• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 10x42 casing deterioration. (1 Viewer)

And Leatherette Covered Habichts

Hi Paul (post #336),

While I can't comment on the current RA covering on the Habichts, I do have two leatherette units from early 2017:
• a 10x40 #A8701, and;
• a 7x42 #A8705.

On the 7x42, over the last few months the covering on each side of the main body has become sticky to the touch (evenly all over the surfaces),
while the covering on each objective is fine - as are all 4 coverings on the 10x40.

So some more for intending Swarovski purchasers to consider.

John

I'm quite surprised some people seem to argue "Just send them off and get Swarovski to put on some new armour. Problem solved". Well, if you send them off before Swarovski did something about that crappy armour the problem isn't solved, is it? If you're someone who uses his or her binoculars a lot, in all sorts of weather, the same old problem may reappear. Sounds like fun. But certainly not like a long-term solution to what is a real problem for the users affected.

Also, am I the only one who positively hates sending off their binoculars to the manufacturer for repairs? It's always a hassle, you have to box them up, then you have to wait for them to be returned, you have to be home when they arrive at your place and so on. Never mind the cost. And you don't have them for an unspecified period of time. Binoculars, especially so-called "alphas", have to work. Reliably, in all sorts of weather, no matter how much you use them. Period. That's what people pay for. Having to send them off to the manufacturer because they relased them before they were ready for prime time just isn't right.

And no, the argument that most people here have got several pairs doesn't stick. Not all birders are compulsive collectors, and even those who are often stick to one or two binoculars they use all the time when birding (as opposed to just fooling around with their "other" binoculars for fun). I, for instance, use just two of my binoculars for serious birding: Canon 10x42 IS and Swarovski Habicht 7x42. I also usually put a small pair in my backpack when I don't expect to use any binoculars, nowadays either the Canon 8x20 IS or my old Nikon HG-L 10x25. All the others are just toys. At least that's what my partner says. And she's right, I'm afraid.

Hermann
Yes , I am in the unfortunate position of living in a "Failed State" (not a thing that I can do about this) , it is absolutely out of the question to send anything out of the country and expect it to reach its destination , let alone getting it back.
Heck , we don't even have a working Postal Service any more.
Courier services MAY still work , but this is terribly expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back