• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher in Bangkok today (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird watchers!!

Just back from Suan Rot Fai and I got a picture of a flycatcher. Bird far away and I don't know hot to ID them.

The light blue Verditer is easy enough to ID. Otherwise it is hard and when I am back home I see a light narrow band on the back marking the feathers just as the Asian Brown Flycatcher in my book. And the bill is also yellowish.

So is this the correct ID?

I was on a elephant safari in Kui Buri a couple of days ago. I spotted a flycatcher that I ID as an Asian Brown. See attached picture #2 + 3 + 4

I was working with the ID of today's flyctcher and I studied this pictures. The bill is black. So now I want to change this bird to a female Taiga Flycatcher. And I learned that it seems like they have changed the name from Taiga to Red-throated Flycatcher.

So the question, should I change bird in picture # 2+3+4 to a Taiga Flycatcher

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2001.jpg
    2001.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2002.jpg
    2002.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2003.jpg
    2003.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 23
Thank you very much!

So they have the yellow bill and stripe mark on the wing. Pretty hard to ID for me and this is not the first time I have needed help with the ID. The females look very much alike.

Thank you again, highly appreciated!!!
Aladdin

Agree, all are Taiga Fly. The black & white tail pattern is distinctive as either Taiga or Red-breasted, and the dark bill confirms Taiga.

I was working with the ID of today's flyctcher and I studied this pictures. The bill is black. So now I want to change this bird to a female Taiga Flycatcher. And I learned that it seems like they have changed the name from Taiga to Red-throated Flycatcher.

As far as I know there isn't a move towards renaming Taiga as Red-throated. I still hear Red-throated used in Hong Kong, but it doesn't seem to be widely used elsewhere in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back