• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First signs of Spring 2015 (1 Viewer)

Oh, that is for sure - many, many thousands wintering to the south of us still to come up. Where I volunteer, at Long Point on Lake Erie, the Juncos are caught and banded in large numbers in mid-April (with new birds being caught every day) and sometimes are still arriving in the first week of May.

A friend of mine in Maryland that I trade birding news with says that even his Juncos are still staying put.

????????
WT* are " peepers"? ;)

BTW. Wirral, which is as far north as James Bay, was more than warm enough for tee-shirt and shorts today. :t:

Last edited:
Spring really sprang today on the Wirral with multiple Ospreys, Willow Warblers, Northern Wheatear, White Wagtails and Barn Swallow along with singles of Ring Ouzel, Eur. Whimbrel, Tree Pipit, Sandwich Tern and Little Ringed Plover, with a Common Crane joining the Surf Scoter and Laughing Gull on the rarity front.

Hint: not feathered - therefore, perhaps, not on your list of interesting critters.

Ahh. Grenouille. :eat: :t:

Could have managed without the tee shirt today - but even I have my limits. ;)

Last edited:
I was up in Eastern Mass. this past weekend. It seems you are behind us by about 3 weeks. I had no idea the difference was that great. After all, it's only about 2° further north where my sister lives in Harvard than here in Allentown. But most lakes and ponds were still well-frozen up there, while ours have been thawed for over a week.

Regarding juncos, they are definitely starting to stage here. About this time we get large flocks of singing birds. They should be leaving in the next week or so, which is typical, but we're expecting rain all week, so they may be kept down for a few days.

Of our wintering ducks, the common mergs are mostly gone other than a couple pairs who linger to breed, but ring-necks (our most common wintering duck) were still around in big numbers as of Sunday. The large migrant pintail and mallard flocks from a couple weeks ago are gone, leaving green-winged teal as the lone late passage migrants.

First Tree Swallows seen, Sunday (4 April)
Barn Swallows yesterday (7 April)
Phoebes for two weeks.
Killdeer have been here for almost month.
Below, (31,March) part of an assemblage of Amer. White Pelicans thermaling late in the afternoon, heading up the Mississippi valley corridor. Second largest number I've seen ever. The pic is maybe 30 degrees of arc, of the circular configuration they use while gaining altitude. One of those things in birding that staggers me, nature and its immenseness.

Attachments

• Pelicans1.jpg
    Pelicans1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 47
First Willow Warbler last evening, Chiffchaff and one lonely Swallow on the 5th. Some Horse Chestnuts showing green below 200m elev.

Whilst recording nests for the BTO, NRS I have found Ravens with young, Robins with young and 2 on eggs, Woodcocks on eggs, now fledged, LT Tits building, Blackbird on eggs, 2 Tawny Owls on eggs. Another nest recorder has found Siskin, Crossbill and Lapwing on eggs and yesterday I found what I believe what a Coot on eggs but when I approached the nest she stood up to reveal young underneath her and 2 small heads popped out of her back, tucked up under her wings. Quickly backed away and let her settle down.
In case anybody is concerned about this time of ornithology please visit the BTO website and click on the Nest Recording app, done correctly and following BTO guidelines, valuable data is collected which helps us understand how our birds are faring up and down the country, declines of species in certain areas. The BTOs NRS and BBS surveys have helped so much in understanding just how our birdlife is faring up and helps us take the right steps in doing what is needed, its all about conservation. Also lots of Chiffchaffs' singing and Wheatear back in the lake district, 1 definitely a Northern Wheatear, Mipits in abundance on the moors along with lots of waders, Lapwing, Curlew, Golden Plover and seen plenty of Butterflies for the first time yesterday on my local patch. Spring is finally here, Buzzards displaying over there nesting wood which was wonderful to watch. Happy days ahead for myself and the chaps.

Damian
Damian

The change of the guard occurred last week in Reykjavík, with Ravens being replaced by Lesser Black-backed Gulls as the default bird sitting on downtown lamp posts. Saw my first Golden Plover yesterday. Fresh snow overnight.

Heard a chiffchaff singing as I drove through Dumfries on Saturday, then saw an osprey near Caerlaverock. Heard lots more chiffchaffs around the Lake District in the last few days, and my first wheatear of the year yesterday on the slopes of Old Man of Coniston. Lots of small tortoiseshell butterflies around too.

Saw a pair of peregrines contending with an intruding male in a quarry in the Lakes on Sunday.

A pair of Wheatear back on territory Lords Lot Lake District with another one singing.Two male yellowhammer singing nearby.Loads of Chiffchaff

When the cat brings a frog in for me.

Cat dragged it in last night. I believe it's a Wood Frog.

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back