• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 10x42 casing deterioration. (1 Viewer)

Peter, is there any chance this slight looseness was there from when the binos were new and has only been noticed recently?
Lee
No Lee, straight-up they were solid, the armour all round was tight to the body. I reckon it's two years+ of natural hand oil.

It continues to amaze me in general how little of anything over time can have effects never imagined. I think early airplanes used to have rectangular windows, until after a number of unexplained accidents , they pieced together that over time the aluminum corners were more prone to metal fatigue and stress. Cost a lot of lives before that was understood.

No Lee, straight-up they were solid, the armour all round was tight to the body. I reckon it's two years+ of natural hand oil.

It continues to amaze me in general how little of anything over time can have effects never imagined. I think early airplanes used to have rectangular windows, until after a number of unexplained accidents , they pieced together that over time the aluminum corners were more prone to metal fatigue and stress. Cost a lot of lives before that was understood.
OK. I hope the armour doesn't loosen any further, and do remember the armour has to be removeable. Good luck.
Lee

After several years of use I consider binocular armor similar to my own skin. It loosens up, stretches and creaks with use. Solvents break it down much faster than in my youth, excessive sunlight causes blistering and cold weather cracks it open requiring repair with super glue. Thankfully, my self-repair mechanism still functions and I'm fairly well protected from ever-present dangers. Best of all it came with a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the warranty card!

After several years of use I consider binocular armor similar to my own skin. It loosens up, stretches and creaks with use. Solvents break it down much faster than in my youth, excessive sunlight causes blistering and cold weather cracks it open requiring repair with super glue. Thankfully, my self-repair mechanism still functions and I'm fairly well protected from ever-present dangers. Best of all it came with a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the warranty card!
.....and when you finally found it, you die.......

And let's not forget, Swarovski will replace the binocular's "skin" free of charge.

My swaros "new" el wb suffer from similar problems with the rubber parts in general (bought on the end of 2017).
The attachments on the lens covers wear quite fast, resulting on the covers to fall off and loosing them in the field, which can be a bit of a trouble when you're using the bins in habitats/climates where in need to protect the frontal glass. See attached pic. One of the covers was replaced (free of charge) in May 2018. Both covers were replaced again in September 2019 (also free of charge).
Right now the rubber on the body armour has started to show a lot of wear marks, on the underside a large patch of the rubber texture is gone. The rubber on the eyecups is almost loose.
I use this bins everyday. I don't use DEET, and the only sunscreen that might got in touch with the bins would be on the eyecups' rubber. The bins get a lot of Mediterranean sun. Now and then I rinse the bins with freshwater, particularly after a hot day or after seawatching (to remove sweat/salt).
In the past I've used Bushnell Legend (for 9 yrs) and Nikon Monarch 7(for 4 yrs) in similar conditions and didn't had such problems with rubber parts.
Taking that into consideration I think the problem should be related with the rubber used on the new Swaros.
Still, I wouldn't trade these bins. Yet it is a pain in the butt having to pay to send it for service from time to time and not bring able to use the bins for a while.

Attachments

• 20190909_090508.jpg
    20190909_090508.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20190909_090310.jpg
    20190909_090310.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 124
I assume the biodegradable plastic armoring on this binocular is still an expected issue? I am bound to get some deet on it as I spray myself in the summer months. I suppose regular washing with light detergent of the green armoring will help (to help remove any dirt, oils and deet)? For those who had to send in their bins to get the green armoring replaced, on average how long does it take for Swarovski to return it?

I have lost 2 pairs of Vortex 8x42 bins in 2 years due to leaving them on the ground when taking a photo of a bird. I want something I never have to take off around my neck, something compact, light and unobtrusive.

I assume the biodegradable plastic armoring on this binocular is still an expected issue? I am bound to get some deet on it as I spray myself in the summer months. I suppose regular washing with light detergent of the green armoring will help (to help remove any dirt, oils and deet)? For those who had to send in their bins to get the green armoring replaced, on average how long does it take for Swarovski to return it?

I have lost 2 pairs of Vortex 8x42 bins in 2 years due to leaving them on the ground when taking a photo of a bird. I want something I never have to take off around my neck, something compact, light and unobtrusive.
Here you go.

Whats with NL Pure 42 Rubber Armour? The Same? My one Year old NL 8x42 is in good Condition. But the Rubber is very sticky.... I have to clean them often.
I do it with the Soap and Brush. But After washing the Rubber is more Sticky. Is clean, but sitcky.

Whats with NL Pure 42 Rubber Armour? The Same? My one Year old NL 8x42 is in good Condition. But the Rubber is very sticky.... I have to clean them often.
I do it with the Soap and Brush. But After washing the Rubber is more Sticky. Is clean, but sitcky.
New formula for a more eco-friendly armour. Send them to be serviced.

I’ve never liked that sticky feeling rubber, always seemed to be worse in warm humid weather making them attract dust/lint etc and impossible to keep clean..wiping them with a so called lint free cloth still manages to make them worse, don’t even think about using a cleaning wipe or tissue!

The rubber used on the rain guard seems to be far superior to the rest of the body, as does the rubber on my hawke Ed x!

Matt

I wonder if the true cost (economic and environmental) of eco friendly materials is ever measured.
That’s exactly the point. Binoculars are not something like toothbrushes. Normally we buy an alpha level pair of binoculars to use for years. Changing biodegradable casing for few times in the lifetime of binoculars might involve high carbon footprint (for transportation) and high ecological rucksack. For me using of biodegradable materials for the outer rubber armor is unrealistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back