• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (2 Viewers)

Wigeon
Tree Sparrow
Wren
Collared Dove
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Bar-tailed Godwit
Dunlin
Knot
Robin
Great Black-backed Gull
Kestrel
Pink-footed Goose
Pintail
Gadwall
Marsh Harrier
Brent Goose
Moorhen
Black-tailed Godwit
Golden Plover
You must have the sort of garden I would like!

Snow, rain or low cloud ever day since the 1st, except the 3rd when it as nice weather but I was the ‘Tour Guide’ around Geneva for our Kiwi family (not real Kiwis of course;)). A Red Kite over the Geneva Cathedral was a nice sight but there was not time to pay my 2024 respects to the Spotted Sandpiper down there. So just the one to add so far today, as it flew through the blizzard:

34 Woodpigeon

One more for me this morning:

35 Great Spotted Woodpecker

Curiously I haven’t heard or seen the Middle Spotted yet, it was a daily visitor in December!

Encouraging to find 4 Alpine Accentor just 10 minutes’ walk up the road this morning, the next heavy fall of snow should bring them to the house (I hope….)

#39 - 42 today:

Marsh Tit
Chaffinch
Goldcrest
Canada Goose

To be fair I probably could have seen these in the last few days, if I’d put in more effort. Nonetheless happy to see the yearlist jog along.

I’m not counting (obviously) Yellow-billed Pintail, which I’ve seen for 4 years running now. It moves up and down the valley. Nor Farmyard Goose (pic), which I’ve only seen once before, it seems to have hitched itself up with a handful of Canada Geese, and is quite vocal.

IMG_0534.jpeg

Spent a bit of time watching Little Grebes from the bathroom window this afternoon.

View attachment IMG_0540.mov

Jan 5th
#13 Great Spotted Woodpecker

Today

At dawn I was sitting on computer when I heard Corvids made cacophony behind sealed curtains. I turned off lights and opened curtains, Hooded Crows, Jackdaws and Magpies flying around and racket about. I know there was some predator somewhere close. It was hard to found but then I noticed that nearby oak tree sat an:
#14 Tawny Owl - Garden lifer. My first from any house that I've lived ✌️ I felt sorry for the Owl when the crows rushed towards it, and it didn't stay here for long.

an hour later:
#15 Waxwing - I thought they are all gone for now, cos there have not been available for a berries for ages

Attachments

• cdeerP3060346.jpg
    cdeerP3060346.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • cdeerP3060219.jpg
    cdeerP3060219.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 8
  • cdeerP3060128.jpg
    cdeerP3060128.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Had a bit more time yesterday to look out for garden birds. Got the rather obvious (VIII) Blue Tit and (IX) House Sparrow. Also saw two (X) Wood Pigeons which actually didn't seem impressed with the offerings, and they left quite fast. I was lucky to glimpse outside at the right time while on the phone, and spotted a flyover (XI) Gray Herron.

Most interesting was, what I initially though would be a Marsh Tit at the neighbors feeder, however, I realized that it was actually bigger than the Great Tit it was sitting next too, and it didn't have enough black on its head. I got the bins and realized that it was a rather scruffy and cold looking (XII) Blackcap.

Last edited:
Another productive morning two hours.........

January 7th.
37. Grey Heron
- 2 flew north
38. Long-tailed Tit - oddly, just one
39. Whooper Swan - 15 flew NW at 1024, #107 for my garden list
40. Wren - one

Today has been remarkable for Whooper Swans locally. Three waters in the county have flocks of 26, 19 and 3 plus there have been seven reports of birds heading west or NW totalling 115. Also two skeins of Pinkfeet going NW, both within two miles of me!

Normally a wall to wall blue yonder here at this time doesn’t produce much, however this am was an exception!
Picked up very high and Northbound in perfect light….a male Bullfinch no.40.
Hoping to get some snow in the next few days, that should produce a bit more action.🙏

Congratulations on No. 107 Steve!
Another gloomy day with almost constant sleet and snow, but a brief lull tempted a Sparrowhawk out of the forest and the MSW finally put in an appearance. More Yellowhammer today too, around 45 I estimate. Photos of a few of our visitors attached.

36 Sparrowhawk
37 Middle Spotted Woodpecker

Attachments

• PIC MAR 7.1.24.jpg
    PIC MAR 7.1.24.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 11
  • y hmme 7.1.24.jpg
    y hmme 7.1.24.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0259.JPG
    DSCN0259.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 12