• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Mystery (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi,

Came down to make a cup of tea this morning and found this on my feeders.

I imagine that it is some sort of escaped caged-bird, but no idea really.

Whatever it was, it seemed to be feeding quite happily in the snow... the usual birds were quite wary of this funny thing and tended to give it a wide berth...

Sorry about the pic - it was still practically dark....

Ruby

Attachments

• Mystery.jpg
    Mystery.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 342
Hi Ruby,

Looks a lot like one of the canary varieties found in pet shops and aviaries.

I would agree that it is almost certainly an escapee from a house / aviary / shop - probably local to your home.

Nice to see something different on the feeder though.

Funnily enough, that was my first thought this morning....It was feeding with a flock of Chaffinches and general jizz was pretty similar. The other birds clearly didn't know what to make of it though...

Here's another picture I took shortly afterwards (not much of an improvement, quite frankly!!)

I had to go out first thing...just got back and the bird wasn't immediately visible... I'll keep an eye out...

Ruby

Attachments

• Mystery2.jpg
    Mystery2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 275
This is quite tricky on those pics.

A few things for canary - the combination of white, yellow and 'normal' feathers is typical of many canaries, and is very very unsual in the wild. Also, canaries come in many subtle forms of structure, so it's hard to tell from a few stills how it actually moves etc.

for chaffinch - that bill does look very chaffinchy. Too big for most canaries. And the structure does look about right (but see above). Legs are also about the right lenght (bit short for canary)

Really wouldn't like to say without seeing it or hearing it call (canary will never go 'pink!')

Tom c said:
Keep a close eye Ruby!with plumage like that the local sparrowhawk has an easy target!
I had a bright yellow canary in the garden (with a leg ring on), couple of days later, all that remained was a pile of feathers!

Last edited:
Tom c said:
Keep a close eye Ruby!with plumage like that the local sparrowhawk has an easy target!

Funnily enough, I was thinking exactly THAT too!!

I was thinking of its chances of survival.... seemed perfectly happy in the (sub-zero) weather, but you may as well paint a target on his back for the Sprawk....and I do have one that regularly targets my garden!!

FWIW there was a picture of a similar (same?) bird in the Wiltshire Times a few weeks ago, that was also thought by most people to be a chaffinch.

nick

Oh well.... It seems to have gone now - hopefully not to a sticky end!

Shame really - quite a handsome thing...

Hi Offord
(canary will never go 'pink')

There is a breed of canary called (red factor canary) Which range from a pale pink to a deep red with a white frosting.
Birds have this pink hue,but also have it enhanced with a chemical which is mixed with pepper and scrambled and fed to the birds.Breeders have their own secret concoction to get brighter birds.
Regards Roger.

We had an albino american robin in our yard for two summers in a row, and the neighbors say it was there for at least one year before we moved in. It was almost entirely white with a few black splotches on the wings. Three years for a robin is no record, but it's not bad for a white bird on green foliage.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back