• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

G3 and FZ150 long zoom head to heard (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

G3 and FZ150 long zoom head to head

I posted this at DPreview but probably it's of more interest/use here. These two images are taken this morning in sunlight. The FZ150 image is on the 7mp EZ setting, and the G3 image, with the 100-300 lens at full zoom, is on the 8mp EZ setting. Both are at base ISO (100/160). They are straight out of camera jpegs with NR set on both to -2. I have only cropped them and added them to a new document in Photoshop so that the exif does not appear. In the crop I took out the foreground because the depth of field would have given it away, and I might or might not have tinkered with the sizes a little because of the 1mp difference!

Can you guess which is which? It's probably fairly easy but the FZ150 is doing a pretty good job I think.
Cheers
Sean

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rABKDWTd-oU93qnzdgoJkjwmRfb0KxE_e7Y9eYk_Ut4?feat=directlink

Last edited:
I posted this at DPreview but probably it's of more interest/use here. These two images are taken this morning in sunlight. The FZ150 image is on the 7mp EZ setting, and the G3 image, with the 100-300 lens at full zoom, is on the 8mp EZ setting. Both are at base ISO (100/160). They are straight out of camera jpegs with NR set on both to -2. I have only cropped them and added them to a new document in Photoshop so that the exif does not appear. In the crop I took out the foreground because the depth of field would have given it away, and I might or might not have tinkered with the sizes a little because of the 1mp difference!

Can you guess which is which? It's probably fairly easy but the FZ150 is doing a pretty good job I think.
Cheers
Sean

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rABKDWTd-oU93qnzdgoJkjwmRfb0KxE_e7Y9eYk_Ut4?feat=directlink

Hi Sean,
I'd say the top is the G3 and bottom is the FZ150, going by image quality (golly, I hope I'm right, lol!). But yes, they do compare well.
Nice idea :t:
Hobbes

Hi Sean,
I'd say the top is the G3 and bottom is the FZ150, going by image quality (golly, I hope I'm right, lol!). But yes, they do compare well.
Hobbes

That would be my guess as well. I would have thought there would have been more difference.

That would be my guess as well. I would have thought there would have been more difference.

Don't think there would be much difference between most quality point and shoots and a DSLR in good light at base ISO with a small size photo such as this, so I'm not sure this is that significant of a test.

Jim

The crops are 100% Jim, so the size shouldn't matter. But I agree higher ISO is worth looking at too. I will try to do that next weekend.
Sean

Thanks Sean, the darks areas look blotchy at iso1600 for FZ150, but it is still head and shoulders above my old FZ18 (which was more or less useless above iso400)

Niels

Thanks Sean, the darks areas look blotchy at iso1600 for FZ150, but it is still head and shoulders above my old FZ18 (which was more or less useless above iso400)

Niels

Well said, Niels. It's clear there has been a huge improvement in higher ISO performance in the Panasonic FZ150 compared to the older models. Thanks for doing the comparison shots, Sean :t:
Hobbes

Hi Sean,
Hobbes

I also think the FZ150 compares quite well. I was looking at a G3 at one stage, but when the FZ150 came along with its glowing reviews, I decided to stay with the superzoom. I have also heard that when firing a burst with the G3 the screen blacks out and makes it difficult to track your subject. At least the FZ150 is superior there, as you can follow the movement while the camera is blasting away in whatever burst mode you have selected. I have been looking on Flickr and there are lots of great images from the FZ150 being displayed under the Panasonic Lumix Users Group listing.

I cannot comment on the G3, but with the GH2, the behavior depends on the burst rate: I use intermediate with a fresh glimps through the lens between images. On the FZ18, I could only see the past image before the camera fired again (and that might be what is called blackout).

Niels

I also think the FZ150 compares quite well. I was looking at a G3 at one stage, but when the FZ150 came along with its glowing reviews, I decided to stay with the superzoom. I have also heard that when firing a burst with the G3 the screen blacks out and makes it difficult to track your subject. At least the FZ150 is superior there, as you can follow the movement while the camera is blasting away in whatever burst mode you have selected. I have been looking on Flickr and there are lots of great images from the FZ150 being displayed under the Panasonic Lumix Users Group listing.

Hi Roger
My G3 is set at a default of high speed burst rate. The screen doesn't black out (as far as I've noticed! ;)).
Hobbes

Hi Hobbes,

I think you are mistaken. On high burst rate the EVF blacks out. On medium the screen blacks out for a short time after each shot. The FZ150 EVF does not seem to black out, although the image freezes for s split second. This is however the ONLY way the 150 EVF is better than the G3. In every other way it is miles worse.

Sean

Hi Hobbes,

I think you are mistaken. On high burst rate the EVF blacks out. On medium the screen blacks out for a short time after each shot. The FZ150 EVF does not seem to black out, although the image freezes for s split second. This is however the ONLY way the 150 EVF is better than the G3. In every other way it is miles worse.

Sean
I have looked through the viewfinder of the G3 and it is much better than the FZ150. The quality of image in that viewfinder was superb.

Hi Hobbes,

Sean

Hi Sean
Ah, no problem, thanks for the correction. I never use the EVF and hadn't noticed the LCD screen blacking out at all, lol. I shoot on 8MP so perhaps that is the difference?
All the best
Hobbes

I cant comment on the FZ150 - my wife uses a FZ28 which she loves and produces great image quality, but I have a G3 which I use with a 150-300 lens. Its not great in my view for birds in flight, especially smaller stuff like ducks, but it is stunning for most other photography across a range of light conditions. More importantly it weighs a stack less than my 7D and 100- 400 or 70-200, which now stay at home

I cant comment on the FZ150 - my wife uses a FZ28 which she loves and produces great image quality, but I have a G3 which I use with a 150-300 lens. Its not great in my view for birds in flight, especially smaller stuff like ducks, but it is stunning for most other photography across a range of light conditions. More importantly it weighs a stack less than my 7D and 100- 400 or 70-200, which now stay at home

Interesting comments on the G3. Why isn't it all that good for birds in flight? Although I have never used one, I thought it should be quite good at that, given the fast autofocus and great viewfinder.

Interesting comments on the G3. Why isn't it all that good for birds in flight? Although I have never used one, I thought it should be quite good at that, given the fast autofocus and great viewfinder.

Having read quite a bit of threads on BF, I am not sure there is a camera that is truly great for BIF 3:)

I think (but cannot guarantee because of no personal experience) that the PDAF should be better at predicting where the bird will actually be when the camera clicks than MFT cameras. However, I think my own problems are related to other things, which are that when using a small, single AF point I have difficulty holding that on a flying bird much less getting it right on which part of the bird the AF is measured. If using multiple AF points the camera might (often does) choose the nearest part of the nearest wing which means that the body of the bird is out of focus. Many of these latter problems would be similar on a DSLR compared to my GH2, but just possibly with a fast mirror action, you could become better at holding the small AF point where it needs to be on a bird.

Niels

Having read quite a bit of threads on BF, I am not sure there is a camera that is truly great for BIF 3:)

I think (but cannot guarantee because of no personal experience) that the PDAF should be better at predicting where the bird will actually be when the camera clicks than MFT cameras. However, I think my own problems are related to other things, which are that when using a small, single AF point I have difficulty holding that on a flying bird much less getting it right on which part of the bird the AF is measured. If using multiple AF points the camera might (often does) choose the nearest part of the nearest wing which means that the body of the bird is out of focus. Many of these latter problems would be similar on a DSLR compared to my GH2, but just possibly with a fast mirror action, you could become better at holding the small AF point where it needs to be on a bird.

Niels
Hi Niels, I know what you mean about tracking a fast moving bird with a small focus point, its almost impossible to keep the focus point on the subject, that's why I expand the focus square to the next size up or even the largest size. That way you have a better chance of getting the camera to focus on the subject - well most of the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back