• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First signs of Spring 2015 (1 Viewer)

Oh, that is for sure - many, many thousands wintering to the south of us still to come up. Where I volunteer, at Long Point on Lake Erie, the Juncos are caught and banded in large numbers in mid-April (with new birds being caught every day) and sometimes are still arriving in the first week of May.

Watch out up there! My Dark Eyed Juncos appear to have all but disappeared!

No peepers here yet.

Call me strange but I can tell you that the first day that I heard peepers in past 3 years were:

02 Apr 2014, 05:12 PM
29 Mar 2013, 03:38 PM
12 Mar 2012, 01:16 PM

The forecast here is to still be in the high 30's to low 40's degree (F) until at least Friday. Friday's forecast is 57 degrees and cloudy and better change for Saturday 58 degrees partly sunny.

First peepers heard
2015, Friday, April 10, 9:40 pm EDT

Saw a group of Rusty Blackbirds on Saturday.

Today along Lake Ontario:

Great Blue Herons - nest building
American Robin - nest building
Tree Swallows
Barn Swallow
Field Sparrow
Eastern Phoebe
Common Loon - heard one giving its full wailing call from out on the lake - first time I've ever gotten to hear that!

Also a couple of spring peepers and some other unidentified frog calling, garter snakes out basking

Someone's glad to have spring arrive. And someone, if it had a brain, would not be.

Attachments

• 2015 04 11 14 18 14.jpg
    2015 04 11 14 18 14.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 32
Goosanders on 11 eggs, the other one was in the next tree not 20 ft apart but she wouldn't budge, nests visited for the BTO Nest Record Scheme (NRS).
Also Lapwings and Stonechat and Woodlark down, plus plenty off vis mig. Spring or is definitely here.

Damian

Someone's glad to have spring arrive. And someone, if it had a brain, would not be.

Around here, we have a saying, maybe you use it too:

"It's not the robin, it's the worm" (that is the sign of spring)

...since robins are around - but largely out of sight - all winter. Just saw my first robin-with-annelid this past Sunday, it was an uplifting sight.

I heard the first bats of the season last night. They live under the roof of my garage.

I also realized that I have NOT seen any chipmunks yet this spring. They are late.

I heard the first bats of the season last night. They live under the roof of my garage.

I also realized that I have NOT seen any chipmunks yet this spring. They are late.
Oh, they're out there, all right.

At our house, we have a small "mud room" attached to the back door of our walk out basement. We keep sunflower seed and millet in a large garbage bin in there - don't worry about keeping a lid on it, usually, because there's a second door between the "mud room" and the back patio.

Well yesterday, as I approached this room from the inside, I heard a rustling coming from the bin. As I started to open the door, a little chipmunk head, cheeks bulging, poked out of the top of the sunflower seed bag! It had, evidently, chewed its way into the mud room by enlarging a small gap between the floor and one of the walls, and been carrying off seed all day...

"Bad rodent!" I said - "Bad!" I doubt he'll pay much attention, though. I have now had to put the lid on, and weigh it down with a big bag of salt.

Oh, they're out there, all right.

At our house, we have a small "mud room" attached to the back door of our walk out basement. We keep sunflower seed and millet in a large garbage bin in there - don't worry about keeping a lid on it, usually, because there's a second door between the "mud room" and the back patio.

Well yesterday, as I approached this room from the inside, I heard a rustling coming from the bin. As I started to open the door, a little chipmunk head, cheeks bulging, poked out of the top of the sunflower seed bag! It had, evidently, chewed its way into the mud room by enlarging a small gap between the floor and one of the walls, and been carrying off seed all day...

"Bad rodent!" I said - "Bad!" I doubt he'll pay much attention, though. I have now had to put the lid on, and weigh it down with a big bag of salt.

The first thing the chipmunks do here is go strait to the pile of seeds under the bird feeder. Then they run across my driveway and hang out on the stone wall. None of that yet here so far but I'll keep watching.

Except for the Nyjer, it's time for me to shut down the feeder. Only the multitude of house sparrows now are using up the seed and the grackles are scarfing up two suets a day and leave a total mess of suet scrap on the squirrel frustration cone such that it sticks there and gives the squirrels traction to get up on the suet too.

I tend to stop feeding the birds in the spring around this time anyway, except for the nyger, as it attracts too many rodents.

I just checked the several chipmunk holes that open onto my lawn. They have been in there for years. So far the mated grass and leaves covering the holes have not been disturbed.

Displaying Golden Plover and drumming Snipe in Reykjavík this morning are really signs of the Icelandic spring. Also heard singing Goldcrest yesterday which was great as we were beginning to think that this winter might have wiped them out. This is the first week since sometime in November when I've been confident of not encountering any ice when out on my bike.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back