• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (6 Viewers)

Others have already commented on the Essex birding email list that Rossi hasn't been seen, despite a number of locals putting in some time and effort. I would be surprised if he returned now, this late in the year, given that I think he's usually back by late August.

Ah! Was going to head to East Mersea this afternoon, but left it too late. Instead, I called in at Abberton Reservoir where: a ring-tail Hen Harrier was hunting near Wigborough Bay, viewed from School Road (though no sign of the recently present male); and two Short-eared Owls put in a very late appearance, in the very last light of dusk, by the south-west corner of the Layer Breton causeway (where they have been showing well over the last few days). Also of interest in north Essex is the report of a Glossy Ibis at Fingringhoe Wick.

Stewart

Some friends and I went to Fingringhoe Wick on Monday but it was closed, alas, I may have been able to find my second Essex description species in a month! Seem to be a fair few SEO's about, perhaps remaining to winter from the recent influx?
Hoping for a nice Hume's Leaf Warbler at Bradwell soon!
Happy Birding
D

I'm not sure if this is a highly localised thing but there appear to be no sibes in Essex at the moment despite there being decent numbers along other parts of the east coast. Is this due to lack of observer coverage or are there just no birds hitting this part of the coast? There doesnt appear to have been very much wind the last 3 days so maybe this is having an impact...Things have gotten so bad I twitched the Glossy ibis today!
Im aware that there has been a significant movement of thrushes in the last week or so, but this has hardly registered in the areas Ive been watching!
Id be interested to hear if this is the experiance of others as well.

D

To put some further context, up to 2008 there were 42 Pallas's record in Essex, max 8 in 1994. Interesting note in "The Birds of Essex" that one Pallas's Warbler has been recorded for every 2-3 Yellow Browed (as of 2004). In that context the ?minimum? four (Bradwell, Holland Haven (2), Frinton) reported this autumn hasn't been bettered since five in 1996. The NE coast is generally the most likely spot, presumably before the Kent, Suffolk/Essex sandwich narrows.

Not sure how much The Naze is being watched at present, but plenty of effort still going in at Frinton and Holland Haven etc. Other than the thrushes, not much evidence of other stuff arriving at present (gloomy and fairly poor vis at sea again today).

Paul

That's a surprisingly high ratio of Pallas's to Yellow-browed - interesting! I'm sure it would be much lower in e.g, Norfolk.

Thanks for the response's guys, I thought it may be down to observer coverage, though I didn’t think that aspect would play a huge part, as Essex faces roughly same direction as Suffolk (ENE) and there seems to be a number of birds getting picked up there recently. There appears to be plenty of decent habitat and a fair few promontories which on paper look great for migrants. I’m always surprised to see so few birders working the Bradwell area, with such concentrated areas of scrub forming decent migrant traps and a decent mix of other habitats I’m surprised that it’s so quiet.
I’m aware that there are plenty of great birders putting in lots of time (particularly at Frinton, Holland Haven and Mersea) I guess I’m just surprised by how few reports come out.

D

p.s. I’m sure that that ratio of Pallas's to YBW must be amongst the highest on the east coast!
Happy birding!

Generally Essex is and has always been the poor relation to Norfolk, Suffolk and Kent and really isn't anything to do with Observer coverage as such, its down to geography. Suffolk sticks out further than Essex whilst it is true that North Essex is on a similar plane the coastline rapidly heads west the further south you head.

North Kent sticks out further to the east then South Essex and gets far more than we do down here. Reculver for instance often gets Yellow-broweds and Pallas's Warblers, RBF's and so on annually whilst our best migrant spot in the south, Gunners Park, we would be lucky to get a Yellow-browed at all. Reculver is visible across the Thames.

Birds such as Raddes and Dusky Warblers as well as RBFs and even OBPs appear annually in Norfolk and Suffolk whilst Essex both are major birds.

We simply don't have the right coastline compared to the other east coast counties.

There are occasions when some excellent birds found but a lot of effort has to be put in.

When some sites in Norfolk and Suffolk get falls of Pied Flycatchers we are lucky if we get one in Gunners and its not for the want of trying.

Basically Essex just ain't Norfolk.

I hadnt thought about the coast curving westwards I must admit. Its a great county though and Im really enjoying getting out into new areas, I guess I should consider myself extremely lucky to have found Richard's pipit and Firecrest already in that case! I visited Gunners park recently and was sad to see the levels of development, I know you mentioned this before Steve, but I hadnt expected to see so much habitat being ripped up for development, along with developers working shortly after first light!
Im sure Essex will have its turn in the spotlight again soon, until then, I shall be less disappointed next time I head out and dont see bushes drooping under the weight of migrants!

Happy birding

D

Pleasant few hours on Mersea today with Red-breasted Goose, Black Brant, Red-breasted Merganser, Red-throated Diver, Eider and plenty of waders.

Phil

I would be interested to hear what others think about the RBG on Mersea; there were a pair kicking around Abberton this summer, could this record relate to one of these individuals re-appearing? Alternatively there has been a significantly large influx of geese into the UK this last week and this individual arrived at roughly the same time...

Think I heard the Abberton birds were still about and are both ringed while the Mersea bird is unringed (couldn't tell on todays views). I think the Mersea bird's credentials are about as good as you can get as far as wildfowl are concerned. I like to see any rare ducks and geese badly and in appalling weather conditions to at least give an impression of wildness.

Phil

haha, fair enough. I wasnt aware that they (the Abberton birds) were ringed and I must admit this individual would appear to be a good cat A candidate. I may have a trip up myself at some point, I cant really remember seeing the Holkham individual a few years back. Hopefully there should be a couple of Bean's passing through at some point.

There have been two pairs at Abberton over the last couple of years. The first pair commuted between Abberton and Heybridge and were both ringed (red over yellow if I remember correctly but don't quote me on that). This year's pair were unringed and the consensus was that they were different birds as it was thought unlikely that both had managed to lose all their rings. Understand the Mersea bird is unringed also and also that again the local belief is that this one may well be pukka..........check the Mersea island website for more detail

http://merseawildlife.blogspot.com/

There have been two pairs at Abberton over the last couple of years. The first pair commuted between Abberton and Heybridge and were both ringed (red over yellow if I remember correctly but don't quote me on that). This year's pair were unringed and the consensus was that they were different birds as it was thought unlikely that both had managed to lose all their rings.

Wasnt aware of a second pair at Abberton...one of the pair I,ve seen there,as you say,had red and yellow rings,I feel that the Mersea bird is probably genuine,recent weather conditions and time of year being good for one of the small amount of RB geese that sometimes end up in western Europe getting caught up with the Brents,but almost certainly wont get accepted...

PH

Went to see the RB Goose today, with Bean Goose. Black Brant and Lapland Bunting thrown in for good measure :).

Eventually had excellent views before all the geese were driven off by a rather irresponsible dog-walker who let her 2 dogs run amok in the field.

To my eyes the RB Goose seemed to be quite brownish on the mantle, with quite a lot of white on the coverts. Not sure if this is indicative of it being a first year bird as it had a well-developed cheek patch.

I have only seen the RB Geese at Abberton with rings, not without...but if there were 2 without, they might be birds from N Warren.

Anyway I think there is a fair chance this bird is wild, given Mersea's track record & Brent Geese track record as a carrier species.

Cheers

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back