• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fox vs Vulture - Fight! (1 Viewer)

Superb image - reminds me of an incident recounted to me recently.

While in the local health food shop the owner started telling me (being the "bird man customer") how one of her relations who lives in/near Killarney, Eire had been driving along the country lanes during the freezing weather in January and noticed a commotion. He stopped and realised that a massive bird was fighting with a fox!!! Apparently it was an incredible sight - at one time the fox seemed to be getting the better hand in the battle but eventually the eagle killed and partially ate it, despite receving some injuries itself.

Steph's son in law realised he had a camera in his vehicle and managed to get some "record shots" with his small digital camera which I was eventually shown some weeks later. They are very blurred, distant, and poor quality (almost the opposite of the fox/vulture shots) but it's possible to see the eagle standing over the fox, with a large amount of blood on it's inner wing. I will be contacting ornithologists over in the Emerlad isles with details in due course, as it seems that the bird is one of their reintroduced birds. Just wish I had seen the action!

I missed this superb image when it was posted - so thank for the heads-up mikfoz! It certainly is an amazing capture! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back