• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glaucous or Iceland Gull - Simcoe, Ontario (1 Viewer)

chipster454

Hello again. I was in Simcoe trying to find a Glaucous-winged Gull that has been hanging around the marina for a few weeks. I wasn't able to find it, but I did spot two gulls that apear to me to be either Glaucous or Iceland Gulls. I'm not too strong with my gull Identification though. A fellow birder who seemed very knowledgeable told me they were both Glaucous Gulls. Checking my pictures through the Merlin bird app, shows them both as Iceland Gulls though. Not sure who I should believe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Simcoe Gull (2).JPG
    Simcoe Gull (2).JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 90
  • Simcoe Gull.JPG
    Simcoe Gull.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I'm with you. The left-most gull in the second pic would be a better glaucous candidate but we can't see crucial details (eye appears yellowish to me).

I'm with you. The left-most gull in the second pic would be a better glaucous candidate but we can't see crucial details (eye appears yellowish to me).
You can’t see it in the picture, but that bird had black wing tips/tail. so we’re pretty certain the two in question are iceland gulls?

You can’t see it in the picture, but that bird had black wing tips/tail. so we’re pretty certain the two in question are iceland gulls?
Yes (for me). In the first pic the bill is obviously shorter than the primary projection, the base of the bill isn't pinky enough and the pale colour isn't obviously as much as 2/3 of the length. Head is rounded, bird looks dainty etc etc

Ok. Iceland they are then. I've got one more for you. Looks like a Thayer's Gull beside a Ring-Billed to me. Am I Right?

Attachments

• Simcoe Gull (3).JPG
    Simcoe Gull (3).JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back