• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (1 Viewer)

My commisérations Gregor, I know that feeling too, I think I had a Red-footed Falcon over the house last week as I was unloading the shopping, but like your stork, it had gone before I got the bins out of the car - still I'm sure there'll be another one along in the next decade, so "Chin up old chap" ;)

Richard

#35 Brambling (female)
#36 Lesser Whitethroat
#37 Redstart
#38 Common Swift
#39 Common Tern
#40 Barnacle Goose (a lot...)
#41 Pied Flycatcher
#42 Wryneck
#43 Thrush Nightingale
#44 Swallow

62. Honey-buzzard
Second garden record- awesome! This one flew over this afternoon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 52
Not quite as good as Black stork, but not shabby!

Makes my latest addition seem a bit low quality:

68 Alpine Swift

They breed just a few miles away on the mountain, sometimes it's mid-summer before they wander over the house, so it was nice to see them cavorting overhead yesterday after thick fog-like cloud and only 6°C all morning!

Richard

Makes my latest addition seem a bit low quality:

68 Alpine Swift

They breed just a few miles away on the mountain, sometimes it's mid-summer before they wander over the house, so it was nice to see them cavorting overhead yesterday after thick fog-like cloud and only 6°C all morning!

Richard

I wouldn't mind one of those! If that's a bit low quality, what does that make mine- number 63: Linnet??

I wouldn't mind one of those! If that's a bit low quality, what does that make mine- number 63: Linnet??

Now Linnet, that would be a good one, less than annual around here!!
Are we allowed to swap, ie, if I see another Alpine Swift and you see another Linnet?
No, I suppose not, 'it's not cricket' is it! ;)

Doing my best to keep up with the Alps :)

115. Common Swift :)

Hah, just wait till the Nutcracker starts raiding my hazelnut tree, top trumps or what!

Anyway, a lovely birdy day here, including the amazing experience (especially for someone who spent his first 45 years of birding in UK) of FOUR Marsh Warblers singing in an area about the size of 2 tennis courts behind our place this morning, the Cuckoo taking an interest in all the action of course.
The local Grey Wags finally did a garden fly past, and my earliest ever House Martin (they breed 5 miles away so I usually have to wait for young birds to wander up).

69 House Martin
70 Grey Wagtail

Hah, just wait till the Nutcracker starts raiding my hazelnut tree, top trumps or what!

:t: Nutcracker is the last species that I am guaranteed to get this year, the annual influx should start mid-August ...numerous birds stuff themselves on the hazel and spent each day flying back and fro like top-heavy jays

Attachments

• Nutcracker labanoras 1.jpg
    Nutcracker labanoras 1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 44
Still languishing on 63, however at 364 to 1!!!! It's Happy Birthday today for both of us :eek!:

Really? Have we got the same birthday?! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KEN! B :) I got taken down to the new reserve at Medmerry to see the nesting Black-winged Stilts! A Sussex tick that I won't forget..........sore legs as you have to walk miles but it was worth it.

Last edited:
Really? Have we got the same birthday?! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KEN! B :) I got taken down to the new reserve at Medmerry to see the nesting Black-winged Stilts! A Sussex tick that I won't forget

........sore legs as you have to walk miles but it was worth it.

Imagine doing it on Stilts though?;) ...yes not just neck and neck on occasion, but the same ''Birthday''...here are a few April birds from Cyprus....three short of a full squadron :t:

Attachments

• BWStilts....3 short of a full squadron..jpg
    BWStilts....3 short of a full squadron..jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 47
136. Black-crowned Night-Heron -- two birds flying over together.
137. Bank Swallow -- flying over.
138. Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Absolute mega bird today ...was reclining on my deckchair when a bit of commotion amongst a pair of Lapwings on a damp patch a little to my left. Walked over to investigate, two chicks they had, cute little bundles.

However, walking back to my deckchair, a 'gull' appeared quite distant to the south - still haven't seen Common Gull yet this year, so naturally put the bins up ...oh giggy me, it was not a gull, but a splendid pale-phase Arctic Skua flying directly towards me!!!

Given I am over 300 km from the coast (and that coast is the Baltic Sea, not really a sea at all), an Arctic Skua was this was really one of the last things I was expecting to see!

Over it went, straight overhead and off to the north, 163rd species for my plot.

116. Arctic Skua

Last edited:
Arctic Skua? - that's definitely 'out of order, mate'.
We're also nearly 300km from the sea (and the Alps are in the way!), so I'm taking this on the chin and being optimistic, it could happen here - perhaps................

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back