• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egg Thief (2 Viewers)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
ARTICLE FROM THE SCOTSMAN NEWSPAPER

Thu 5 Sep 2002

A THIEF who took eggs from some of the rarest birds in Scotland and was described as a "serious threat to British wildlife" has been jailed for six months.

In a landmark case , Carlton D’Cruze, 41, was given the maximum term prescribed for his illegal actions.

D’Cruze’s "obsession" with stealing eggs spanned a 15-year period, during which he targeted rare birds such as the osprey, white-tailed eagle and the golden eagle at nesting sites on Mull, in the Cairngorms, the Highlands, Orkney, Grampian, Tayside and other locations across England and Wales.

South Sefton Magistrates Court, in Merseyside, heard how RSPB officials who raided his home in March said the seizure was one of the most important in the last 20 years.

D’Cruze, from Thornton, Merseyside, pleaded guilty to 13 offences under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 when he appeared in court in July.

The unemployed father of two admitted taking clutches of avocet and marsh harrier eggs from Norfolk and further possessing 453 eggs from species including the peregrine falcon, re-throated diver, little tern and osprey - of which there are only 20 territorial pairs in Scotland.

D’Cruze remained impassive as the chairman of the bench, Mrs Val Jarvis, told him: "The offences are so serious that only a custodial sentence can be justified. Evidence is of a large collection over a long period of time, you were well aware of what you were doing and the likely impact on wildlife."

RSPB officials and Merseyside Police’s wildlife liaison officer later welcomed the sentence, saying it was the longest passed on an egg collector and sent out a clear message that society no longer accepted such behaviour.

During the hearing, Paula Grogan, for the Crown Prosecution Service, told the bench that D’Cruze’s case was one of the most serious and significant to come before the court since the act under which he was charged was established.

She revealed how police and RSPB officials forced entry into his home in March this year where they found D’Cruze "in the process of smashing up birds’ eggs" and destroying documents. The court heard that among the paperwork recovered by officers was a notebook containing a "graphic and rather harrowing account" of how a female eagle broke one of her own eggs in a desperate attempt to defend the clutch during a midnight raid on her nest.

D’Cruze describes the eagle’s distress during the raid on the nest in Oban in March 1995: "When only half way, she started screeching and clapping her wings up and down on the edge of the eyrie, X stopped and asked if he should withdraw, I told him to go for it, so he proceeded up the tree.

"On reaching the eyrie, she had not left - in fact she’d gotten worse, X shouted to me that he could not get her off, I called up to him to remove a branch from the eyrie and ease her off. After a few minutes she decamped and X was able to reach in, only to find the eagle had broken the second egg and so we left it, hoping she would continue to incubate it, both disappointed we had a long walk back."

Miss Grogan told the court that the discovery of six clutches of osprey eggs during the operation was "unprecedented", according to the RSPB.

At D’Cruze’s home, police also found hundreds of maps, details of nesting sites and information on future raids, as well as documentation which led to police raids across the country, with one Coventry collector jailed for four months as a direct result.

The defence lawyer, Daniel Dennis, said his client had a hobby which had turned into an obsession and it was that obsession which had brought him before the courts.

Dave Dick, the senior investigations officer with RSPB Scotland, who was part of the team that raided D’Cruze’s house in Merseyside, said: "We have had four clutches of sea eagle eggs taken since the birds were reintroduced in 1975. There are only 20 pairs left and the reason they became extinct last time was because of people like this.

"Species like osprey have been plagued by egg collectors, with over a hundred clutches taken since they colonised Scotland in the early 1950s."

He added: "We are delighted by the outcome of this case, not because somebody is going to jail but because of the deterrent effect this should have.

"People who are doing this sort of thing will now know that they will eventually get caught, and this sentence sends out a clear message that such offences will not be tolerated."

Adam Harper, a spokesman for RSPB Scotland, said: "The RSPB Scotland consider him one of the most prolific egg thieves in the UK. His history with egg theft and his targeting of the country’s most charismatic and rare birds is the worst we have ever come across.

"What we would like to see now is the same kind of punishment afforded to people who deliberately poison these birds."

BRING BACK FLOGGING:t: :t:

steve

Well, Steve....that makes my incident seem quite insignificant in respect to damage done. However, it is the mindset of these individuals in numbers greater than I want to acknowledge, that make conservation and environmental concerns a continual battle to save our earth's precious and vital resources. It is a shame that this person wasn't caught earlier.

Flogging isn't good enough for this malicious act.

i think six months sends NO message out to anyone.
I suppose we should just be thankful he wasn't caught up here in scotland. least he is doing a bit on time.

is there really an answer to this problem?

i think it is about time people put this "crime" into some perspective. 6 monnths in jail for taking what, in the words of the RSPB themselves, are balls of calcium. burgle a house, mug an old person, pinch a car, vandalise property and do community service at the most. but pinch some eggs, which, in fact, belong to absolutely nobody, and do 6 months in jail. absolutely crazy. while i agree, the taking of eggs upsets people, it in no way detracts from the way any of us live our lives. so c'mon, be sensible here, jail for taking what belongs to nobody is not really a heinous crime.

six months

MAMO

You gotta be kidding, I would of shot the idiot on sight.
you say the eggs belong to no one, they belong to all of us, and we have a duty to see that future generations enjoy watching the birds as much as we do.

I am staggered that you think a jail sentance was to much, I dont think six months is long enough, and six years was nearer the mark
I notice in your profile that you list birds as an interest, are we talking the same language here?
If your point is on sentencing, i.e silly sentences for crimes that deserve more, like mugging old ladies when the offender gets probation, then I see what you mean (I think) but I would still call the stealing of wild birds eggs a HEINOUS crime.

Your welcome here on the forums.

steve

Hello MAMO

You might have stirred up a hornets nest here!

ALL wildlife in any part of the world is part of that countries natural heritage. It is the duty of all citizens to protect it, as Steve rightly points out for future generations. It is a great shame that some idiots choose to abuse the vunerability of some of the worlds natural wonders.

I agree with Steve, 6 years would have been nearer the mark.

burhinus

Mamo...

I'm sorry to say this, but if you are TRULY interested in birds, their natural habitat and more importantly their welfare and ongoing EXISTANCE..... I'm The Pope's wife!!!!!!

I'm almost ashamed to see {and ADMIT} that you're from the same part of the world as me!!!

I don't exactly live in a 'crime-free' area, we hear of something happening on a daily basis.... and as someone who has witnessed the most unforgiveable crime ever, I'm no stranger to these things!!!

The eggs of any bird belong to the bird that laid them, not to anybody else!!! As civilised citizens (well.... most of us are) it is OUR duty to protect them and let nature take it's course, the eggs are laid for the purpose that nature intended NOT to be stolen at will!!!

You may feel that stealing eggs is a 'slap on the wrist' offence mamo, but as you can see by the sentences being handed out,... it isn't! That doesn't mean to say that I think crimes against a person are, they obviously are not!!

In today's society, most crimes committed by the under 30's age group is drug related, hence the burglaries, muggings, armed robberies etc. They are all VERY serious crimes, but after being locked away for a few years {usually in a place where drugs flow quite freely} what do the offenders do? They come back out..... and re-offend!!

Would you think that the guys who stole eggs would re-offend? His crime was not drug related.... and his chances of re-offending would be virtually nil, I'd like to bet there's nobody served two sentences for stealing eggs, because they learned their lesson the FIRST time........ unlike the junkies who are locked up time and again!!!

The system IS messed up and I'm the first to agree with it, but we shouldn't value stealing birds eggs as a 'low' crime when it isn't!!!

JennyWren :eek:(

Re-offence

I think you'll find re-offending egg thieves have been the norm in the past because the sentences were a joke! (as are most).

At long last, a judge with emotions! :D

Fear is the killer! Don't sentence him this time but 'warn' him if he gets caught for the same offence again he will be sentenced to 'life' in a 'secure mental hospital'! Because he's obviously in need of some serious therapy!

i seem to remember "perspective" was a word i used. Jenny, u seem to have lost all sense of it. my intersets are birds and other wildlife, and i'd like to wager i've seen a lot more of it than you. i've also witnessed mans destruction of all kinds of habitats used by wildlife in our area and others besides. that doesn't mean i can't approach a subject with a rational mind. i possess a lot of old literature, detailing the way fellows in years gone by wilfully destroyed any living creature. that being said, egg collectors have never (fact by the way) solely been responsible for the demise of any species of wild bird in this country. you are obviously upset by this characters "obssession" and rightly so. but you surely can't believe that taking eggs is a more serious crime than any of the ones i mentioned in my earlier post, because it is not. your passion for birds may be personal. other members of your family may not share them. but if your house was burgled, every one feels it, like it or not. yet the burglar laughs and walks away, an "egger" gets jailed, and two people on this forum feel it neccassary to comment.

re..."but you surely can't believe that taking eggs is a more serious crime than any of the ones i mentioned in my earlier post, because it is not."

Erm! You appear to be rating the seriousness of a crime by the weight of the sentence served but as 'you' already pointed out, the sentences don't fit the crime, therefore can't be used as a rule of thumb in the above argument, otherwise you contradict yourself. ;)

Most of our laws and the penalties for breaking them are geared around the breaking of trust and honesty.
People have a certain abilty to protect themselves and their property against other people taking advantage, and certainly have the ability to recover / replace stolen items, which is rflected in sentences imposed against offenders. The more serious offences obviously attract stiffer penalties.
Birds and wildlife in general have no protection at all and any offences committed should be punished serverely, such as for egg thieves. Stealing eggs could wipe out any chance of that particular bird breeding successfully in that year. Birds aren't machines, they don't live for ever, like people they can only breed for a finite number of years. Nature throws significant hardship in their direction without Man adding to it unneccesarily. DOn't forget the six month sentence is for someone who has re-offended, it isn't just a one off case.
I'd agree with Mamo that the penalties awarded against someone who has commited a crime against a person are a joke and their minimum sentence should simialrly be for six months for repeat offenders. It does seem slightly ridiculous that you get six months for stealing eggs on three occasions yet get away with a paltry fine or conditional discharge after being caught three tmies for burgling people houses !
Rather than reduce the egg thief's sentence, the others should be increased !

Can anyone give an example of an offender being sentenced to fine/OCD for committing their third burglary?? Just curious....

El Annie said:
Can anyone give an example of an offender being sentenced to fine/OCD for committing their third burglary?? Just curious....
1. 100 hours community service !
2. 3 months imprisonment

But really it depends on the age of the offender, mitigating circumstances, whether a guilty plea was offered, duration period between convictions...........etc
'Burglary' carries a 14 year maximum prison sentence, but actual sentencing can be anything, depending on the circumstances.

I think though that we are better off sticking to discussion on birds and birdwatching on this forum, rather than the inadequacies of our judicial system.

Agree the fine or punishment for offenders should reflect in the way eggers are punished, but when someone breaks into your house (assuming your in!) or mugs you, you on occassions can cry out for help in some way or another, (not allways I accept)_
What about protecting the future of birds such as the Golden eagle in Northumberland (breeding, and we know it, but I, like others will not disclose the whereabouts exactly, I have seen the nest this year by the way!), what hope have these of establishing themselves if these so called "eggers" only fear a few month inside ready to be out next spring again, to try the same again. PS we have the nest looked after pretty well this year! Eggers beware

Spar,

I fear I couldn't agree more. This is giving away far too much, and I know for a fact that the team responsible for protecting these birds would be dismayed to know this detail had been posted in a public forum. I for one would be grateful if all reference to these birds could be deleted, and the sooner the better. I only hope it is not too late already.

Michael

6mths (prob. out in 3) for 15 years work, good odds, without a doubt re-offending will occur, prob. be another 15 years before he's caught again.

Hi Steve,,

The posting second above mine, the one that Spar was talking about, which details a raptor breeding in my county that no-one is supposed to know about.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back