• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (5 Viewers)

Typical Snipe flight call
You mean the 'squelch' alarm?

Barn Owl has a rolling rrr alarm call which is v similar to the Snipe drumming irrc, that was what I was thinking of. I heard it with Tawny's in winter too, so I guess it was an interaction between the two.

I guess a Tawny Owl could quite easily flush a Snipe when patrolling about!

Last edited:
Nice morning, blue skies and barely any wind. Lots of birds around, including three new species. I heard a (XVII) Jay when opening the window this morning. A bit later I saw a (XVIII) Shorttoed Treecreeper, and the first two (XIX) Greenfinches of the year. All commoners, but nice to have them ticked of for the 2024 garden in Zurich.

Sat down for a list reconciliation today and found I'd missed adding two more birds to the 2024 garden list.

40. Canada Goose has occurred twice so far - four together and then a flock of 20.
41. Sparrowhawk male over yesterday, I was cued onto it by a tight and vocal flockette of Starlings.

Cheers

John

Having the scope set up in the bedroom this morning was a boon. Even then, some of the waders were just too distant to id.
However: a Lesser black-backed Gull came right by, otherwise I would have dismissed it as they are very rare here in winter.
Not so the 3 Great black-backed Gulls that passed distance-ward - they are regular on the estuary year round.
A second Cormorant went by and 3 possible Redpolls, which I won't count, but the 2 Reed Buntings were identiable.
So, so far today, 5 new birds!

=55

Sorry, Ken!

january 27th
50. Stock Dove
- one over

#50 last year was a Chiffchaff on March 25th so almost two months better so far this time.

Despite 25 species in my morning watch today I could only list nine for the RSPB Garden Birdwatch - and a total of just 15 individuals.

Managed 3 year ticks today Pheasant, Mallard and Pink Footed Goose. Also 4 Roe Deer were the most together in a while. Had a total mystery the other night there was an almighty flutter of wings outside the bedroom window. I instantly went to look but it had gone. I was wondering if it was possibly a local.Tawny having a go at catching a mammal on my open bird feeding area. Other than.that I'm puzzled.

#53 Caspian Gull, a 1st win/2CY bird flew over yesterday afternoon. As with all my sightings of these I spend all the time watching and not photographing, as I want to make sure what I’ve got. I’ll try for a shot of the next one - typically a few each year.

The default large Gull here is LBBG by a long way, but Herring, YLG and Caspian occur in that order. GBBG is the rarest big Gull.

Last year was poor for Gulls, I’m pretty dependant on which fields around here are being used for Pigs. This winter there have been a lot more Gulls, but strangely no YLG yet for me.

This afternoon a #54 Red Kite drifted over, my first ever January record (only December is a blank). I spotted it from the living room, but by the time I got out of the front door it was behind the trees.

Managed 3 year ticks today Pheasant, Mallard and Pink Footed Goose. Also 4 Roe Deer were the most together in a while. Had a total mystery the other night there was an almighty flutter of wings outside the bedroom window. I instantly went to look but it had gone. I was wondering if it was possibly a local.Tawny having a go at catching a mammal on my open bird feeding area. Other than.that I'm puzzled.
You shouldn't hear a Tawny Owl's wings I'd have thought? An almighty flutter smacks of Woodpigeon to me - maybe flushed out of its roost by something.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back