• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (7 Viewers)

Grey Heron is one of my hoped for before the end of the month..... A bonus this at dawn this morning when I heard a Redpoll buzzing before finding it in a treetop, a first ever January record for here for this less than annual visitor, all other sightings were between October and March and always singles.

38 Lesser Redpoll

Siskin numbers topped 20 on this frosty morning and three Hawfinch keep fighting each other for squatting rights to the feeder tray, though they tolerate the smaller finches (who have their own battles to fight!).

Attachments

• DSCN0284.JPG
    DSCN0284.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0298.JPG
    DSCN0298.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0306.JPG
    DSCN0306.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0290.JPG
    DSCN0290.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Mabe, Cornwall -

January 7th:

18. Great Black-backed Gull - 2 distantly in flight over Falmouth
How could I have forgotten the drake Mallard which flew over?

19. Mallard

I also had a slightly confusing pigeon on next doors roof, but realised it was probably a Feral Pigeon (or fat racing pigeon) which a neighbour further down the road has as a 'pet', so won't count that (standards etc ... )

January 9th:

20. Chaffinch -

I was half-expecting seeing Pinkfeet this morning...........
January 10th
44. Pink-footed Goose
- frustratingly heard-only, a skein at 0925 never came into view from behind the surrounding houses
45. Great Black-backed Gull - two adults south
It was February 10th before I reached #45 last year, so a good start this time.

With at least 2 displaying Sprawks outback ystrdy (wall to wall blue), and a not dissimilar start today, went out on patch to find a bunch of Fieldfare just c200+m from my back gate (hopefully a sign of the “beast from the East” to come🙏).
I wondered if they might put in an appearance over my abode, alas that was not to be, however when the “Chaffinch” alighted my magic tree, I raised the bins to check it’s gender…less than annual and yet to be reported locally…it made me want to put out “the bunting”…..or should it be something else.😊
No.45.

Attachments

• IMG_9572.jpeg
    IMG_9572.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9588.jpeg
    IMG_9588.jpeg
    892 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9589.jpeg
    IMG_9589.jpeg
    478.4 KB · Views: 6
View attachment 1553023

It seems that Nov & Dec records for me are 50:50 in any given year, but Jan & Feb much less likely.

I had another nearby today too. I guess this relatively mild winter is being kind to them.
Whereas in Cornwall I have yet to see one locally anywhere at all this year ... despite visiting a fair few sites and hours in the field. Shocking. (One tristis type only - no nominate types).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back