• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extender1.7x storage when not used (1 Viewer)

yves0071

France
Hi,
I have an extender that I sometime use but most of the time, it stays in my backpack. Even if there is cap at each end, the body can take dust, scratches. So I place it in a zip bag but it is not perfect.
(I know, fotos takers have there equipment stored in a dedicated back pack with with tissue separators but I personally do not carry optical equipment like that. My Scope is always mounted on tripod on one shoulder, ready to use) !)

And you? How do you manage it? Are you using an additionnal box?
Thanks in advance and best regards
Yves

I have a cloth pouch for it - reused from something else, but fits right and has a draw-string to keep it closed.
Had it previously in a neoprene pouch, but was a bit too snug; the pouch is just easier ofcourse.

I store mine in the little Swarovski bag that contains their cleaning kit (having removed these). A number of suppliers have provided these free of charge when purchasing Swarovski binoculars and telescopes in the past. This is then carried usually in my camera bag, though to be honest its seldom used as I’m reluctant to take my scope to pieces in the field.

I keep my Kowa extender in the padded case I got with a Leica eyepiece.

Attachments

• pouch.JPG
    pouch.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 52
Hi,
I have an extender that I sometime use but most of the time, it stays in my backpack. Even if there is cap at each end, the body can take dust, scratches. So I place it in a zip bag but it is not perfect.
(I know, fotos takers have there equipment stored in a dedicated back pack with with tissue separators but I personally do not carry optical equipment like that. My Scope is always mounted on tripod on one shoulder, ready to use) !)

And you? How do you manage it? Are you using an additionnal box?
Thanks in advance and best regards
Yves

Hi yves0071,

I use a Tasmanian Tiger (MOLLE system) camera backpack and TT pouches. Maybe a TT pouche is suitable for your situation (https://www.tasmaniantiger.info/en/product-category/tactical-equipment/pouches/). PS. I’m not affiliated to TT.

Regards, vd Berg

Hi Yves,

Good idea Richard for the Kowa; but I think too small for the Swaro one.

My plan is to 3D-print a suitable cylindric container for the Kowa Extender I just bought, perhaps allowing room for a bit of foam at the top and bottom.

The same approach might work for the Swarovski extender, I guess.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Yves,

My plan is to 3D-print a suitable cylindric container for the Kowa Extender I just bought, perhaps allowing room for a bit of foam at the top and bottom.

The same approach might work for the Swarovski extender, I guess.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Henning,
Please share picture when you will have your 3D printed box ready ;)
Best regards
Yves

Yves,

Forgot to mention that it does NOT work for the Swaro 1.7x. Too small.

Pretty much perfect fit for the Kowa 1.6x though.

Hi Yves,

Hi Henning,
Please share picture when you will have your 3D printed box ready ;)
Best regards
Yves

Here you are:

Kowa EP Box 1.jpg Kowa EP Box 2.jpg Kowa EP Box 3.jpg Kowa EP Box 5.jpg

I think it should be fairly easy to modify the design to match the measurements of the Svarowski extender, but as I don't have that one available myself, I can't take the required measurements for that modification.

Regards,

Henning

I invested in a Pelican case for all the components of my ATX/BTX systems. If you're talking about storage at home, I don't think it really matters what you keep it in, as long as it's cool and relatively dry. If it's in a sealed container, best to throw in a silicon packet. But it's a pretty robust, nitrogen-purged item, so I don't see storage as being a big challenge.

This is what I use and it works great, I use the small one and the others came in handy for other thing, and there cheap

Altura Photo Thick Protective Neoprene Pouch​

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back