• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Summer Migrants Wintering in Europe (2 Viewers)

I had a couple of unseasonal sightings in Greece recently, of up to 5 Night Herons and 3 Wood Sandpipers at Lake Karla. I think the Night Herons seem regular there now in winter, but the Wood Sandpipers were pretty unusual for Greece at this time of year. Species like Whiskered Tern, Marsh Sandpiper and Swallow have all been seen in Greece over the past week or two.

I hope everybody reads this, as it’s quite an incredible venture which can be supported through donations.
It’s already having positive results for the Turtle Dove and hopefully will continue to do so…simply amazing!

Cheers 👍

Interesting. We already get occasional overwintering turtle doves in Cornwall. There's also someone locally who's bred and released them for years, under licence, with some idle speculation that maybe it's his birds that are overwintering.

My interpretation was that the 345 overwintering were still in captivity for release next year, with just 155 of the original 500 released so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back