• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gateshead birding (1 Viewer)

Red Kite Nest Viaduct Viewing Point

salty said:
superb, thanks June.

Red Kite Nest
The Viewing Event has opened at the Viaduct on the Derwent Walk.
We had 158 people there yesterday........ walkers, cyclists, wheelchair walkers and babies in various carriers!
We can't see the actual nest, but maybe that is a good thing. The male did some lovely flying for us, and on one occasion discovered a thermal and just went higher and higher - and he was gone!
Even when there are no kites, there are other things of interest: a kingfisher in the river below the viaduct, kestrels and a heron flew past on three occasions when we were there.

So, do go and have a look. The scenery is spectacular, the trees are beautiful and the company is very genial!
:clap:

June,is this viaduct close to the visitor centre?I would like to have a few hours ud there,but am not sure where i exactly is.

Thanks Les.

Nine arches viaduct for kite viewing

seahawk said:
June,is this viaduct close to the visitor centre?I would like to have a few hours ud there,but am not sure where i exactly is.

Thanks Les.

You may have already received my e-mail, but here is more info:-

Doug Ridgeway's map shows the position of the viaduct. You can see the approach from either direction.
Enjoy yourself!!! :t:

Attachments

• derwent-map1.png
    derwent-map1.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 110
News up-date from Northern Kites

:news:

Three pieces of good news:
1. Our chick at the Viaduct nest has fledged, a little earlier than expected, I think. Rhianne, our Events Officer caught sight of the youngster in the trees near to the nest site. Keith and Ken went to investigate and found the nest empty.
So, anyone going to the Viaduct from now until 30th July stands an excellent chance of seeing the whole family flying and enjoying the beautiful weather!

2. We have confirmation that there are two chicks in Teesdale. Again, Ken Sanderson has been rigorously monitoring the kites in Teesdale for months, and he was delighted when he discovered two chicks, which continue to thrive.

3. Last Thursday I went with Melanie Hills, our Education Officer, to Rowlands Gill Junior School. This school, which adopted Flame, is to move into a new school along with the Infant School. The children were invited to submit designs for their new school badge. The winning design is lovely, featuring a Red Kite, with the River Derwent flowing behind.

To date, we have had over 6,500 people at the viaduct....... a splendid reflection on how much people from all over (including a group of Cyclists from Belarus!) are taking these birds to their hearts.
:clap: :clap:

just a quick word to mention my local sparrowhawks have fledged well and are learning to hunt now.

superb close ups from my secret spot on top of a small hill, you dont even need binos to watch them. think they dont mind coming close to me!

sparrowhawks

salty said:
just a quick word to mention my local sparrowhawks have fledged well and are learning to hunt now.

superb close ups from my secret spot on top of a small hill, you dont even need binos to watch them. think they dont mind coming close to me!

I know they get a bad press for taking smaller birds (took two of ours this season!), I still think they are such handsome birds. Come to think of it, we haven't seen our regular one for a week or two - wonder if he's wandered over to your secret spot on top of the hill!!

northern kites web site

hutch said:
hi june it might be me being abit thick (i have been called )worst. but all the pages on
[URL=http://]www.northernkites.org.uk[/url] are from oct 06 i know it will be me but i do love me kites o:) o:)

I know you do! Our site is managed and maintained "in-house" at Gateshead Council, something we are grateful for, but it does mean that up-dates may not be as frequent as you might find on a private web site.

That's why I post any new information, to keep all Birdforum members in the picture. I'll mention your concerns and perhaps get some idea as to when the official site will be up-dated.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back