• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eleonora's Falcon Satellite tracking programme (1 Viewer)

ESTEBANNIC

For the second year running juvenile and adult eleonora's falcons have been satellite tagged again this year on Mallorca and the Columbretes islands. At the moment they are all on the move to their wintering grounds in Africa. As you can see on the maps, the theory that these falcons migrate via the red sea has gone right down the pan!!!!

http://www.seaturtle.org/tracking/index.shtml?keyword=falcon

(click the "I accept" to gain access)

I hope you all find this as fascinating as I do....

Cheers

Steve

It does look like more or less direct south to tropical Africa and then more easterly towards Madagascar. However, I do assume that the reason for the Red Sea hypothesis is that birds have been seen there in the past, which begs the question: where do those birds come from? Greece, or somewhere else?

Cheers
Niels

Fascinating - thanks for this Steve.

Since 80% - 85% of the world's breeding population breed in Greece (an estimated 12 300 pairs) it's not surprising that the Red Sea route was thought to be universal... but it's great to have this information.

Thanks,
Hils

Most of the Eleonoras have reached Madagascar. Amazing how different birds have all arrived within a few miles of each other and how the general migration routes after the Sahara are similiar, down throught the great lakes. Lets hope we get to see some on the way back in spring!!o:)

Most of the Eleonoras have reached Madagascar. Amazing how different birds have all arrived within a few miles of each other and how the general migration routes after the Sahara are similiar, down throught the great lakes. Lets hope we get to see some on the way back in spring!!o:)

Fingers crossed you will see some come back in the spring Steve,I know I am looking forward to seeing my colony return in 2009.

What we need is all the Eleonoras to be satellite tagged, then we might have a chance of catching up with one wandering to the UK!

John

Can't find the report at all in the link, just Peregrine's in the States. Even typing Eleonora's in the search box produces nothing.

Was interested in this as I saw an dark-phase Eleonora's Falcon way out at sea on a Mediterranean cruise several years ago.
I presume this research suggests they do not fly out at sea on migration?

I couldn’t find anything on the Eleonora’s on that site either Nick, but I doubt the research concludes that they don’t fly across the Med though. For example, if the Balearic Isles breeders headed for mainland Spain to migrate to Africa they would eventually be seen regularly at the Straits of Gibraltar watchpoints and as far as I know they aren’t. They surely fly south directly over Wolves supporters on cruise ships instead ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back