• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG - where are you? (1 Viewer)

I had none of the problems Brock talks about with Nikon 8x32LX. Just thought I was chime in, in case some people might think there was a problem with this sample LX. No trouble with diopter control, focuser speed, the focuser was a dream in this binocular. It just shows some people have problems and others don't I guess.

Thanks for chiming in, lest someone should suspect that I tried to stick you with a bad sample (or you Paul when you traded him the LX for his 8x32 SE).

For our different reasons, we both decided we liked the 8x32 SE better, although I still contend that the LX has the "superior" coatings, with noticeably better color saturation and contrast. It also has a smoother, more ergonomic focuser, but too faaaast for my eyes to catch up.

For me, the SE has better ergonomics, better perception of depth, and 3-D effect, and those factors won out.

The 8x30 EII has the "edg" over the SE in some ways, with it's brighter image, snappier colors, and wider FOV.

If I were Bill Gates, before I handed over my $58 billion fortune to charity, I would commission Nikon to make me a custom bin, which would have the 8.8* FOV of the 8x30 EII; the ergonomics, DOF, and edge performance of the SE; the internal focus, color saturation, contrast, and locking right diopter control of the LX; and the color correction, eyecups, and ER of the EDG.

The Nikon Superior ED. Yours for only $6,999. Pocket change for Bill.

Spacepilot:

Now that is a good thing to hear, a satisfied user who does not have to constantly
move the focus. ;)

Problem, no it is a blessing, as in many optics like this it is a problem.
I think the depth of field in the Nikon EDG is one of its strong points. The 8x32 EDG, is size wise a bit larger, than many of the other alpha's, but does things very well, the focuser is best in class, speed and smoothness, and right now, until Swaro.
brings something forward, the balance of HD glass and great edges does bring
this model to the top. The only 8x32 to counter this superior view is the Nikon 8x32 SE, and in my opinion, which does many things very well, but the EDG, is better all around.

Jerry

I agree with you Jerry and when I compared my 8x32 SE and the loan unit of 8x42 EDG for a week, the view from EDG is a bit better than my SE ;)

So now I need to try the 8x32 EDG !

I had none of the problems Brock talks about with Nikon 8x32LX. Just thought I was chime in, in case some people might think there was a problem with this sample LX. No trouble with diopter control, focuser speed, the focuser was a dream in this binocular. It just shows some people have problems and others don't I guess.

Feel not alone, brother.

Ed

Hi Ed, I only traded because I was not using the Nikon 8x32LX as much after getting the Swarovski 8x30SLC neu. The Swaro is lighter and has the focuser [for me at least] in the right place.;-) I think Brock had trouble with other binoculars resetting the diopter control a lot. I am sure I would love the 8x42 or 8x32 EDG.

Hi Ed, I only traded because I was not using the Nikon 8x32LX as much after getting the Swarovski 8x30SLC neu. The Swaro is lighter and has the focuser [for me at least] in the right place.;-) I think Brock had trouble with other binoculars resetting the diopter control a lot. I am sure I would love the 8x42 or 8x32 EDG.

To set the record straight, the only 8x binoculars with which I've had to refocus the diopter more than twice (close focus and distance) were the 8x32 LX and 8x30 SLCNeu, and the SLC wasn't as "troubling" as the LX.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if I had this same "trouble" with other 8x midsized roofs with fast focusers although I did not find this to be true with the 8x32 EL, which worked as well for me as a full sized 8x, nor did I have to continually reset the diopter on the Pentax 8x36 NV and the ZR 7x36 ED2.

I also never experienced this "trouble" with your 7x30 SLC, the 8x42 LX, 8.5x EL, or any 8x porro, midsized or full sized.

More typically, I have this "trouble" with higher powered binoculars since their depth of field is actually more shallow, but I don't usually have to continually reset the diopter with eights, which is why for me, to use your mentor's adage, "the eights are better".

Nor am I "a party of one" in finding the 8x32 LX's depth perception shallow. In actual measurement, the DOF is only slightly behind the SE and EII, but the fast focuser (less than 1/2 turn from close focus to infinity, which is faaaaaaast even by today's standards) makes the image looked more compressed, which you commented on yourself when comparing the LX to the 8x32 SE.

But as with many things about binoculars, be it focuser speed, CA, depth perception, field curvature, close focus, ergonomics, diopter placement, etc., what floats one person's boat may not float another.

Brock

Last edited:
People who need to tweak the diopter with different distances need individual eyepiece focusing. But this doesn't necessarily mean returning to the stone age. The Leica focusing/diopter setting function is unique among all binoculars, and performs the task of individual, yet center, focusing very elegantly.

When you pull out the thingie on the Leica knob to set the diopter, it separates into a forward and rear cylinder. The rear controls the focus of the right barrel, with no effect on the left. The forward controls the focus of the left barrel, with no effect on the right. So you can hold the binocular in pretty much the normal way, with one index finger on one, the index finger of the other hand on the other, and IF away, with, wonder of wonders, a nice roof prism bino.

This is just the greatest thing since sliced bread for me when I use my 12x50 Trinovid BA for stargazing. I can keep both eyes open and relaxed, hands normal, and watch those little puppies zoom down small. The elimination of defocus aberration lends a lot to the image quality.

No good with heavy gloves or mittens, however.
Ron

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

This is quite a coincidence. I used a Mk II 8x30 SLC for many years and really enjoyed its light weight and up front focuser. In my opinion it's a masterpiece of human engineering design. But, the eye relief is too short for me to use with glasses nowadays, and frankly I've gotten to like the close focus of the 8x32 LX L. It's also an outstanding binocular.

Ed

Last edited:
But as with many things about binoculars, be it focuser speed, CA, depth perception, field curvature, close focus, ergonomics, diopter placement, etc., what floats one person's boat may not float another.

Brock

What floats one person's boat may sink another. ;)

Hi Steve,

This is quite a coincidence. I used a Mk II 8x30 SLC for many years and really enjoyed its light weight and up front focuser. In my opinion it's a masterpiece of human engineering design. But, the eye relief is too short for me to use with glasses nowadays, and frankly I've gotten to like the close focus of the 8x32 LX L. It's also an outstanding binocular.

Ed

Hi Ed,

This is my second Swaro SLcompact ;) My first was the Swaro non p-coated 7x30 SLC that even Brock liked. I am glad someone else likes the focuser where it belongs.;) I don't have any trouble with eye relief with this series, but I can see it could be short for some people. I agree these are not close focus binoculars. I agree about the close focus and focuser on the Nikon 8x32 LX/LXL series. BTW last time I was down to the Lost Creek Shoe Shop they still have my old Swaro 7x30 SLC for sale.

Hi Ed,

This is my second Swaro SLcompact ;) My first was the Swaro non p-coated 7x30 SLC that even Brock liked. I am glad someone else likes the focuser where it belongs.;) I don't have any trouble with eye relief with this series, but I can see it could be short for some people. I agree these are not close focus binoculars. I agree about the close focus and focuser on the Nikon 8x32 LX/LXL series. BTW last time I was down to the Lost Creek Shoe Shop they still have my old Swaro 7x30 SLC for sale.

Well, IMO, the genius of the 7/8x30 focuser design was that it only had to move the objective lens, and was positioned so that it could be operated easily under the brim of a hat. Swaro will still recondition them too. What a deal. :t:

Ed

My old Swaro was made new again by Swarovski in 2003, using my outer lens, had a different serial number. One of the best binocular if you are wearing a hat.

Righto. Mine was remade in 2004...and it got a new s/n. More recently they've been upgrading to Mk III or IV. Must have run out of parts. In fact, mine is a hybrid. But, I love it just the same...

Ed

There's another new Nikon 8x42 EDG2 on UK eBay, this time for BIN £900 (c.$1,450). The EDG2 still seems quite scarce here. I'd like one, but unless/until the prices become more reasonable (even though comparatively good value against Swaro/Leica/Zeiss) I shall continue to regard my SEs and HGs as more than good enough for my purposes...

There's another new Nikon 8x42 EDG2 on UK eBay, this time for BIN £900 (c.$1,450). The EDG2 still seems quite scarce here. I'd like one, but unless/until the prices become more reasonable (even though comparatively good value against Swaro/Leica/Zeiss) I shall continue to regard my SEs and HGs as more than good enough for my purposes...

I think that South West Optics has reduced the price on its EDG range, they will have to reduce it a great deal more me thinks, as you say they are scarce, and shall keep that way at those prices.
Still haven't seen anyone with one yet though...

Further EDG delay?

I wonder if Japan's recent disaster will further delay the EDG 2 launch? Since we haven't seen any official launch announcement yet (that I'm aware of) I suppose it's a floating timeline anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back