• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Summer Migrants Wintering in Europe (2 Viewers)

Himalaya

Which summer breeding species from Europe that winter in Africa or Asia have spent the winter in their breeding range or other parts of Europe? Swallows seem to spend quite a bit of the winter in some southern Britain locations - have they been recorded doing this on the coast of Northern France, Spain, the Mediterranean coast or the coastline of the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Germany?

Which summer breeding species from Europe that winter in Africa or Asia have spent the winter in their breeding range or other parts of Europe? Swallows seem to spend quite a bit of the winter in some southern Britain locations - have they been recorded doing this on the coast of Northern France, Spain, the Mediterranean coast or the coastline of the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Germany?
A coincidence or something more?
During late December 2014, a Reed Warbler and 2 Common Whitethroats were present in a 70m ditch, in the centre of a NEast London (Leytonstone) roundabout, a more incongruous location one would be hard pressed to find, also Water Rail, Stonechat and Song Thrush… the mind boggles! 😮

A coincidence or something more?
During late December 2014, a Reed Warbler and 2 Common Whitethroats were present in a 70m ditch, in the centre of a NEast London (Leytonstone) roundabout, a more incongruous location one would be hard pressed to find, also Water Rail, Stonechat and Song Thrush… the mind boggles! 😮

I remember that - were they recorded later in the season? I think they were but not sure.

The Purple Heron spent the winter in the Fylde, Lancashire feeding on voles from maybe November/December 2019 maybe until early spring 2020

A few Swallows were present in Zeeland, the Netherlands in January 2016, but they did not last through February. If the heating trend continues, they'll manage soon enough...

I remember that - were they recorded later in the season? I think they were but not sure.

I believe the Reed Warbler disappeared circa post December 21st and the Common Whitethroats about the same time?
Here’s a shot of the RW, a very odd looking “gingery” washed bird, with yellow legs/toes and in some lights a yellowish bill.

Attachments

• 60BCA48A-A08A-484C-94FD-79351EFE6CDF.jpeg
    60BCA48A-A08A-484C-94FD-79351EFE6CDF.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 18
There is clearly an increasing trend for at least part of a population previously regarded as a summer migrant to spend the winter in Europe, including the British Isles. This must be being driven by milder winters increasing the survivability of remaining resident.
This seems to be more common with shorter-distance partial migrants, which are perhaps more likely to respond to weather rather than something like day-length changes. Marsh harriers and chiffchaffs are more common in winter in northern England for example than they used to be, but I guess they've always overwintered in small numbers further south? In Southern Europe white storks remain for winter in numbers now when I believe more used to migrate.
I haven't seen a swallow here in Portugal over the past few weeks, but quite a few are being recorded locally on eBird - perhaps more surprising are recent records of species like short-toed eagle and booted eagle that I wouldn't have expected to stay around over winter.

Ne’er saw it….what was it?
It was a Reed Warbler originally touted as a possible Blyth's... there was quite a bit of correspondence about it including a skit in Not BB.

The point I was making is that it was in December: attempts at overwintering are not new.

John

To notice a change in “one’s lifetime” of Southern species colonising the realm and tran-Saharan’s overwintering, is no small testament to climate change.👍

There is clearly an increasing trend for at least part of a population previously regarded as a summer migrant to spend the winter in Europe, including the British Isles. This must be being driven by milder winters increasing the survivability of remaining resident.
This seems to be more common with shorter-distance partial migrants, which are perhaps more likely to respond to weather rather than something like day-length changes. Marsh harriers and chiffchaffs are more common in winter in northern England for example than they used to be, but I guess they've always overwintered in small numbers further south? In Southern Europe white storks remain for winter in numbers now when I believe more used to migrate.
I haven't seen a swallow here in Portugal over the past few weeks, but quite a few are being recorded locally on eBird - perhaps more surprising are recent records of species like short-toed eagle and booted eagle that I wouldn't have expected to stay around over winter.
Lesser Whitethroat seems to be developing a tendency to winter in small numbers.

All the best

Paul

It was a Reed Warbler originally touted as a possible Blyth's... there was quite a bit of correspondence about it including a skit in Not BB.

The point I was making is that it was in December: attempts at overwintering are not new.

John

Agreed not unknown but nevertheless highly unusual?
Three trans-Saharan’s overwintering (late Dec.) in a traffic island ditch in NEast London, from my standpoint is almost incomprehensible! 😮

Think it must say something about the micro climate and the mix of plant life there within, apart from steep sided banks with nettle and bramble, the most important “perch” for “all”, seemed to be Giant Hogweed.

From which frequent sallies were made by the Warblers and the Stonechat, as I understand, a plant that is not tolerated by local authorities due to it’s considered toxicity.

John, are there any images and date of the Welches Dam warbler?

Cheers

Three trans-Saharan’s overwintering (late Dec.) in a traffic island ditch in NEast London, from my standpoint is almost incomprehensible! 😮

Think it must say something about the micro climate and the mix of plant life there within, apart from steep sided banks with nettle and bramble, the most important “perch” for “all”, seemed to be Giant Hogweed.

From which frequent sallies were made by the Warblers and the Stonechat, as I understand, a plant that is not tolerated by local authorities due to it’s considered toxicity.

Cheers
Oh yes. It was discussed in both Birdwatching and Twitching/Birding World. Can't remember the dates, it was yonks ago and it turned out to be only a Reed Warbler, so who cared anyway? :ROFLMAO:

John

STEs near Cape St Vincent in December a couple of decades ago...
MJB

Obviously not a long distance migrant, but whereas in the 80's you might be lucky enough to see an over-wintering Chiffchaff, this morning I easily counted five.

Cheers
Pete Wheeler got some pics, including one from behind where the emarginations could just about be made out, sealing the deal on the ID as regular Reed. Think I have some copies (from the olden days of buying prints from car boots at twitches), and I'm sure they appeared in Birding World at the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back