• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farm birds in Dorset. (1 Viewer)

Retrodaz

Does anyone know a good place to see barn owls, quails, partridges and red legged partridges in Dorset. I'm trying to get new birds for my blog, and wanted to aim for the above. I'm also after corn buntings, but imagine I've missed them now.

Hi Darran, Had Corn Bunting at Wyke Down yesterday, get good numbers through the winter in the area especially along the Ackling Dyke. Also get Grey and RL Partridge here throughout the year.

Quail will have to wait till next year as all have migrated for the winter. Will be always hard to find as they are pretty scarce in Dorset nowadays as well as being a bird that you are more likely to hear than see. Wyke Down again used to be a good place but as stated they are declining. Just over the border into Hampshire at Martin Down is the place I always go to year tick them as they still breed there.

Hope this helps

Thanks, very much. Short eared owls are seen there too right?
I will have to try and get down in the next week or two. I'm currently up to 140 birds and it would be lovely to see something new :)

Farm Birds in Dorset.

Hi Darran, Had Corn Bunting at Wyke Down yesterday, get good numbers through the winter in the area especially along the Ackling Dyke. Also get Grey and RL Partridge here throughout the year.

Quail will have to wait till next year as all have migrated for the winter. Will be always hard to find as they are pretty scarce in Dorset nowadays as well as being a bird that you are more likely to hear than see. Wyke Down again used to be a good place but as stated they are declining. Just over the border into Hampshire at Martin Down is the place I always go to year tick them as they still breed there.

Hope this helps
Its nice to see at least here you get good numbers of Corn Bunting through the winter months, up north into derbyshire sadly there Non Existant now and apart from the occasionally singles seen in the Summer months they have gone off the radar here now.

Thanks, very much. Short eared owls are seen there too right?
I will have to try and get down in the next week or two. I'm currently up to 140 birds and it would be lovely to see something new :)

Yes SEO's use the area most years. didn't see any Tuesday although weather wasn't great, also not heard any reported yet so it may be a bit early. I know I had them in early December last year, but in 2013/14 they didn't turn up at all!!

I need to open my range a bit, so though it would be a good place to try. I assume there are no hides or viewing points.

Hi Darren,

Good tips their from Pooleparrot about Wyke Down seen some nice birds there bit early for SEO. I have also had Corn bunting at Badbury Rings on and off not easy to find though and think there are some at Maiden Castle.

there are lots of Corn Bunting at Maiden Castle, also Yellowhammer, and if you are lucky, Grey Partridge.
Lots of Golden Plover in the winter too

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back