• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egg Thief (1 Viewer)

I have only just joined the forum and I seem to be giving my point of view on things I find a bit distasteful. i.e slagging off pagers and now egg thieves. I can't believe that, in this day and age, that someone like mamo can be insensitive to this problem as he is. Not only that but he tries to justify his stand with his 2nd reply. Thank goodnes for totally common sense replies from the likes of Steve, IanF, burhinus, Jenny Wren plus a few others. I will not add to those comments because they are all correct in their statements, in my opinion.

May I also add that disclosing the whereabouts of any site, however loosely, should be nipped in the bud. It is hard enough for the relevant bodies to protect these birds. We must be that bit more responsible regarding submitting this type of information on an open forum.

I have just witnessed an Avocets nest and have actually taken photos of the bird, showing the eggs. It is on a protected reserve where you can see them from the hide. They are totally unaware of human presence and are about 100 yards from the hide so there is no thought of disturbance with this nest. Whilst I am prepared to put the photo onto the gallery I am not prepared to disclose the site, and that is the way it should be.

We are all in this for the love of birds and wildlife in general. We must do all we can to protect all that we love.

I have to be honest, I am not of the same oppinion as the rest of you re the disclosure of nest sites, it is far easier for a collector to rob a nest if it is being kept secret, if more people were aware of the nest more people can keep an eye on it! i have always been informed, like most of you, that egg collectors have as good (if not better) system for passing on news as we do. All secrecy does is put more risk on someone finding out by accident and passing the news on. (I do however think pager companies and hotlines do a good job of taking sensative news off, if they are asked)

Last edited:
I suppose you are right but then if it is the rush of adrenaline that the egger is after if people were not concerned about the site would the egger just not bother?

I guess like many things in life there will always be someone who is heartless enough to not care about what damage and harm they cause.

Firstly this thread is as old as the site about 9 months.
egg thieves like it or not are never going to go away, every generation will produce some, as for disclosure of Nesting sites on BF, we are not going to censure posts UNLESS they are Blatently going to put a Bird or birds in danger, of course We will assess any post that looks as though it may cause harm, But in the end it is up to members to use common sense.

Goshawk:
I have only just joined the forum and I seem to be giving my point of view on things I find a bit distasteful. i.e slagging off pagers and now egg thieves.

The forums are here For the exact reason of you joining, To express your view on what you find "distastetful" These forums are here for discussion on all topics good or bad.
The last thing we want is 1600 luvies agreeing with each other?

Another mans meat etc......................

I wonder what the nation would think if we adopted the arabic way of dealing with the menace of thieves, any theft would result in the removal of the offenders useful hand! What a good Idea? That way everyone knows you have been caught for theft once, reoffend then you would have no hands, Does that mean if you still managed to steal you would end up 'armless? LOL.
Personally any one who offends nature should be put in the stocks, to be identified at all nature events, and have their faces pasted on posters all over the world, what chance of them not being caught out when attempting to offend again then?

I don't like these characters, but I'm not quite that bloodthirsty!

I'd like to see their jail sentences split into parts - in jail every May for the next 6 years, instead of six months all at once.

Michael

Hello BirdForum.
I am from Merseyside & i read about this case a few weeks back.
Six months is C**P.There was another case not long ago when
a egg thief (I can think off better words to describe them) was
sentenced to six months in prison & fined Hundreds of pounds.
This sick individual appealled,saying he was a single parent and
no one else to look after his children.His sentence was quashed
and he was given community service instead.Here is another case
A Liverpool man recieved a custodial sentence for taking birds from the wild.He has also been banned for five years from keeping
birds listed on schedule 4 of the Wildlife & Countryside act 1981.
In 2000 he & two associates raided a Goshawk nest in Derbyshire
taking two chicks from the nest,he tried to register a bird claiming
that it had been left injured on his doorstep.There is a report i
have written about the concerns over bird registration.If it is
slackened then god help the poor birds.These P***KS seem to
come from my neck of the woods.

Jeff Taylor

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back