• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2022 (2 Viewers)

I think Jos may be inferring it would be best put down as a raptor sp. and one that got away! No offence but it's always tempting to squeeze/put things into boxes and we'd like to put a name to (or in this case, an additional number as well) - can't always do and more honest to keep unid-ed sometimes.

(Not getting into any id conundrums contortions!)
To attempt to put it into some sort of context Dan, we’re all wired differently…thank Christ!
I’ve always been an extremely severe judge and jury on myself, to give you an example on Aug 22nd 2020, I had a circa one second view of a Melodious Warbler on a dead branch in my neighbour’s garden.

Beautifully lit, with long flesh coloured bill, bland face, tea coloured upperparts and cream coloured underparts. It was a clinically cold ID
However I immediately realised how this might appear if put out….thus I didn’t, (it had vanished anyway) nor did I put it on BF garden birds as some cross referencing takes place between members of BF and other media.

To say I was miffed at picking up my bins instead of my camera…would be a severe understatement, had I imaged it…I’d have put it out. This year, I’ve had several very brief views of rapidly disappearing Goshawk, once again no images…just to quick, thus not included in my year list….takes all kinds Dan.👍

To attempt to put it into some sort of context Dan, we’re all wired differently…thank Christ!
I’ve always been an extremely severe judge and jury on myself, to give you an example on Aug 22nd 2020, I had a circa one second view of a Melodious Warbler on a dead branch in my neighbour’s garden.

Beautifully lit, with long flesh coloured bill, bland face, tea coloured upperparts and cream coloured underparts. It was a clinically cold ID
However I immediately realised how this might appear if put out….thus I didn’t, (it had vanished anyway) nor did I put it on BF garden birds as some cross referencing takes place between members of BF and other media.

To say I was miffed at picking up my bins instead of my camera…would be a severe understatement, had I imaged it…I’d have put it out. This year, I’ve had several very brief views of rapidly disappearing Goshawk, once again no images…just to quick, thus not included in my year list….takes all kinds Dan.👍
It does indeed, it does indeed.

;)

I think we're probably talking about different things. You've probably confused most of us on here even more now Ken! So you've seen a dead-cert Goshawk, but aren't ticking it because it was not seen for very long. Either it was one (and you picked up enough key features in that momentary view for confirmation to yourself) or it was a possible Goshawk. You seem to be making life difficult for yourself! Go on, just tick it ... ;-)

My previous point is there is absolutely no shame in having an unidentified sp. - doesn't make anyone any less of a birder (in fact probably the opposite).

Agree with you that a photo can be sometimes be more damning - and can show inconcistencies that weren't apparent in the field. Going back to your images of Marsh/Honey - it isn't even that you were saying it was either - you admit that it isn't good for one but are still ticking it (iirc - I haven't been back to that thread).

;)

Not sure about Nuthatch status down here in Cornwall.

Suzi bought a sonar cat-deterrant from Amazon c£20 - seems to have flipped the cats from the garden enough that we've seen a Robin and a Blackbird in the garden in the last week :eek: (Cats on both sides of us). She also bought a Super Soaker - a few direct hits and now they leg it as soon as it makes an appearance even before the window is opened ...

(Good effort on stats btw (nb - cumulative has 2 'u's btw). I really need to update with the few additions since I last posted!)
Unfortunately the Cats are covering a large area of scrub adjacent to the garden, far too large to deter them.
We have a lot of American servicemen and women, who allegedly, abandon their Cats when they return home. I expect that’s where they are from. I have googled feral cats but most information deals with caring for them rather than getting rid of them. We do have Foxes, so I’m hoping for them to step up and do their bit.

(Thanks for the English lesson 😚)

Unfortunately the Cats are covering a large area of scrub adjacent to the garden, far too large to deter them.
We have a lot of American servicemen and women, who allegedly, abandon their Cats when they return home. I expect that’s where they are from. I have googled feral cats but most information deals with caring for them rather than getting rid of them. We do have Foxes, so I’m hoping for them to step up and do their bit.

(Thanks for the English lesson 😚)
Ha, I didn't want to, but couldn't resist. Important titles (including here on BF) are often mispelt when they otherwise wouldn't be - there must be some weird reason why so! - just thought you'd want to know lol.

Cats - don't think the issue ever really gets addressed properly - I guess wildlife charities would take unnecessary flak if the issue of feral cats were ever to come up? It must be possible to trap them (in a box) and donate them to a cat shelter? You could get them humanely dealt with, but if it ever came out ... so probably best not to explore that route ... ? There must be a proper route - they are a non-native introduced species after all.

It does indeed, it does indeed.

;)

I think we're probably talking about different things. You've probably confused most of us on here even more now Ken! So you've seen a dead-cert Goshawk, but aren't ticking it because it was not seen for very long. Either it was one (and you picked up enough key features in that momentary view for confirmation to yourself) or it was a possible Goshawk. You seem to be making life difficult for yourself! Go on, just tick it ... ;-)

My previous point is there is absolutely no shame in having an unidentified sp. - doesn't make anyone any less of a birder (in fact probably the opposite).

Agree with you that a photo can be sometimes be more damning - and can show inconcistencies that weren't apparent in the field. Going back to your images of Marsh/Honey - it isn't even that you were saying it was either - you admit that it isn't good for one but are still ticking it (iirc - I haven't been back to that thread).

;)
From my perspective it was a two horse race, shape wise (from the images taken) it looked good for Marsh Harrier, although in the field (nanosecond) it looked more Buzzard.

I won’t repeat my take on the underwing that still stands for me, knowing how bad/good the images can be over distance with my camera taken into consideration, I felt it was better for HB.

Regarding Goshawk, because “virtually” all my views are on a diminishing return, we’re talking a second or two before a visibly heavy Accipiter disappears low either into, or just creasing the canopy…then gone, it has become a private “imaging issue” between it and I, thus I must have an image before adding to list, not wishing to sound virtuous…but there you go! 😮

Unexpected bonus just before midnight last night ...on a wet rainy night, a female Nightjar on my access track, it then sailed off into the darkness across my meadow.

Had a roosting pair for two days in May 2020, but didn't think I had much of a chance of getting again (they are common breeders a few kilometres away, but I lack suitable habitat for them on my plot)

126. Nightjar

Unexpected bonus just before midnight last night ...on a wet rainy night, a female Nightjar on my access track, it then sailed off into the darkness across my meadow.

Had a roosting pair for two days in May 2020, but didn't think I had much of a chance of getting again (they are common breeders a few kilometres away, but I lack suitable habitat for them on my plot)

126. Nightjar
I’ve put a nice lichen covered log in the garden here Jos, just in case a Nightjar should stop off on migration 🤞.
After two weeks in our beloved Armenia we returned to find our nest box Blue Tits had fledged and that some of the sheep had spent a nice time eating and trampling our flowers and young shrubs, I shall demand a discount this year when we buy a lamb for the freezer!
Birdsong has naturally decreased since we left in late May, but one welcome squeaky song this morning

79 Short-toed Treecreeper

I suspected breeding last year as there was a male in April and a juvenile in late July but at 1000m asl we’re at the upper limit for the species here so today’s bird may well just be a failed or finished breeder from lower down, June has been kind to me in the past for wanderers like this, a Melodious Warbler, Nightingale or Common Whitethroat would be nice………….

Mis(under)counted on my previous post, better late than never….a Common Tern over this am puts me on number 70.
Considering I’ve seen them on both lakes circa mile either side of my abode on several occasions, now just ten behind same time last year.😩

Last edited:

126. Nightjar
Now, as you had finished your "lake" (I think), you can start to build up sandy hill and grow some pines there. After about 50 years you have good habitat for Nightjars. 😁

"Long time, no see".

#52. Common Redstart - I think it nest is somewhere close. I heard it sings every day if I'm home.

#53. Common Swift - Several every day circling above.

#54. Willow Warbler
#55. Common Whitethroat

#56. Oystercatcher

#57. Grey Heron
#58. Common Tern

#59. Little Gull - Allways nice to see... or hear. 😁

27. Hooded Oriole
I have been seeing quite a few of these the last few weeks as I drive in or out of our complex. In fact (well, not really), they filled every tree in the neighborhood except the trees visible from my apartment. Finally, one came to one of my hummingbird feeders.

Last edited:
Eighty up, I was pretty sure that some very distant swifts flying in front of an approaching storm were this species, fortunately one peeled off from the squadron and came straight over the house

80 Alpine Swift

Firsts for the year here we’re equally divided between late May twice and mid July twice up to now.

June 23rd
60 Chiffchaff
- a very brief stop in next door's apple tree

I was on 69 this time last year. Sitting out at night next to my moth trap has not produced anything in the way of nocturnal calls yet.

Not a year tick but 2 Red Kite over east during the day. Was working on (finally) putting the ridge tiles back on the roof, joined by a Hummingbird Hawk Moth a couple of times, first of the year.

Also have a tub full of Mullein Moth caterpillars in the fridge having a brief holiday before I move them on to their new home ... ;-) they've completely stripped the Figwort in the front garden and probably not too many other suitable foodplants in the garden ...

No doubt about it this time, this morning I located a pair of Short-toed Treecreeper nesting in next door's garden!! Judging by the frequency of visits and the size of prey items the young must be not far off fledging, as no doubt are the Fieldfare nestlings which also receive regular deliveries of worms (and our raspberries!). The adults are VERY aggressive towards any Crow or Buzzard that should happen to stray too close and alarm if anyone walks down the road too. Black Redstart are also feeding young in a nest on next door's garage and Great Tit doing likewise in one of our nestboxes. A pair of Kestrel must have a nest close by judging by the regularity of their calling - it's all go I tell thee(y) A nice Roe Deer was in the field opposite this morning while the valley was resounding to the sound of the bells and bleating of c1000 sheep as they were marched from the village up to their mountain pasture home for the next 5 months. Funnily enough, three Griffon Vultures appeared up there this afternoon ..........

Attachments

• b red.jpg
    b red.jpg
    886.2 KB · Views: 5
  • G des j 1.jpg
    G des j 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • g des j3.jpg
    g des j3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4913.JPG
    IMG_4913.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
At last a RARE!….first one for a good few years.😮

Attachments

• 2D41ECBA-104F-4B25-9331-85DDD6C4979B.jpeg
    2D41ECBA-104F-4B25-9331-85DDD6C4979B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
At last a RARE!….first one for a good few years.😮
A nice juvvie too I think which is good news! Surprise here yesterday with a juvenile Spotted Flycatcher being fed by an adult so surely bred very nearby, so much for my skill at monitoring breeding activity this Spring:rolleyes:

Attachments

• g.gris 26.6.22.jpg
    g.gris 26.6.22.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 0
That’s the only way I’m likely to find a Black/Cinerous Vulture though ;)
Quite right Richard.
Indeed this is the time of “screwing the mince pies”…into the skies!
I’ve had a few good birds between Spring and Autumn home and (“abroad”UK)….much effort required and some help from the gods.😮

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back