• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full Allbinos review of the NL 12x42 (1 Viewer)

Interesting and thanks for the review Arek.
According to this review and comparing to AB's review of the Swarovision, they are very similar optically to the SV, with maybe an even flatter transmission curve and slightly better control of CA, with an even wider field of view. Peak transmission of the SV series seems very similar. Stray light suppression still seems weaker than the best models on the market.

So to me it is basically an improved SV with a wider field of view and different (and probably superior) ergonomics. Which is more or less what one could assume given that top end binoculars are already astounding with very little left to improve in many categories. I wondered primarily if the stray light control would be superior as that is to my eyes the main fault with the SV. From this isolated review that does not appear to be the case, but as glare seems to depend heavily upon the individual user, it would be a try before buy scenario as per the norm.

Justin

Interesting and thanks for the review Arek.
According to this review and comparing to AB's review of the Swarovision, they are very similar optically to the SV, with maybe an even flatter transmission curve and slightly better control of CA, with an even wider field of view. Peak transmission of the SV series seems very similar. Stray light suppression still seems weaker than the best models on the market.

So to me it is basically an improved SV with a wider field of view and different (and probably superior) ergonomics. Which is more or less what one could assume given that top end binoculars are already astounding with very little left to improve in many categories. I wondered primarily if the stray light control would be superior as that is to my eyes the main fault with the SV. From this isolated review that does not appear to be the case, but as glare seems to depend heavily upon the individual user, it would be a try before buy scenario as per the norm.

Justin

Besides glare control, another possible issue is the armor. Arek said:
"Still we notices traces of glue and seams on the rubber armour, not especially a nice sight." The SV and FP models don't have this problem, which might seem minor but interestingly Jan also commented on the fact that the seams of the armor made holding the binos a bit less comfortable.
The armor also seems to be of the same type as used for the FP models (made from recycled materials?) and thus it might not be as robust as the armor of the older SV models.

Hopefully there will be reviews of the 8x and/or 10x as well.

"For the entire week, every pair of binoculars from my private collection seemed to be just average by comparison..."

I suspect that the NL will take the top position in there rankings.

Note that Albinos have slightly changed their testing/ranking.

https://www.allbinos.com/index.php?art=181

Last edited:
Hopefully there will be reviews of the 8x and/or 10x as well.

"For the entire week, every pair of binoculars from my private collection seemed to be just average by comparison..."

I suspect that the NL will take the top position in there rankings.

Note that Albinos have slightly changed their testing/ranking.

https://www.allbinos.com/index.php?art=181

Excellent post - the changed scoring criteria was the first thing I noticed.

Interesting reordering of the rankings based on the new scoring system - and jeez, doesn't Allbinos need to get cracking on testing some glaring omissions - like the Swarovski 8x32 SV ! :eek!:

That highlighted quote is V-E-R-Y telling .......

Impressive transmission curve on the new NL's too - should provide a vibrant neutral view :t:

Chosun :gh:

A nice review, but too bad he had the least desirable of the new model.

Jerry

I really don't know which one I WOULD pick. I'm sure I would use the 8X42 more but I really don't see me using it more than something I all really have. I think it would be nice to have a smaller/lighterr 12X with more FOV than the 12X50 EL but the 12X50 holds its own for occasional use. The sweet spot might very well be the 10X42, a 10X with literally the FOV of a premium 8X.

NL Review.

I really don't know which one I WOULD pick. I'm sure I would use the 8X42 more but I really don't see me using it more than something I all really have. I think it would be nice to have a smaller/lighterr 12X with more FOV than the 12X50 EL but the 12X50 holds its own for occasional use. The sweet spot might very well be the 10X42, a 10X with literally the FOV of a premium 8X.

:t::t::t:

I feel the same Chuck, the 12X42 has the smallest FOV differential of the three (if compared to other premium glass in the same format), the 12X50 SV will be better at low light anyhow. I think they are going to sell a ton of 10X.

Andy W.

If I decided to get one and if the forehead stabilizer works as intended and reduces vibrations to a level similar to 8x (or less), I think the 10x is where I'd put my money. A 10x with less image shake and a FoV comparable to most 8x would be impressive.

Swaro

Funny enough an online retailer I was speaking with last week told me the 12x had by far the highest number of preorders for them.

That might be for him, however in the long haul over time it will likely be the 10X, although the 8X42 will sell also. Heck, might as well get all three models.

Andy W.

If members wish to discuss politics or post political slogans they are welcome to visit Ruffled Feathers.

Lee

Sales show 5% for the 8x, 55% for the 10x and 45% for the 12x.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Any explanation why only 5% for the 8x? Is it the FHR that draws the buyers toward the higher powers? Personally I am leaning toward the 8x as I have both the SV 10x50 and 12x50.

Peter

Jan,

That is interesting. I wonder what is behind this renewed interest in higher magnifications. Perhaps the wider fields, but most probably birders' hopes that the new forehead support will finally give them the stability (?!) they have learned to expect with 8x.

I also wonder whether Swaro is prepared for this demand for the 12x especially. Back when they introduced the ATX, they apparently expected the 85mm objective to be the big seller, and were surprised by the demand for the 95. "Here, buy this fantastic new 85mm scope which is (perhaps) marginally better than the competition, and offers groundbreaking modularity. And, by the way, we also have this 95 which will blow away anything else image-wise, but it is kinda big and heavy, and you probably aren't that interested in it." It took a while before supply met demand for the 95.

Kimmo

Jan,

That is interesting. I wonder what is behind this renewed interest in higher magnifications. Perhaps the wider fields, but most probably birders' hopes that the new forehead support will finally give them the stability (?!) they have learned to expect with 8x.

I also wonder whether Swaro is prepared for this demand for the 12x especially. Back when they introduced the ATX, they apparently expected the 85mm objective to be the big seller, and were surprised by the demand for the 95. "Here, buy this fantastic new 85mm scope which is (perhaps) marginally better than the competition, and offers groundbreaking modularity. And, by the way, we also have this 95 which will blow away anything else image-wise, but it is kinda big and heavy, and you probably aren't that interested in it." It took a while before supply met demand for the 95.

Kimmo
.......and if rumors are right, the 115ATX is on its way:eek!:

During the weekend, while we had the NL's, the headrest convinced most folks that these really works. That could explain it.

Jan

Thanks John for posting this & thanks to Arek for review, it further solidifies my decision to purchase the 10x42's, I have suffered slight vignetting on a variety of top end Binos probably due to my eye structure and have found comfort & accuracy in resting bino rubber eye cup on the brow of my eye's, I feel the head rest will be a great comfort for me, looking at the pics I think that it is adjustable for individual needs. Looking forward to my delivery this week, for those living in Canada there is only one Dealer that I have found that is actually stocking the NL's Pelee Wings

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back