• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (5 Viewers)

red kite over Rayne 11.32, 16-3-15

right over my head at about 100ft in shalford road, rayne (north end of village green), at 11.32 heading south east,came along line of shalford rd from north west.

Would have skirted notley rd area of braintree (I lost it before it got that far) and line would have taken it towards Kelvedon or Witham. My first of year.

Eagle at Sheringham this morning..well and truly gone from Essex skies.

Well, don't give up on the bird quite yet. Now seems to have travelled south into Suffolk and last reported over Woodbridge. So, not too for to go before it's back in Essex skies!

The U turn that the bird has done to travel south out of Norfolk (where, admittedly, it did run out of land when it hit the N Norfolk Coast), might yet give credence to the fact that it did indeed do a couple of U turns when in Essex.

Somebody put a nice big bit of carrion out for it, and it might just settle for a while!

PS. Remarkable sketch and notes by Richard Allen on the EBwS website.

Stewart

Last edited:
I have no knowledge or guess as to the source or veracity of the other reports on Saturday, or the Chelmsford/Rayne sightings on Sunday morning. (Steve Halstead appears to report that the Rayne sighting was at 7.30am, but I don't know if he got that information at first, second or third hand.)

Stewart

It was posted at (edit, clarification on time not present) on Birdguides app by Mark Bicknell, this was after corroborating reports "saw" the bird heading south.

On this day in question, I took the lead of the sightings and headed south, stopping at different vantage points on the a130. I circled Rayne first at about 9:00 parking at local spots I know nearer the other side of the village from the Flitch way and old station park points.

Then I travelled fast to Chelmsford to see if any sign was there, pelting through the army and navy, passing the river points near Paper mill lock, no sightings, but some clear sightings of buzzards, unmistakable however and certainly not a barn door.

From here I stopped near the turn off to south w ferrers, marsh farm, canvey turn off (that sh**y roundabout system on from rettendon, I think its called sadlers farms or something

At no point, from 2 hours of scanning did I see a thing (eagle-wise) It seems it was either at rayne or not, but as usual, no pictures were present. Not to say I disbelieve Bicknell, he has amassed enough work in the field to have a clear idea of a buzzard to an eagle and know that something is wrong or different. (rayne sighting)

The fuzziness, is the south going trail from here. 0720ish I see I have a message on facebook claiming its about, 2 miles away from me, but I don't act on it until 9 as this is when I see said message.

Did the bird go through Chelmsford, a pic is posted as part of the sighting, however the picture shown is clearly identifiable as the North Fambridge Saturday flight pic, given the different weather and the fact it is the same picture (a giveaway)

Where ever it went, where ever it was seen, it wasn't by me. hmph.

I can work on a more rigid time line of events, but the fact is, it still results in nothing I can add to help this, however, possible new breeding behaviour sites for buzzards were listed in my book and I will pop them down to the recorder this weekend.

Last edited:
right over my head at about 100ft in shalford road, rayne (north end of village green), at 11.32 heading south east,came along line of shalford rd from north west.

Would have skirted notley rd area of braintree (I lost it before it got that far) and line would have taken it towards Kelvedon or Witham. My first of year.

Do you ever have a walk down the flitch way?

Also, two weeks off coming up (in 2 weeks) so lets suit up and get out.

It was posted at (edit, clarification on time not present) on Birdguides app by Mark Bicknell, this was after corroborating reports "saw" the bird heading south.

...It seems it was either at rayne or not, but as usual, no pictures were present. Not to say I disbelieve Bicknell, he has amassed enough work in the field to have a clear idea of a buzzard to an eagle and know that something is wrong or different. (rayne sighting)

So that would be the third time he's claimed a White-tailed Eagle in the Braintree / Witham are in the last 7(?) or so years!! Added to that several other claims of rare or scarce species which were never photographed and miraculously vanished just before others arrived, and coined the phrase 'The Witham Triangle' I think I know which side of the fence I sit.

So, from Fambridge to Wivenhoe, then in a straight line to Swaffham area, up to the north Norfolk coast, back east, and not reliably reported anywhere else in the interim. Hopefully the report from Woodbridge yesterday was correct and it's on its way back to the homeland..:t:

So that would be the third time he's claimed a White-tailed Eagle in the Braintree / Witham are in the last 7(?) or so years!! Added to that several other claims of rare or scarce species which were never photographed and miraculously vanished just before others arrived, and coined the phrase 'The Witham Triangle' I think I know which side of the fence I sit.

So, from Fambridge to Wivenhoe, then in a straight line to Swaffham area, up to the north Norfolk coast, back east, and not reliably reported anywhere else in the interim. Hopefully the report from Woodbridge yesterday was correct and it's on its way back to the homeland..:t:

Sorry if my post has caused contention, just saying as I saw.

Steve,
Absolutely no problem with your post whatsoever, apologies if it came across that way, and good on you for actually bothering to go out and look for it.
The man to whom you refer just winds me up, that's all!
Cheers,
Neil.

Yes, I am happy to court controversy here and state that I am agree entirely with Neil's post above as well as his earlier one.

It's pleasing that Andygolfer says he saw the eagle over Rayne and I have no reason to doubt this however the other birder you mention (also based out of Rayne) has a track record of claiming White-tailed Eagles over Rayne, this would be his third one! In addition he went through a spell of claiming all manner of birds which were all single observer and unsubstantiated and outrageously rare, and in a few cases, simply misidentified. I personally would not attach any value to any claim by that said birder - sorry if that sounds harsh but my experience teaches me otherwise.

Responding to Neil's earlier post, I too am firmly in the camp of Number 3) - a series of misidentifications. Essex seems particularly adept at claiming multiple sightings of birds such as this from all corners of the county which are often possible and probable sightings.

I wouldn't mind betting that if by way of an experiment, an entirely fictitious bird, such as an eagle was phoned through onto the news service heading north through Essex from Rainham or Canvey, I am sure there would then be several subsequent sightings of the fictitious bird from other points in the county!

Those that know me, know that I can be cynical but for me this creates a healthy degree of cautiousness over claims and has served me well over the years. I don't wish to offend anyone but I am simply putting forward my views based on many years of experience of birding in our county.

There is still a hope, of course, that the WtEagle will continue heading south after being stuck in East Anglia and we'll get another bite of the cherry - fingers crossed!!

Last edited:
Yes, I am happy to court controversy here and state that I am agree entirely with Neil's post above as well as his earlier one.

It's pleasing that Andygolfer says he saw the eagle over Rayne and I have !!

He states he saw the red kite over rayne, but a report that the eagle passed him with no actual sighting, lest I be wrong

Generally the way it goes

Yes, that's how I read it too, Red Kite no eagle.

Yep, should have read that more closely. I'm still pleased that Andy Golfer saw a Red Kite! but this throws further fuel onto the fire of doubt regarding the 'other' observer as it appears he was, once again, the only person in Rayne to see a White-tailed Eagle.

If he is to be believed then Rayne is rapidly becoming the epicentre of large raptor migration through East Anglia which at least means no expensive trips necessary to Israel or Gibraltar :t:

Last edited:
Its like the time I thought I saw a rare species near the army and navy roundabout on the fields to the left as you approach highlands park.

The missus and I had just had a row and it was clearly not a time to beg for clemency and to turn around (she was driving) as I wasn't prepared to admit I was wrong on something (still don't think I was) but its ok, I just dusted myself off, put it down as something much more common and sulked for the rest of the day.

Or the time I was told I was looking at a really rare species in Northumberland and looked like a complete gimp when I posted it and suffered sweat inducing humiliation from people I had regard for. The bonus of having no reputation is there is nothing to lose.

:)

Its like the time I thought I saw a rare species near the army and navy roundabout on the fields to the left as you approach highlands park.

The missus and I had just had a row and it was clearly not a time to beg for clemency and to turn around (she was driving) as I wasn't prepared to admit I was wrong on something (still don't think I was) but its ok, I just dusted myself off, put it down as something much more common and sulked for the rest of the day.

Or the time I was told I was looking at a really rare species in Northumberland and looked like a complete gimp when I posted it and suffered sweat inducing humiliation from people I had regard for. The bonus of having no reputation is there is nothing to lose.

:)

Hi Bitter_bugger,

I have just sent you a PM but for everyone out there, particularly if you are new to the game, we can not possibly be expected to identify everything we see.

It's fine to just let it go as unidentified if you get insufficient views, or to ask for assistance but do be cautious before claiming a particularly rare bird if you have any doubt. Other birders would be happy to help you if you ask.

Good luck and stay truthful and honest!

So that would be the third time he's claimed a White-tailed Eagle in the Braintree / Witham are in the last 7(?) or so years!!

11th Nov 2007 - Braintree
20th May 2008 - Braintree
15th March 2015 - Rayne

Are these the three 'reported sightings'? Oh deary dear! A quick scan through BUBO life lists for Essex indicates that nobody has White-tailed Eagle on their list, but someone appears to have seen three!

Yes, Fambridge to Wivenhoe to Swaffham was surely the flight path.

Stewart

15th March 2015 - Rayne

Are these the three 'reported sightings'? Oh deary dear! A quick scan through BUBO life lists for Essex indicates that nobody has White-tailed Eagle on their list, but someone appears to have seen three!

Stewart

Can I claim petrol back, if so does the form come from EBWS or Facebook?

15th March 2015 - Rayne

Stewart

Yes, that sounds about right, as I remember the first two were less than a year apart. I think at the time, there hadn't been one in Essex for something like 100 years!:eek!:

I think this should be used as a lesson learnt scenario for newer birders out there.

It is easier to get a bad reputation of claiming lots of outrageous unfounded/unsupported claims of significantly rare birds to try and get a name for yourself than to get a good reputation of finding good, supported, multi-observed photographed and documented rare birds.

Getting a good reputation often takes hard work in the field, supported by evidence so when the odd cock up happens its a case of 'everyone makes mistakes' and he good rep saves the day. Having a bad reputation means getting a good Rep is doubly hard. If whilst having a bad rep that person does then find a real rarity generally no one will believe them and they still have the overarching bad rep.

If he did in fact genuinely see a WTEagle last week the consensus is that he didn't because of his track record thus his bad rep is firmly stuck and he'll have a hell of a job turning that around into a good one.

He may have genuinely seen the WTEagle but given the birds movement at the time, I am in the camp that it was not a WTE over Rayne. The bird may have taken a reverse action now after reaching the north sea in North Norfolk but I cant believe that a bird that was on a nortbound trajectory would suddenly do a U-turn when it is in the North East of the county (Essex) to head all the way back to Witham Triangle half way across the county in the wrong direction then to only reappear in Suffolk on a still North Bound trajectory.

I hope for Mark that he does find something good one day that many people get to see and to start building a positive view from other birders its just a present many just don't believe anything he claims.

As for the Eagle itself lets hope it does reappear in Essex

The eagle is apparently heading south along the Suffolk coast from Minsmere as I type - guessing it's been looking for an 'exit' and doesn't fancy a sea crossing in these weather conditions. Let's hope it ends up back where it started in a couple of days time..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back