• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First impression - Ultravid 7x42 (3 Viewers)

gorank said:
I think you have got it quite right..
I translate:
"...very good optically, but not quite on the level of the rest of the other BN-binoculars."

They also mention high levels of CA, when the eye is not perfectly centered to the eye piece...seems not too unlikely due to the 12x magnification..

There are differences between the different models of Leica in respect of CA. The 10x42 Trinovid and also the Ultravid show for example more CA than the 10x50 Trinovid. But I never saw a shortcoming of the 12x50 Trinovid in respect of CA. Be that as it may. The 12x50 LeicaTrinovid and Ultravid are amazing binoculars. AFAIK no other 12x Binocular has a fov like the Leicas and are so valuable for birding IMHO (es. the Ultravid because of its weight) if one can keep the 12x maginification still.

Steve

John Traynor said:
Excellent review.

Jonathan B. encouraged me to look closely at a 7X42 Ultravid as a foul-weather backup to my 8X32 SE and in a side-by-side comparison with the SE, I concluded that the Ultravid 7X would be an outstanding choice. In fact, my selection has narrowed to the 7X Ultravid and the 8.5 EL, and it is a very difficult choice to make.

After long viewing sessions in the field, I find myself thinking I'd be nuts to buy a 10X. I'd love to be looking through a 100X bin, but hand shake tells me that's never going to happen! My limit is 8X, I know it, and I accept it with all its limitations. I live in Pennsylvania and more and more hunters are finding that 8X bins are a good choice in our dense forests. Traditionally, hunters sought out 10X bins, but many are finding that "bigger is not necessarily better".

As I see it, the real advantages in a 7X42 are: better DOF, a beautifully wide FOV, reduced hand shake, and greater ease of use due to the 6mm exit pupil.

John

I hunt with my 7x42BGATs and find them superlative in the woods. On the odd occasion when I use my 8x32ELs (which I use in the fields) in woodland I get visualy tired much quicker due to the reduced DOF. My beef with the Ultravids is the closed hinge which makes for much more difficult one handed use, also the ergonomic ridge is exactly where my thumb wants to sit.

When the nights draw in I shall test them back to back for brightness as it has been my experience that relative daytime brightness is no way to judge twilight performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back