• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Green Teal - Brampton, Ontario (1 Viewer)

This looks "off" for an American Wigeon.
Yes, it looks most like a Wigeon due to:
  • Short bill, mostly gray
  • Gray head with fine patterning

But there are some things that strike me as odd:
1. The amount of patterning on the sides and back of the bird
2. Head looks less 'dainty' than typical
3. Bill color isn't the typical light gray with dark tip, but appears to have some pinkish hue to it?

What do I think it is? I suspect it's a hybrid Wigeon x something (Mallard?) But I hope for others to comment. Perhaps I'm just unfamiliar with this plumage of a Wigeon.

Edit: perhaps this is simply a young Mallard with a stubby bill?

I can't see Mallard here. Plumage, shape, bill colour all wrong. The overwhelming likelihood is that it's an immature American wigeon although I'm not 100% sure you can rule out European: perhaps the flanks are orange enough to allow this, and hence the head-body contrast.

Some of the "features" like the "pinkish" bill are due to visual artifacts (apparent contrast here) I feel.

Classic female-type plumage for AMWI. Scapulars and tertials look pretty fresh, so it could a hatch-year bird or a female just completing a molt. Not a male in eclipse.

Thank you all for your input. Photo was taken end of March 2022. Was right about the time we had Wigeons on the lake.
Because of the small size, I thought Teal. Now however it makes sense. Thanks again.

What do you think about the patterning on the sides? I cannot find any similar photos of an American Wigeon. ¯\(ツ)

Not disagreeing with the ID, but would like learn if it's normal :)

I agree with discounting Mallard

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back