• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Free Birdwatching Guide to the Algarve PDF (1 Viewer)

Dartford Warbler in the Algarve

With all the respect to the previous posters as visitors I think a distorted view of the species here is being presented. The record at Boca do Rio probably refers to winter bird/s although there could be a few pairs on nearby hilltops and coastal scrub its not really a place to target them.

Foia - OK but I don't know why folk pick out this spot as it involves quite a trip to get up there - same with Rock Bunting ;)

Dartford Warbler is very common - even abundant over large parts of inland Algarve mainly north of the A22 motorway on the shale hills - that covers some 2/3 of the region. Cistus ladanifer (Gum cistus) scrub covers vast areas and this is a favourite habitat. These scrublands also hold a good pop. of Rock Buntings, which is widely distributed too. Sagres peninsula holds lots of resident Dartfords too - an area with plenty is the Juniper and Cistus scrub from around the last 1-2kms before and nearly up to Cabo de São Vicente.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to suggest 5 figure numbers for the region in terms of breeding pairs.

Remember windy days are dire for searching for these skulkers - best a nice calm early morning and listen for their calls and song.

Last edited:
we had Dartford at 'Boca do Rio', the valley just a few km NE of Sagres (I believe it is also called 'Paul de Budens').

Not exactly the same.

Boca do Rio (literally, 'mouth of the river') is the name of the beach and the surrounding area including the nearby fields that sometimes get flooded.

Paul de Budens (also called Paul da Lontreira) is the marshy area with reed beds and reed mace that extends easteards along the valley for about 2km.

The two areas lie next to each other but are not exactly the same.

Attached please find two pictures: one of Boca do Rio area (when flooded) and the other one of Paul de Budens with its reed beds.

Attachments

• Boca do Rio.jpg
    Boca do Rio.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Paul da Lontreira.jpg
    Paul da Lontreira.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 100
Paul de Budens (also called Paul da Lontreira) is the marshy area with reed beds and reed mace that extends easteards along the valley for about 2km.

Exactly Gonçalo - also just called Lontreira = place of the Otter. I know a local gentleman who, when he was a boy, spent endless hours as the duck scarer in the old days when this area was used for growing rice. The area is so rich in freshwater - winter rain aside - that its gagging for RSPB type opening up, "undraining" and reedbed management. It could potentially be an outstanding site. As it is, its difficult to work - with little or no open water, though it does have breeding Little Bittern, Reed Warbler, Great Reed Warbler - loads of Water Rails and possibly breeding Savi's some years (?). Its good for wintering Penduline Tits and Bluethroats and God knows what is missed there!

Yes I heard (and saw) Savi's singing there on several occasions during spring in both 2014 and 2015.
Purple Heron occurs, possibly on passage.
A Sacred Ibis was there in February 2014 (escape?).
Short-toed Eagle and Black-shouldered Kite are more or less regular.

Thank you, Simon and Gonçalo, for putting my casual sighting into its proper context (and for all the additional info about this site: I liked it, by the way, and agree it could be really special).

Simon, the "Ponta da Atalaia" that you mentioned - is this the point 2 km south of Lagos?

Q2: Yes Cabo de São Vicente - best in morning viewing from the north side of the cape. Also - early morning and late afternoon from the south facing Ponta da Atalaia can be excellent - its near the fishing harbour.

Sorry I wasn't clear - its the headland near the port of Sagres - just to the west - access is next to the Pousada de Sagres and Navigator hotels.

Just thought I'd mention for anyone in the area, that in the farmland either before you get to the farm,either side of the Cape St Vincent track (Vale Santo ?)to Val Do Bispo, tawny pipits and yellow wagtails were present in decent numbers today, though sometimes difficult to re locate once they dropped into the scrub. A lingering juvenile woodchat was present in the same spot as yesterday, in the first stand of pines , about 200m East of the Farm along the main track.Not a great day for raptors, personally only saw one light phase boot, two buzzards and many kestrel.

Last edited:
The extensive forestry work amongst the pines around Cabranosa was a disappointment, being a real migrant trap over the years.

Just thought I'd mention for anyone in the area, that in the farmland either before you get to the farm,either side of the Cape St Vincent track (Vale Santo ?)to Val Do Bispo, tawny pipits and yellow wagtails were present in decent numbers today, though sometimes difficult to re locate once they dropped into the scrub. A lingering juvenile woodchat was present in the same spot as yesterday, in the first stand of pines , about 200m East of the Farm along the main track.Not a great day for raptors, personally only saw one light phase boot, two buzzards and many kestrel.

Hi Mick - there are at least 28 Ortolan Buntings in the first grassy field on the left as you drive up to Vale Santo - they are perching regularly in the isolated Junipers in the middle of the field. Also - 2 Richard's Pipits around there somewhere - lost track of them but the Ortolans I found about 5 days ago and I think they are still there - certainly yesterday afternoon late anyway. I found the 2 Richard's there on Saturday - not seen since but I bet they are still around.

Last edited:
The extensive forestry work amongst the pines around Cabranosa was a disappointment, being a real migrant trap over the years.

Yes - it was done in the high summer.

IMO apart from the fact that they left all the small branches untidly lying around (that may condition the forming of scrub in places), most of the Pinhal da Cabranosa is intact and the area cleared will improve the habitat. They have left plenty of trees and I think in a year or two it will be better than it was for birding. Vast areas of cover for migrants all around elsewhere nearby so I don't think its of much concern for passerine migrants but will possibly lessen the birding in that respect over the short term from Cabranosa. If you walk along the wood south or northwards there are nice areas for migrants - YB Warbler should be in there somewhere!

I think raptors will return to normal much higher numbers through the next couple of days - damned weather!

Ortolans

Hi Mick - there are at least 28 Ortolan Buntings in the first grassy field on the left as you drive up to Vale Santo - they are perching regularly in the isolated Junipers in the middle of the field. Also - 2 Richard's Pipits around there somewhere - lost track of them but the Ortolans I found about 5 days ago and I think they are still there - certainly yesterday afternoon late anyway. I found the 2 Richard's there on Saturday - not seen since but I bet they are still around.

Thank you for the directions for the ortolans Simon, they behaved exactly as
as you predicted, a lovely sight back lit against the late afternoon sun. There was also an as yet und'd warbler there, very reminiscent of olivaceous. Unfortunately I only got one shot off, which isn't great.:t:

Also 3 ortolans (migrating) at Cabranosa today. Around 15 booted in 2 hours and a nice subalpine w still hanging around. Boat trip off Sagres in the morning with 3 wilsons and a 1 cy grey phalarope. Cheers once again to Simon for lots of useful information!

Booted Warbler at the Ortolan field by the road. Its a first for Portugal! Its roosting by the road tonight or migrating who knows - anyone here can phone me for details.

Found by BF member Stuart Reeves! B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)

Booted Warbler at the Ortolan field by the road. Its a first for Portugal! Its roosting by the road tonight or migrating who knows - anyone here can phone me for details.

Found by BF member Stuart Reeves! B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)
Seen by T and I at 16.33

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 49
Booted Warbler still present at circa 17.45 (in same bush with two Zitting Cisticola) Tues 6th.

BTW Simon, have not forgotten about Lap Bunting pic and will send a description next week when I return home.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back