I would choose them ahead of anything 8x currently offered by Zeiss or Swarovski. Whether I can really say the same for Leica, is more open to question, but in time there's every chance I'll come to the same conclusion as you. For now, I'm in awe of their control of light in difficult conditions, their ease of view and their natural rendition of colour. They present a very calm and controlled image, always. But, is that what I always want? I'm not sure...

Now, if I didn't wear glasses, the world of porros would open up to me, which could potentially turn all my perceptions/conclusions about binoculars I've tried, tested and owned, on their head.

The new OB SE has 15mm of usuable ER if that's enough for you. In fact, there are 12 Oberwerk bins, most of porros, which have 15mm ER or more:

Brock, here am I comfortably avoiding the temptation to explore the undoubted joys of porros, using lack of eye relief as my excuse/justification, and you do everything in your power to drive a juggernaut through my defences! 😉

No, I refuse to be tempted...⛔️

🙂
If you looked through a high quality porro such as an SE or E2 or Fuji, I think you would be hard pressed to go back to roofs except if you needed a closer focus and water proofing. I can live with "splash proof," I have never needed to immerse my binoculars to 6 meters below the water line. :)

You can use ER as an excuse when it comes to WF porros like the Nikon 8x30 E2 or the 7x35 WF, which has 13mm and 10mm ER respectively, although some eyeglass wearers still find the E2's 13mm ER useable since it has a xtra-wide FOV @ 8.8*, so you may still be able to see more FOV than with higher ER porros such as the SEs.

But what you can't use as an excuse is price. You can't beat porros for the best bang for the buck, which is another attractive feature besides the immersive 3-D view, especially considering the high cost of high quality roofs these days.

I was watching one of my favortie guitarists, Tommy Emmanuel, play a concert on TV last night. I was curious what kind of guitar he was playing, which sounded great and could take the heck pounded out of it with his "violent acoustic guitar" style (similar to the late Michael Hedges). I found it was a Maton TEC guitar. Maton is an Australian guitar company, which is why I hadn't heard of it before (Tommy is also Australian).

The list price for his Matson TEC signature model is $2,999. There was a time when I would have had sticker shock at the price, but after seeing the prices on the NL Pure line, it seems pretty reasonable for a top of the line guitar. I would make a lot more use out of it than I would an NL Pure, which I would provbably baby, worrying that I might later want to sell it. But you can't worry about dinging a Matson guitar if you're going to play "voilent acoustic guitar" like Tommy, which entails tapping and banging on the guitar like it was a drum.

But then I look through my $650 8x32 SE and play my $1,200 Zager 50 OM-CE, and I think whadda I'm nuts? The grass always looks greener, particuarly in an expensive roof that's boosted in the yellow and green. :)

Brock

The new OB SE has 15mm of usuable ER if that's enough for you. In fact, there are 12 Oberwerk bins, most of porros, which have 15mm ER or more:

If you looked through a high quality porro such as an SE or E2 or Fuji, I think you would be hard pressed to go back to roofs except if you needed a closer focus and water proofing. I can live with "splash proof," I have never needed to immerse my binoculars to 6 meters below the water line. :)

You can use ER as an excuse when it comes to WF porros like the Nikon 8x30 E2 or the 7x35 WF, which has 13mm and 10mm ER respectively, although some eyeglass wearers still find the E2's 13mm ER useable since it has a xtra-wide FOV @ 8.8*, so you may still be able to see more FOV than with higher ER porros such as the SEs.

But what you can't use as an excuse is price. You can't beat porros for the best bang for the buck, which is another attractive feature besides the immersive 3-D view, especially considering the high cost of high quality roofs these days.

I was watching one of my favortie guitarists, Tommy Emmanuel, play a concert on TV last night. I was curious what kind of guitar he was playing, which sounded great and could take the heck pounded out of it with his "violent acoustic guitar" style (similar to the late Michael Hedges). I found it was a Maton TEC guitar. Maton is an Australian guitar company, which is why I hadn't heard of it before (Tommy is also Australian).

The list price for his Matson TEC signature model is $2,999. There was a time when I would have had sticker shock at the price, but after seeing the prices on the NL Pure line, it seems pretty reasonable for a top of the line guitar. I would make a lot more use out of it than I would an NL Pure, which I would provbably baby, worrying that I might later want to sell it. But you can't worry about dinging a Matson guitar if you're going to play "voilent acoustic guitar" like Tommy, which entails tapping and banging on the guitar like it was a drum.

But then I look through my $650 8x32 SE and play my $1,200 Zager 50 OM-CE, and I think whadda I'm nuts? The grass always looks greener, particuarly in an expensive roof that's boosted in the yellow and green. :)

Brock
Brock, Oberwerk products don't appear to be readily available to purchase here in the UK, but despite your 'pitch', I really do intend to stick rather than twist, with regard to porros. My loss, you'll tell me, but I'll just have to live with that.

If I do come across some 8x30E ii's, I'll certainly take a look, I'm intrigued to know if I'd be able to see the entire field of view, given that the 8x32 UVHD+ work for me (with identical usable eye relief). If I can, I may show more interest.

Brock, Oberwerk products don't appear to be readily available to purchase here in the UK, but despite your 'pitch', I really do intend to stick rather than twist, with regard to porros. My loss, you'll tell me, but I'll just have to live with that.

If I do come across some 8x30E ii's, I'll certainly take a look, I'm intrigued to know if I'd be able to see the entire field of view, given that the 8x32 UVHD+ work for me (with identical usable eye relief). If I can, I may show more interest.
Bentley03,

Two completely different animals, but both are very nice in their own way. I have a brand new, in the box 8x30E2 late serial # 822xxx that I may be putting up for sale. Taken out of box just to check optics and function one time, then back in box for storage. I have three of these. If interested PM me.

Paul

Bentley03,

Two completely different animals, but both are very nice in their own way. I have a brand new, in the box 8x30E2 late serial # 822xxx that I may be putting up for sale. Taken out of box just to check optics and function one time, then back in box for storage. I have three of these. If interested PM me.

Paul
OK, that's all I need...more binos....I'm going to pretend I did NOT hear that :)

It's interesting to hear you guys didn't like the 7x42 EDG so much - that is my favorite of the line. I am gravitating towards the binos with most tolerant eye placement - so far, the 7x42 EDG, the Swaro 10x56 SLC, and the 10x35 E2 are in my "hall of fame" for easiest eye placement. They have minimal rectilinear distortion/RB also. It combines for a "window pane" type view - very natural feeling

Last edited:
Does the 8x E2 have the same ocular design as the 10x I wonder? That would explain a lot about why it's so popular. The 10x E2 reminds me of the EDG eyepiece - very comfortable, accessible view.

Last edited:
Does the 8x E2 have the same ocular design as the 10x I wonder? That would explain a lot about why it's so popular. The 10x E2 reminds me very much of the EDG eyepiece - very comfortable, accessible view.
I don’t know if they’re the same, I’m sure some others might be able to chime in on that. I will say that I do notice that the 8 x 30 has a slightly more comfortable eye box. It could have something to do with a slightly larger exit pupil, I’m not sure. But I can’t see a difference between the 8 x 30 and the 10 x 35.

You're a hard sell, Bentley! Okay, let me make one more pitch walking out the door... :)

Opticron binoculars are available in the UK, and the company makes a number of porro prism binoculars. The OP 6x30 Savannah has 21mm of ER, which means enough useable ER for eyeglass wearers. It has an 8* FOV. 6x might be less than you'd like but it provides an amazing 3-D view in porros. And it's only $189!

The OP Adventurer T WP 8x42 has 17mm ER. The OP Traveller BGA ED 8x32 has 19mm ER and an 8.2* FOV. It's pricer ($549), but I've read rave reviews. There are others with high ER.

Sherwoods sells them:

Brock

The 8x30 would be cool, but it's no replacement for the 7x35 IMO. I want the extra 5mm!! :p
Again two different animals. With the 8 x 30 you’re getting more reach and a wider field of view. But then your giving up a little depth of field. The optics on the E2 8 x 30 is also a step up from the 735. Now if Nikon made a 7 x 35 E2, I’d be all over that.

Does the 8x E2 have the same ocular design as the 10x I wonder? That would explain a lot about why it's so popular. The 10x E2 reminds me of the EDG eyepiece - very comfortable, accessible view.
Yes I believe it's identical. The longer barrels and wider objectives is what changes the magnification and field of view if memory serves.

Yes I believe it's identical. The longer barrels and wider objectives is what changes the magnification and field of view if memory serves.
That's how it works with the SEs, all of which have the same EPs. So, it makes sense Nikon would follow suit with the E2s, which is most the economical design.

However, I think someone on BF, it might have been Henry, switched the EPs in two E2s (or Es) and made different configurations such as a 9x35.

Perhaps Henry will read this and explain the hybrids. He might have switched 10x E EPs with the 7x35 E since they have the same objective size. Don't remember exactly except that somone did an "E" hybrdization experiment a long while ago.

Brock

Last edited:
Bentley03,

Paul
Paul, thank you, I'll certainly bear that in mind, and contact you if I come close to pressing the button. Of course, if they're already gone, they're gone. 🍻

James

You're a hard sell, Bentley! Okay, let me make one more pitch walking out the door... :)

Opticron binoculars are available in the UK, and the company makes a number of porro prism binoculars. The OP 6x30 Savannah has 21mm of ER, which means enough useable ER for eyeglass wearers. It has an 8* FOV. 6x might be less than you'd like but it provides an amazing 3-D view in porros. And it's only $189!

The OP Adventurer T WP 8x42 has 17mm ER. The OP Traveller BGA ED 8x32 has 19mm ER and an 8.2* FOV. It's pricer ($549), but I've read rave reviews. There are others with high ER.

Sherwoods sells them:

Brock
Brock, thank you very much for your research and for sharing this info. I will most definitely pick some up and test them, next time I'm at a retailer who stocks them. And who knows, it may be the beginning of a porro journey...🍻

James

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back