• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guide recommendations for dragonflies and butterflies needed (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi,

I just started to get interested in insects but as this is such a broad field I thought about limiting myself to dragonflies and butterflies (at least for the beginning ;) ). After looking for field guides covering Europe I am not sure what would be the best books to buy.
For dragonflies I see that the books beneath all seem to have great reviews. The last one is in German, so probably not a lot of opinions on this book in the forum. Which one would you recommend as a first field guide for a beginner?

• Field Guide to the Dragonflies of Britain and Europe: 2nd edition (Dijkstra, Schröter Lewington)​

• Europe's Dragonflies: A Field Guide to the Damselflies and Dragonflies (Smallshire, Swash)​

• Dragonflies and Damselflies of Britain and Western Europe: A Photographic Guide (Boudot, Doucet, Grand)​

• Kosmos Libellenführer (Bellmann)​

For butterflies I am totally clueless what field guide to get. I saw that there is a Collins Guide (which is 10 years old) a German field guide from Bellmann which has great reviews but there are probably other good ones I‘m not aware of. What would you recommend as a field guide?

By the way: I am aware that there are some field guides which cover a broader range of insects but a field guide trying to cover the full range of insects and as result is limiting itself to the most important species is a concept that is not really appealing to me.

Thabks for your help

The first 2 dragonfly guides listed are both first rate & will serve you well. I'd recommend getting both but if you wish to only get one the first is more illustration based & the other photo based.

I've not seen the new third title but as you can see from the title it only covers the western part of Europe whereas the other 2 cover all of Europe.

Of butterfly titles still in print I'd recommend Butterflies of Britain & Europe, a photographic guide by Haahtela et al.

The first 2 dragonfly guides listed are both first rate & will serve you well. I'd recommend getting both but if you wish to only get one the first is more illustration based & the other photo based
I think I will go with the Dijkstra book and maybe add Smallshire and Swash guide later.
For butterflies, I have been recommended on this forum to simply download this:

And it's absolutely fantastic.
Wow. Thanks! This looks great especially for a free document. I will start with this one.
Of butterfly titles still in print I'd recommend Butterflies of Britain & Europe, a photographic guide by Haahtela et al.
Even though the free PDF looks awesome I will probably also buy this book. I use ebooks and apps a lot but I still prefer using a book to look things up when at home (especially if I have been sitting in front of computer all day during work).

For butterflies I am very happy with the Collins guide from Tolman & Lewington, which seems to pack in more information than the haahtela guide. It has served me very well across Europe.

For Odonata, I really recommend checking out http://www.dragonflypix.com/ - it does not really replace a book guide, but it's a great resource. I suspect that some of the extra pictures there are scanned from guides, so I am not complete sure if it's completely legal ... but there is also an abundance of original pictures and what I really like are the lists of diagnostic feature for each species.

For Odonata, I really recommend checking out http://www.dragonflypix.com/ - it does not really replace a book guide, but it's a great resource. I suspect that some of the extra pictures there are scanned from guides, so I am not complete sure if it's completely legal ... but there is also an abundance of original pictures and what I really like are the lists of diagnostic feature for each species.
The guys at this site are really knowledgeable too, they've helped me with a lot of European ID's in the past.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back