• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight tripod with fluid head for scope - recommendations? (1 Viewer)

And what about the MVH-400AH? Cheaper and lichter. I am thinking to buy this one for my swaro ATC 56.
Reinier, I had both the MVH-400AH and Sirui VA-5 for a while. The Sirui does weigh a little more but is very close in terms of size and compactness.
The absolute advantage the Sirui has over the Manfrotto is its functionality. It really works much better and is definitely more solidly built. I used the small Manfrotto in combination with my Opticron mm3 50 ED but, eventhough that being a small and light scope, the Manfrotto was strugling to hold the Opticron. Not to mention that I never really felt like it was gonna stand the test of time. The Sirui on the other hand is a real joy to use. I sold all my fluid heads and I swear with those Sirui heads. I am considering an ATC as well and I already know I'm going to buy a second VA-5 when I purchase the Swaro.

Grtz

At the moment my ATX 65 is mounted on the VA-5 without any problem. Not a chance the Manfrotto would me capable of doing that.
About tripods, I really like the Leofoto tripods and more specific the Urban LX serie wich has 3 leg sections (Very compact and thus fits my trollie when going by plane) and still is sturdy and stable. I have at the moment the LX-324CT but there are other sizes as well wich are all very decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back