• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fort Dunlop (2 Viewers)

Do you think it is a male?

Laurie -

I think so, it's not a large bird anyway. Bar estimating the size I haven't been able to make any other judgements on sex.

It's present on the pylons again today - bit distracting when I can see it out the office window - but the snow's sent it off now, no sign of it diving/displaying again today.

Peregrine is stationed pretty well permanently on the M6 pylons as of late. A second is showing every now and then but not continuously. I'll be keeping an eye out on the nest boxes and try and get my camera at the ready for any action :t:

Peregrine is stationed pretty well permanently on the M6 pylons as of late. A second is showing every now and then but not continuously. I'll be keeping an eye out on the nest boxes and try and get my camera at the ready for any action :t:

Hi.
I travel as a passenger, past those pylons a couple of times a week. Is there a particular one it prefers to rest up on? It would be good to indulge in a little speed birding on my way to work.:t:

Hi.
I travel as a passenger, past those pylons a couple of times a week. Is there a particular one it prefers to rest up on? It would be good to indulge in a little speed birding on my way to work.:t:

There is indeed. Take a look at the very top of the pylon thats infront of fort dunlop on its western side. id say its the one that sits closest to the building.
No idea why it should be its favourite other than its close to the building ish.
And remember, keep your eyes on the birds...i mean road

20/02/2013

Early morning few spots got my common numbers up. Blackbirds and Robins about and showing themselves singing in the cold today and one Peregrine on it's favoured pylon again. Got my camera today so if the weather clears at lunch I'll have a go at snapping falco.

Fort Dunlop List:(22)
Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Grey Heron
Cormorant
Common Buzzard
Peregrine
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Pied Wagtail
Robin
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush
Redwing
Fieldfare
Blackbird
Starling
Magpie
Carrion Crow
House Sparrow

Peregrine Prey Items:(4)
Little Grebe (1)
Feral Pigeon (3)
Redwing (1)
Fieldfare (2)

Last edited:
Couple of poor light pics

...both quite active today flying between the three pylons infront of the FD building over the M6.

Attachments

• DSCF9558.JPG
    DSCF9558.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF9562.JPG
    DSCF9562.JPG
    492.1 KB · Views: 47
Interesting thread......

A few things...
How come there are cows on the roof?
Has everyone got access to the roof...(working in the building or even outsiders) ?
Isn't it dangerous up there....strong winds ...men floating off roof...? :eek!:
If lots of people are allowed on roof will it have a bearing on whether the Falcons nest there ?
Are people allowed to get close to a Peregrine nest site?

Keith

Interesting thread......

A few things...
How come there are cows on the roof?
Has everyone got access to the roof...(working in the building or even outsiders) ?
Isn't it dangerous up there....strong winds ...men floating off roof...? :eek!:
If lots of people are allowed on roof will it have a bearing on whether the Falcons nest there ?
Are people allowed to get close to a Peregrine nest site?

Keith

The first and most important question - "how come there are cows..?"
Goodness knows; although there are BBQ facilities on the roof...if only they weren't plastic...

Access - as far as I am aware access is open to all including the public, although the roof will be closed in bad weather (which hopefully answers your dangerous weather question too). You can still head to the top and view through the glazed top floor though even when weather means no access.

Disturbance - the nest boxes have been positioned well out of the way of the access roof. You can't even see them from there, and watching them from the car park floor they look pretty comfortable and undisturbed even on the busiest days. They have a few seemingly favoured perching spots around the building and all are far enough away from the roof or hidden enough to keep them happy it seems. The best views from the roof of them tend to be the fly-bys they give if you're lucky.

I hope I've answered your questions Keith - tempted to come and have a gander?

---just went for a quick look at lunch and one of the birds was on the roof itself - a little away from the pedestrian area - got some good shots I'll stick a couple up later, but the falcon seemed pretty at home even with a couple of people around. Flew off and went back to it's favourite pylon and ressumed normality. There's so many spots for it to be happy and hidden so I can't imagine the roof being accessible and open hinders it any real extent.

Last edited:
Thanks Ste.....as soon as I posted my earlier one I thought it may have come across as saying you(or anyone) should not get near them...glad you did not see it that way.
I am amazed that "we" are allowed up here...what a great thing for us to get a panorama over the city.
Must be brill to see the Falcons whizzing all around and YES I will have to try and get over there for a look.
We have a pair (at least) over the fields near where I live which is a stones throw from the old Rover site ...they were here while it was still producing so they seem to be not bothered with us silly humans.
A terrible I.D. pic I took is here......post No 98- http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161736&page=4

Thanks again and good luck with you project.
Keith :t:

No worries Keith, I was on your trail of thought :t:
My grandparents are from around that area - where abouts can you see them? I might have to have a look when I'm over next.

As I said before, here's a couple of photos from today!...

Attachments

• DSCF9583.jpg
    DSCF9583.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF9585.jpg
    DSCF9585.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 49
There is indeed. Take a look at the very top of the pylon thats infront of fort dunlop on its western side. id say its the one that sits closest to the building.
No idea why it should be its favourite other than its close to the building ish.
And remember, keep your eyes on the birds...i mean road

Hi Ste.
Clocked the bird on top of the pylons yesterday afternoon. 15 seconds of birding brightening up an otherwise dull journey. Your pics and info have inspired me to stop off and take a longer look. CheersB :)

Hi Ste.
Clocked the bird on top of the pylons yesterday afternoon. 15 seconds of birding brightening up an otherwise dull journey. Your pics and info have inspired me to stop off and take a longer look. CheersB :)

Nice job! Just the one or did you manage to catch the pair of them?

Another newbie fly by

Today at around 12:20 had 4 drake Mallards fly past.
Heading East to West, maybe heading to Aston Reservoir.

Fort Dunlop List:(23)
Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Mallard
Grey Heron
Cormorant
Common Buzzard
Peregrine
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Feral Pigeon