• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fingers crossed for the blue tits this year ... (1 Viewer)

elliebear

United Kingdom
I was just reading on the web that blue tits only breed once per year. That's rather sad, I could have done a lot more for them last year but I just thought they'd have another go somewhere else ...
We had an old bird box - homemade, looking a bit seedy - that had been propped up against the back wall of our house on an old picnic table. It was just waiting to go to the tip. But then around March my oh noticed a pair of blue tits showing a lot of interest. So we let the box alone, and they nested and started raising a hatch of chicks. My oh peeked in when the parents were away from the nest and reported that there were 5 chicks. I told him off, and luckily it didn't put the parents off. All was going well, until I came into the garden one afternoon and noticed the box was upside down on the ground. I retrieved it and there was just one chick inside - dead. It looked nearly ready to fledge. No sign of the other chicks or the parents. I think it must have been the local cat, and as the box was just on a table, it would have been ridiculously easy.
So, fast forward to this March, we've put the nest box high up on the wall in much the same place. And removed the picnic table and everything else nearby, so I don't think the cat has any chance now. A pair of blue tits have started showing a lot of interest in the last week, but there's also interest from a pair of house sparrows. We're getting a 25mm nest box plate which we'll put on tomorrow. We're not too bothered about the sparrows, they have a big ivy covered tree at the front of the house, which a whole colony occupies already. Hopefully, the tits will take the nest box and have a much better chance than last year.
🤞🤞🤞

As I said in your other thread it sounds like you are doing the right thing 😊 We have two blue tit boxes, one high on a wall and one high in a tree and they get used each year. The blue tits have been showing lots of interest here too.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back