• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First ringing session of New year in S Spain (1 Viewer)

tchagra

Hi Folks

Have got a couple of new sites to work with this year so really got my hands full,but as not going on any long birding trips should be able to do all of them justice and get some good scientific results .
The new sites complement what I have already.

I am looking at the resident,wintering,breeding and passage species in variuos orchards in S.Spain.I have ben ringing for some time in an Olive Grove and an Avocado orchard but now have added 2 contrasting Orange groves.

1 is huge and commercial sited between a woodland and the Rio Guadarannque but it is treated at certain times of the year with pesticides and herbicides.

Very little grows under the trees as a result,and when they spray it is good not to be around.However ,my first 3 ringing sessions there last Autumn defied what my friends thought of it and it produced masses of birds.

As a bonus the butterflies loved the rotting discarded fruit.

the site where I ringed today for the first time is very differant.It is small,next to Rio Genal and is also adjacent to mature woodland.The main difference is that it is not sprayed at all,so the reults should make interesting reading over a long enough period.

Today was perfect,no wind mild and complete cloud cover,and it produced 40 new birds with just 4 nets,the main species as one would expect was Blackcap,both local and N.European migrants but there was a healthy mix of other species incl.,Sardinian Warbler,Black Redstarts;Robins,Great Tits;Blue Tits;Long tailed Tits;Short Toed treecreeper and wintering Chiffchaffs.

I counted at least 3 Firecrests in the nearby trees and Great Spotted woodpecker was drumming nearby.

Contrary to the forecast as i was packing up the weather closed in quickly with dense low cloud and drizzle so an unpleasant drive home.

So its going to be another exciting year ringing down on the Costa del sol.

This private site is owned by a couple of English friends who are keen conservationists,and in next couple of weeks we are getting our heads togther to see if we can produce a programme for ringers or birders from Uk,spain or beyond who might be interested in using this place as a base .

The site has 2 small casetas in the garden so the lady is going to offer very good value B and B and I shall run the birding and ringing programme for the guests.the place has great potential,and none of my other ringing sites or birding hot spots are too far away for people looking for a weeks break in real wild Spain!! Will keep you all posted on developments,watch this space,and enjoy the rest of my year with me here in wonderful Spain

Saludos

Ricardo

Great Spanish Ringing Week

hi Folks

Got to my new ringing site on the coastal dunes at Palmones well before first light and got 3 nets up and set some lures going.Trapped 22 birds by 11 a.m.,incl.4 Reed Buntings and just 1 Penduline Tit.

I found out that another Spanish ringer also used this site,as I trapped some of his ringed birds.I have yet to find out who but have a suspicion that it is an ex group ringer,so foresee no problems re use of site.

I shall get down there again soon to see if I can trap some more wintering Reed Buntings and penduline Tits,and as long as some water remains throughout the Spring it could turn all sorts of intersting data

As soon as I was finished I popped over the main N340 to my other recently acquired site in a huge orange orchard.Got 12 X 18 m.nets up furled and ready to go for the next morning.

Next morning got all nets open before first light,had to get there by 06.00 hrs!!

Trapped 37 birds by mid day but had to close as the weather was closing in.

All the usual species this day ,the place is really Blackbird city,nearly 50% of the birds trapped

Last ringing day was yesterday up in the hills below Sierra Crestellina and an old friends site on a finca. He had set and furled the nets the night before and the weather forecast had looked good,and it was dead calm as I left,but as soon as I got to his patchit was blowing a cold really strong N.W.wind.

So no chance to open the nets until around 9.00 a,m,when it started to calm down.By then a lot of feeding Serins has been and gone unfortunately,but we perserved,the weather calmed down completely.

We ringed birds all day and even did a roost trapping 56 birds.Managed to catch a good number of the feeding Serins in the end plus a couple of wintering Song Thrush and a good record of a retrapped adult male Cirl bunting.

All this augurs for a great ringing year ahead so watch this space.This next week the weather forecast is awful.,rain every day so glad I have organised a full birding day with my wife and a couple of other birding pals on tuesday.

Itinery includes,Sanlucar,Bonanza Salt Pans,Pinar de la Algaida,Salina de Monte Algaida and La Janda,should pick up a lot of great year ticks,list at moment has reached 94 should should be well ahead of last years schedule!!

Cheers for now

Ricardo

Hi
Read your post on the ringing at Palmones estuary. I do know that the Grupo Ornitologico del Estrecho (G.O.E.S.) from La Linea De La Concepcion,have a ringing group who have been using this site for a number of years.I guess that they still are since you are catching retraps. You may want to get in touch with them. I hope this may help you.

Regards Paul

Hi
Read your post on the ringing at Palmones estuary. I do know that the Grupo Ornitologico del Estrecho (G.O.E.S.) from La Linea De La Concepcion,have a ringing group who have been using this site for a number of years.I guess that they still are since you are catching retraps. You may want to get in touch with them. I hope this may help you.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul

I have been a member of MILVUS G.O.ES for a number of years now.

The retraps are from an ex member of the group or 1 of his team who split from our lot around 2 years or so ago.,led by Manolo Labon,you probably know or know of him

Cheers

Richard Banham (tchagra) !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back