• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eswatini June 2019 not sure which species (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Here is a bird from Eswatini taken 15th June 2019 that I found in the Southern Black Tit folder for that year. Drag and drop error obviously.

I need help in identifying it please. Possibly an immature Black Cuckoo Shrike?

Thanks very much in advance

I have the unaltered originals if that helps, I can post them too.

Attachments

• ARD_1375.JPG
    ARD_1375.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 27
  • ARD_1376.JPG
    ARD_1376.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 27
Thanks James. I don't think the tail is forked, at least not cleanly and it looks like one of the center tail feathers is missing or tucked behind others. Also there is some barring on the vent/undertail coverts

Thanks Andy,

I'll leave it as unidentified and file it in file 13 as I better shots of both birds mentioned to date.

Hi Andy,
Just a technical note re the new country name. I think it rather oddly, was written eSwatini when I first became aware of the change?

Hi Andy,
Just a technical note re the new country name. I think it rather oddly, was written eSwatini when I first became aware of the change?
Yes, you are right. I think it is decsription of their country, ie land of the Swazi's, possibly "of the Swazi" 'of the' being the e part... My Swazi is probably up there with my San. I might have learned a few words while I was there, but no longer remember them. If I was to live there permanently I would try harder.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back