• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi ID Help Please (1 Viewer)

Gerry2

Hi All

This late one was found earlier in the week in a mixed wood emerging from a pile of decaying leaves, not much else about. I appreciate it's a bit of a long shot especially with the effects of the wet and cold, but those more knowlegeable than me might have a few ideas.

Emerging from thick layer of leaves alongside fallen Oak.
Cap dia.3-3.5cm
Stem ht.4-5cm dia.5mm, hollow, slightly bulbous base, stems fused.

Gerry

Attachments

• 2472.jpg
    2472.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 66
  • 2471.jpg
    2471.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 78
  • 2473.jpg
    2473.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 76
How about Psathyrella piluliformis? I think I can see a bit of veil remaining on the edge of the second from right.

Richard R

Richard said:
How about Psathyrella piluliformis? I think I can see a bit of veil remaining on the edge of the second from right.

Richard R

Hi Richard

Thanks for that Richard.

Not easy to detect but what you thought was partial velar remnants was actually a piece of dead grass stalk I cut away to improve the shot. Putting that aside I also keep coming back to P.piluliformis as the strongest contender, especially having come across a more mature specimen not too far away at the base of a stump. The cross section of the cap and stem showed the same characteristics in both specimens.The only reservations I have is the gill colour on this one which is described as clay brown in young specimens, colour is not one of my strong points, do you think the gill colour in this young specimen conforms?

Gerry

Gerry2 said:
Hi Richard

Thanks for that Richard.

Not easy to detect but what you thought was partial velar remnants was actually a piece of dead grass stalk I cut away to improve the shot.

...specimens, colour is not one of my strong points, do you think the gill colour in this young specimen conforms?

Gerry

Hi Gerry

Sorry but I have no idea - I have not seen this species but I remembered your images when I was looking through Phillips to try to id something that I have found.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back