• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (1 Viewer)

New birds over my place today - NATO jets! Thanks to some paranoia over Russian expansionism and possible moves on the Baltic States ...ha ha ha ... NATO has begun patrolling our airspace, so a little squadron of four jets in formation overhead today - my first record of a military jet in my airspace (Lithuanian army only has one jet, so they're proper rarities in this part of the world :-O )

You'd better get your old tin hat out from the shed Jos, "Don't panic Mr Stratford, don't panic"!
I had 3 new birds for the year all within a mile yesterday, but of course they haven't come to the garden - yet (Spotted Flycatcher, Garden Warbler and Tawny Owl), so a bit frustrating. Still, no ice on the car this morning and it feels warmer, so not too surprised to see :

66 Common Swift

Richard

Last wave of migrants appearing now, more Golden Orioles, Red-backed Shrikes, another Montagu's Harrier, plus three new as below (Garden Warbler not new in, but I always overlook them amongst singing Blackcaps!)

109. Garden Warbler
110. Marsh Warbler
111. Spotted Flycatcher

Still a few easy (ish) one to go, but going to start struggling for anymore soon

Last wave of migrants appearing now, more Golden Orioles, Red-backed Shrikes, another Montagu's Harrier, plus three new as below (Garden Warbler not new in, but I always overlook them amongst singing Blackcaps!)

109. Garden Warbler
110. Marsh Warbler
111. Spotted Flycatcher

Still a few easy (ish) one to go, but going to start struggling for anymore soon

.............I'm struggling already, Jos and have nowhere near as many as you!

.............I'm struggling already, Jos and have nowhere near as many as you!

A good few on your plot that I envy however :t:

Some birds will always be easier over here ...even in the busier parts of the downtown city, stuff like Pied Flycatchers breed on traffic islands and snippets of Thrush Nightingales echo out across the din of cars and trucks.

New birds over my place today - NATO jets! Thanks to some paranoia over Russian expansionism and possible moves on the Baltic States ...ha ha ha ... NATO has begun patrolling our airspace, so a little squadron of four jets in formation overhead today - my first record of a military jet in my airspace (Lithuanian army only has one jet, so they're proper rarities in this part of the world :-O )

What sort of jets were they?

CB

Gee, that's stretching my id skills to a degree ...have to confess I was even jumping to conclusions assigning them to NATO - could have been the first wave of Russian jets for all I know ;)

Mind you, had they been Russian, Lithuania's patriotic President would have been going berserk on the streets, so I think my little jump in identification was probably safe :t:

I will go away and try to identify them for you ...it was two pairs of jets of differing sorts, so two species I can say.

Cheshire Birder said:

Gee, that's stretching my id skills ... could have been the first wave of Russian jets for all I know

Done my homework :)

Wasn't that far out with the Russian joke - turns out two of them were Mig 29s (i.e. Russian), but belonging to Polish Airforce and other two were British Typhoons. Latter are real mean looking birds!

Decided to camp out last night aside my picnic table ...to a din of frogs and a distant booming Bittern, a warm night indeed and a rich assortment of voices punctuating the night - Thrush Nightingales surprisingly abundant, a lone River Warbler competing with the frogs and, krr krr krrr from the meadows, my first Corncrake of the season.

5.00 a.m., Icterine Warbler singing above the tent, Golden Orioles yodelling just yonder ...time to get up! Temperatures rose to 30 C this day, but before wilting added a couple of Black Terns over, one Lesser Spotted Eagle, one Hobby and my only Lesser Whitethroat of the year so far.

112. Corncrake
113. River Warbler
114. Lesser Whitethroat

Last edited:
The last of our summer migrant breeders arrived overnight and is singing away this morning just across the road:

67 Marsh Warbler

I'm missing quite a few species that are just a few miles away, hopefully some will wander up here, otherwise I'm in for a lean spell until the autumn migration begins in mid-July.

Richard

Only the 29th bird on the list but solitary house martin flew over this morning. A possible pair of cormorants at distance but didn't get on them before disappearing.

A really horrible near miss this morning! I looked out of the kitchen window this morning to see a Stork species drifting past. I didn't have my binoculars on me, so ran to get them and then sprinted outside, but it had flown out of site! I can't believe it! I'm fairly certain it was a Black Stork, rather than White, but not certain enough. This is going to pain me for a long time.....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back