• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldfares. (1 Viewer)

Mandico

Hi everyone. I am a new member to this forum and after my introductory post someone suggested that I also post to all the West Mids members. So, here goes.

I have been a birder for nearly sixty years and a member of the RSPB for nearly fifty. The world is an entirely different place to what it was as a kid. I had an enormous egg collection as a child, a fact of which I am not proud, though times were different and it was not unusual for a ten year old to go bird nesting. I had a wryneck egg. Ouch! I also had a huge butterfly collection.

In an attempt to see some birds that I have not seen for years I am going to request a bit of guidance on where to go. I am reducing my hours at work as I move towards retirement and there is a whole load of catching up that I want to do.

I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction to see fieldfares this winter. Can anyone give me a likely location? Within thirty miles of the West Mids would be great. Am I asking for the impossible? Thanks in advance.
Mandico

Winter thrushes are constantly on the move - particularly after harsh weather in Northern Europe and berry crop failure. Look out for open grassland areas interspersed with hawthorn bushes and not too busy with people, though they will visit urban areas with a good supply of Rowan trees and cotoneaster / pyracantha shrubs. Also find a local bird club website that may have updates and reports on bird sightings...... good luck.

Hi everyone. I am a new member to this forum and after my introductory post someone suggested that I also post to all the West Mids members. So, here goes.

I have been a birder for nearly sixty years and a member of the RSPB for nearly fifty. The world is an entirely different place to what it was as a kid. I had an enormous egg collection as a child, a fact of which I am not proud, though times were different and it was not unusual for a ten year old to go bird nesting. I had a wryneck egg. Ouch! I also had a huge butterfly collection.

In an attempt to see some birds that I have not seen for years I am going to request a bit of guidance on where to go. I am reducing my hours at work as I move towards retirement and there is a whole load of catching up that I want to do.

I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction to see fieldfares this winter. Can anyone give me a likely location? Within thirty miles of the West Mids would be great. Am I asking for the impossible? Thanks in advance.
Mandico
As Pyrtle states fieldfare are regularly on the move so they don't always stop in one place and being fairly common and numerous they rarely feature in on-line bird reports. They will feed on berry bearing trees but also often on worms in open fields so your best bet is to find some open countryside on the urban fringe , ( assuming you live inside the conurbation ).Also listen for the soft "chack a chack chack" call from birds in trees or flying overhead wherever you are ,even in your garden or the local park.

Mandico
Hi Mandico...haven't been on here for a while but just saw your post. We have very large flocks of Fieldfare in the fields surrounding Woodrow Lane, Woodrow, Worcs DY10. They have been accompanied by a very large Finch flock (2000+) which includes Bramblings, Greenfinch, Linnet, Goldfinch & Chaffinch bordered by Redwing, Starlings, Winter Blackbirds, Skylarks, Meadow Pipits & Yellowhammer & some Corn Bunting. It has attracted many birders...well worth seeing.
Regards

Hi Mandico...haven't been on here for a while but just saw your post. We have very large flocks of Fieldfare in the fields surrounding Woodrow Lane, Woodrow, Worcs DY10. They have been accompanied by a very large Finch flock (2000+) which includes Bramblings, Greenfinch, Linnet, Goldfinch & Chaffinch bordered by Redwing, Starlings, Winter Blackbirds, Skylarks, Meadow Pipits & Yellowhammer & some Corn Bunting. It has attracted many birders...well worth seeing.
Regards
Hi Ian,
Many thanks. That is exactly the info I wanted.

Hi Ian,
Many thanks. That is exactly the info I wanted.
Hello Mandico..

The flocks are reducing and moving around now because of the snow. Try closer to Chaddersley & Harvington also. There were quite a few Fieldfare behind the Church a few days ago.
Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back